Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 09-30-2021, 12:37 AM   #15
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
5g ZL1s are pretty slow to 140 in stock trim. esp if it's a m6 car, where driver can play a huge role.
Old 09-30-2021, 11:55 AM   #16
Modernmusclecar

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
They can run high 11s in stock forum. I dont see you gapping one especially on a roll.Zl1 driver in the wrong gear likely.
EPS CUSTOM GRIND CAM....K@N CAI....VMAX PTB.....FRANKENSTEIN STAGE 2 HEADS ...1 7/8 STAINLESS POWER CATTED LONGTUBE HEADERS...CORSA XTREME 3 INCH CATBACK.....CIRCLE D 3800 Pro Series stall...391 gears.....Ported/modded GPI intake .Forgestar drag pack with Mickey Thompson ET street drag radials AGP PERFORMANCE DYNO TUNED. 463 WHP 428 FTLBS TORQUE.
Modernmusclecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:44 PM   #17
taylorforschool@gmail.com
PKG4U

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
The 5th gen ZL1 despite being heavy, still has a better power to weight ratio than a 6th gen LT1 Camaro. That extra power should also be more obvious as speeds climb. I'm guessing he wasn't in the right gear, or something else happened. They should at least be even, I wouldn't expect an LT1 to gap a 5th gen ZL1.
I didn’t either. It wasn’t a significant gap. I was maybe exaggerating a tad based on my enthusiasm.. I would say 70-120 roll I had him by a car length. Maybe perhaps there were issues.. either way if I am ever to be fortunate enough to upgrade, the only options I see right now are the c7 c8 or ZL1 6th gen platforms for me. Nothing against that 5th ZL1, IMO it was just evident that new technology usually wins and I have total blower/supercharger envy being only ever NA and STOCK UNDER WARRANTY.. 23k on the ODO now so that leaves me with approximately 37k ish left on bumper to bumper.. I’m trying to last until the warranty is up but I probably won’t… I can tell this platform is so amazing.. and I thought the 5th gen would of easily walked me I was mistaken

Mods after Warranty “Imma keep it stock”
taylorforschool@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 06:10 AM   #18
Z Boss
Camaro Addiction

Drives: 68SS81Z2887IROC97Z28SS,12ZL1,22ZLE
How quickly we forget how impressive the car was and how excited Camaro fans were when the 2012 ZL1 with 580 supercharged horsepower, mag ride and fat sticky tires was available to purchase for $60K. BTW, that was 10 years ago. Time flies!!
2012 Camaro ZL1 VIN #0004
ZL1, Ashen Grey, Black Leather, 6 speed, suede, exposed carbon fiber weave, gray stripe
Current Status: Cruisin' !!
3800 Produced: 1/27/2012
6000 Delivered To Customer: 4/27/2012
Z Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 06:32 AM   #19
Venomcustom
Hard to want.

Drives: 2020 red hot 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Boss View Post
How quickly we forget how impressive the car was and how excited Camaro fans were when the 2012 ZL1 with 580 supercharged horsepower, mag ride and fat sticky tires was available to purchase for $60K. BTW, that was 10 years ago. Time flies!!
I’d still rather have a 5th gen ZL1 than the LT1. Better looking and easy to build a ton of hp.
Venomcustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 07:39 AM   #20
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomcustom View Post
I’d still rather have a 5th gen ZL1 than the LT1. Better looking and easy to build a ton of hp.
Maybe cheaper to build a ton of power on a 5th gen ZL1, because upgraded port injection fuel systems are cheaper. Non LSA owners seem to forget that the LSA is not forged like an LT4 and that the LSA factory blower beomes a restriction choke point rather quickly. An LT1 will make a ton of power just like an LSA, but it costs more on an LT1 due to a much more expensive fuel system upgrade and the LT1 would need an LT4 blower swap to fairly compare it to an LSA. Better looking is subjective, I think my 2020 LT1 looks better than a 5th gen ZL1 both inside and out.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 09:38 AM   #21
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Boss View Post
How quickly we forget how impressive the car was and how excited Camaro fans were when the 2012 ZL1 with 580 supercharged horsepower, mag ride and fat sticky tires was available to purchase for $60K!
i always kind of felt sorry for those owners back in the day. cool cars, but performance was not at the top of the 5g list.

ill admit, back in 17 when i started looking into getting a more modern fun car, the 5g 1LE & ZL1 were both considerations. for some reason, i thought i needed a back seat, which has been used about once a year since i bought the car. i should've bought a vette, oh well.
Old 10-02-2021, 01:24 PM   #22
Modernmusclecar

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
Maybe cheaper to build a ton of power on a 5th gen ZL1, because upgraded port injection fuel systems are cheaper. Non LSA owners seem to forget that the LSA is not forged like an LT4 and that the LSA factory blower beomes a restriction choke point rather quickly. An LT1 will make a ton of power just like an LSA, but it costs more on an LT1 due to a much more expensive fuel system upgrade and the LT1 would need an LT4 blower swap to fairly compare it to an LSA. Better looking is subjective, I think my 2020 LT1 looks better than a 5th gen ZL1 both inside and out.
My buddy has a 2021 Lt1 in white with the RS package. Although I think the Lt1 looks better then the 6th gen SS....I find it nowhere near the same looks wise as the 5th gen Zl1. The 5th gen styling is classic..looks are subjective but dont forget 5th gen Zl1 is a cam and pully upgrade awawy from being well over 600 whp. They are solid performers but are certainly heavy.
EPS CUSTOM GRIND CAM....K@N CAI....VMAX PTB.....FRANKENSTEIN STAGE 2 HEADS ...1 7/8 STAINLESS POWER CATTED LONGTUBE HEADERS...CORSA XTREME 3 INCH CATBACK.....CIRCLE D 3800 Pro Series stall...391 gears.....Ported/modded GPI intake .Forgestar drag pack with Mickey Thompson ET street drag radials AGP PERFORMANCE DYNO TUNED. 463 WHP 428 FTLBS TORQUE.
Modernmusclecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:30 AM   #23
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Talking

My seat of the pants feeling was about the same when I test drove an AT C7 Corvette comparing its speed VS my gen 5 AT Camaro ZL1, they felt similarly fast, the ZL1 with 580 HP but it was heavier VS the C7 Stingray which was lighter but with just 460 HP. I remember that I have to learn to use the PTM to be able to control the back of my 5 gen ZL1 because it love to kick the back sideways under power specially when wet or low temperature were present, also switched to all weather tires that also help me control the beast. At that time I also compared the outside look of the 5th gen ZL1 VS the new '16 Camaro SS and thought that the 5th gen ZL1 had that awesome muscle car look with that hood bulge and front look, also considered that it had better rear seats that were practical because I used them frequently with my growing up kids.
I can't talk bad about my previous 5th gen ZL1 because it was a great car that I missed it, and considered that I made a mistake when I replaced it with my unreliable '14 AT Corvette C7 Z51, which looked great and performed great, but most of its time it was at the repair shop, until I got tired of it and went back to a newer 6th gen Camaro.
Now I have a great experience with the well balanced performance of my '16 Camaro SS wich is lighter, has the amazing "Alpha platform", handles as good as the prior BMW M3, and best of all has a 6MT.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 10-05-2021 at 07:41 AM.
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote