Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 08-31-2015, 08:34 PM   #29
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
I would buy a new Z/28 in a heartbeat if it would fit in my budget, but it doesn't right now, so I'll wait.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:39 PM   #30
Lutzy72

Drives: 2014 Z28
I have one for sale at $61k w/650 miles. Has about 10k worth of extras. Not even a offer?? Tuff market
Lutzy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:47 PM   #31
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
wow...check out these deals...supposedly 500ish 2015 for sale now. No doubt a tough market.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:47 PM   #32
delphigto

Drives: 14 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutzy72 View Post
I have one for sale at $61k w/650 miles. Has about 10k worth of extras. Not even a offer?? Tuff market
Where's it listed? What's the extras?
10 2ss ERL 427 530 rwhp sold
14 1ss 1le
delphigto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:52 PM   #33
serviceguy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 # 89, 69 Camaro, 2013 ZL1
I owned a 2011 SS, then a 2013 ZL1, then a 2014 Z28 (#89) the Z28 is by the far the coolest Camaro. I've tracked it 2 times, and very few people own another Z/28. This the keeper Camaro for sure !

Very niche market and lack of awareness.
serviceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:05 PM   #34
kennerz

Drives: 2KSS
I'm a fan & a lurker. I own really nice 3rd and 4thgens. The main issue is the price vs. what else is out there. In SoCA you can get relatively new/used anything else for the range we're talking about (M,Cayman,Vette,anything dodge,Audi,etc..) And really for most anyone it is a second car. there is just a lot of factors for the Z to overcome to be a sales "Hit".

All that said, I love the Z but until the price drops in the 50's OTD can't really consider it, (I'm a finance professional, home owner,etc..) One inconsequential fact (I know it's not the design intent of the car)that I think subconsciously drives people crazy is the fact that on the street/strip, (So far) it doesn't really seem to get it done. when people report mid 13's/12.7's in the Quarter that doesn't excite your bench racers at all (which unfortunately is most people) when a $35K 5.0 mustang with long tubes and a handheld tuner can give your Z a hard time on the street that sucks, or a non hellcat SRT or scat pack can run with it in the 1/8 or 1/4. I'm sorry but that is in a lot of peoples minds(not mine, jus saying), for that money most want the versatility of something that can kick butt on the track and dominate on the street stoplight to stoplight both no matter how raw the car is. I think I'm just speaking for the silent majority here. Chevy might of been so affraid of warranty work that they detuned it a little to much, especially when the C6-Z was a real 11 second car.(I'm not knocking the Z28 just observations here) Oh and not have to send it to a tuner and build it to make it fast after already dropping a bunch of $$ then lose the warranty and potentially have a short engine life - and the LS7 has not the best reliabilty rep. (see corvette forum)

That all said I still want one, and will have the means when the opportunity comes. I think the 350R and the 2016 maro really hurt it as well. The flat plane motor on the 350R has to be one of the wickedest sounding v8's of all time & I'm a die Hard camaro fan & can admit that.

So I think it's kinda been proved out with the slumping sales between practicality and price point, not many people want to comit to pull the trigger on one. I however have convinced the mrs., and am watching the market closely.. it appears to be dropping by the week... the inventory is aging quickly. Since this is the net - I'm sure there will be no shortage of opinions vs. my opinion.

For those who currently own a Z, enjoy!

Last edited by kennerz; 08-31-2015 at 10:37 PM.
kennerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:57 PM   #35
Mikebrinda

Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
Stalin said there was a certain quality to quantity. But the inverse is also true: there is, eventually, a certain quality to scarcity.
Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:09 AM   #36
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennerz View Post
I'm a fan & a lurker. I own really nice 3rd and 4thgens. The main issue is the price vs. what else is out there. In SoCA you can get relatively new/used anything else for the range we're talking about (M,Cayman,Vette,anything dodge,Audi,etc..) And really for most anyone it is a second car. there is just a lot of factors for the Z to overcome to be a sales "Hit".

All that said, I love the Z but until the price drops in the 50's OTD can't really consider it, (I'm a finance professional, home owner,etc..) One inconsequential fact (I know it's not the design intent of the car)that I think subconsciously drives people crazy is the fact that on the street/strip, (So far) it doesn't really seem to get it done. when people report mid 13's/12.7's in the Quarter that doesn't excite your bench racers at all (which unfortunately is most people) when a $35K 5.0 mustang with long tubes and a handheld tuner can give your Z a hard time on the street that sucks, or a non hellcat SRT or scat pack can run with it in the 1/8 or 1/4. I'm sorry but that is in a lot of peoples minds(not mine, jus saying), for that money most want the versatility of something that can kick butt on the track and dominate on the street stoplight to stoplight both no matter how raw the car is. I think I'm just speaking for the silent majority here. Chevy might of been so affraid of warranty work that they detuned it a little to much, especially when the C6-Z was a real 11 second car.(I'm not knocking the Z28 just observations here) Oh and not have to send it to a tuner and build it to make it fast after already dropping a bunch of $$ then lose the warranty and potentially have a short engine life - and the LS7 has not the best reliabilty rep. (see corvette forum)

That all said I still want one, and will have the means when the opportunity comes. I think the 350R and the 2016 maro really hurt it as well. The flat plane motor on the 350R has to be one of the wickedest sounding v8's of all time & I'm a die Hard camaro fan & can admit that.

So I think it's kinda been proved out with the slumping sales between practicality and price point, not many people want to comit to pull the trigger on one. I however have convinced the mrs., and am watching the market closely.. it appears to be dropping by the week... the inventory is aging quickly. Since this is the net - I'm sure there will be no shortage of opinions vs. my opinion.

For those who currently own a Z, enjoy!

I do agree with you on all that you have said. I think you are right about the Z not being that quick on the street and a 5.0 stang probably would kick its butt and the others you mention would to.Now the new 350R I think has not hurt the Z because I think if I understand it right is going to be a very limited number built and not everyone will be able to get one and you know the dealers will rack the price up on the ones they get that are not a sold order. So for that reason maybe it will help out on Z as it being the same caliber of a car? I think this car [the Z/28] is a very good car and I think they got the problem fixed with this 427 as I have not read about any of the 14's or 15's having the trouble they have had in the past so after those who drive these cars gets some miles on them and people read that they have had no trouble will help this car out as far as re-sale. It is just going to take some time. But that might be the year 2050 at the rate it is going!
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:59 AM   #37
macwest

Drives: 10 Camaro 2SS/RS, 70 Cuda, 71 Cuda
too expensive so many car choices. If you already have a 5th gen and modified it cost does not warrant a change. This year we just bought a Scat pack. Will it handle like my camaro No but it is allot of fun to commute to work in and if I go to the track still have my camaro. When GM releases a 6th gen z/28 or zl1 I will look at it.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:29 AM   #38
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Flyer View Post
No goodies except a 427?

What about $15,000 carbon ceramic brakes?! DSSV dampers?! Aero-package that creates 400 lbs of downforce?!

That's reasonably exotic stuff for ~$60,000...
Trust me I mean no disrespect I love the Z/28 I believe it's one hell of a buy if you are into the autocross. For myself and 99.9% of the other population it is not a good buy. I would buy one to add to the garage she would be my show car.

Meaning creature comforts not performance items or the brakes. Now that you brought up the brakes yes the majority of folks are not ready to have to invest in another $15k into brakes down the road. For the average person now familiar with the Z/28 it’s just another Camaro.

-HUD, ABL, My link, Home link, heated seats, ect… These are the things people have come accustomed to as creature comforts.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:18 AM   #39
bptman

Drives: 2014 white Z/28
The dealers I have talked to lately are offering 5k below msrp at times and that is it.
And for someone looking for the AGM I saw one at Townsend Chevrolet just below Dover Delaware. And it is sitting outside I drove past it on 8/28/15. With the current
market condition many of us are more concerned with investment holdings taking a dive. It ain't good right now.
bptman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:15 AM   #40
Lutzy72

Drives: 2014 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphigto View Post
Where's it listed? What's the extras?
I posted it on here..
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=421542
Lutzy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:19 AM   #41
Quasimofo

Drives: 2015 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01pewterz28 View Post
Trust me I mean no disrespect I love the Z/28 I believe it's one hell of a buy if you are into the autocross. For myself and 99.9% of the other population it is not a good buy. I would buy one to add to the garage she would be my show car.

Meaning creature comforts not performance items or the brakes. Now that you brought up the brakes yes the majority of folks are not ready to have to invest in another $15k into brakes down the road. For the average person now familiar with the Z/28 it’s just another Camaro.

-HUD, ABL, My link, Home link, heated seats, ect… These are the things people have come accustomed to as creature comforts.
The brakes were the real sticking point for me on the Z/28. I've heard horror stories about the CC brakes on Porsches and how quickly the rotors themselves got worn out. So I read up on here, and asked around...

Pads for the Z/28 are expensive but not what I'd consider a dealbreaker. Rotors themselves are not cheap, but, if you can get approx 10 sets of pads worth of life out of each rotor as has been indicated... its not even an issue unless you live on the racetrack. My Z/28 will likely never see a racetrack, as such I don't expect to need to replace a single braking component before my 0.0% financing is up.
Quasimofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:15 AM   #42
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
There's one big reason why the PCCBs wear so quickly -- bad drivers. Now, I'm not saying that Porsche drivers are any better or worse than Z/28 drivers, that's NOT my point. What happens is that the Porsche uses the brakes as to help rotate the car. It's a sophisticated system that makes the rear-drive car unable to kill drivers who are over-driving the car.

This was driven home brutally hard a few months back. A friend showed up at an HPDE with the latest/greatest GT3. Seriously, these are beautiful, and it had all the good stuff. He asked if I wanted to go for a ride, and though I generally don't like being a passenger if the driver's not a Pro, I thought, "Why not?".

Huge mistake. I've never been carsick since I was age 6 (and the milk I thought tasted funny proved to be bad) but this was awful. It took every ounce of willpower and controlled breathing to not vomit inside my helmet. The guy was brutal -- absolutely BRUTAL -- with the controls. The opposite of smooth and incredibly abrupt.

My point is this -- in 911s of old, he would have been dead. I'll check back with him to see how quickly his pads wear out, but that car was correcting his mistakes for at least 75% of every lap.

I love the CC brakes on the Z/28, and they are a huge reason for the lap times the car posts. I can't believe how the car gobbles up smaller, lighter cars in the braking zones.