Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 01-25-2021, 12:12 PM   #1
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
another catch can thread

I made an interesting observation when I pulled my blower to replace a faulty HPFP last weekend: At 26k miles, there were no deposits on the back side of the valves and no evidence of oil anywhere in the intake tract.
This is in stark contrast to my findings at 16k miles, when I added most of the engine mods in my signature. At this time there was a noticeable though not excessive amount of buildup on the intake valve stems as well as a noticeable amount of oily residue in the intake tract. When I reinstalled the motor, I added a catch can.
I don’t want to start another catch can war, but this seems to be reasonably sound, objective evidence that catch cans do make a difference. I’ll post pics from my 16k tear down and from this past weekend, as soon as I can locate the older ones.
One would think that the valves in a cammed, FI motor with 10K miles would exhibit more buildup than a light bolt on car after 16k miles but this was not my experience. Looking at my mod log, the motor was bone stock until 12K miles. I added headers, CAI, and e85 sensor at 13k. I ran the blower on the stock short block for around 1200 miles. The cam, pistons/rods, LT4 fueling and catch can went on at 16k miles
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 12:22 PM   #2
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
I made an interesting observation when I pulled my blower to replace a faulty HPFP last weekend: At 26k miles, there were no deposits on the back side of the valves and no evidence of oil anywhere in the intake tract.
This is in stark contrast to my findings at 16k miles, when I added most of the engine mods in my signature. At this time there was a noticeable though not excessive amount of buildup on the intake valve stems as well as a noticeable amount of oily residue in the intake tract. When I reinstalled the motor, I added a catch can.
I don’t want to start another catch can war, but this seems to be reasonably sound, objective evidence that catch cans do make a difference. I’ll post pics from my 16k tear down and from this past weekend, as soon as I can locate the older ones.
One would think that the valves in a cammed, FI motor with 10K miles would exhibit more buildup than a light bolt on car after 16k miles but this was not my experience. Looking at my mod log, the motor was bone stock until 12K miles. I added headers, CAI, and e85 sensor at 13k. I ran the blower on the stock short block for around 1200 miles. The cam, pistons/rods, LT4 fueling and catch can went on at 16k miles
Which Catch Can did you install?
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 12:30 PM   #3
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
Which Catch Can did you install?
Might mouse can here. What are the peoples reasoning behind not "needing" a catch can? I'm blown away at how much my can catches after a couple track days
Old 01-25-2021, 01:08 PM   #4
Xaxas

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by That1guy_tim View Post
Might mouse can here. What are the peoples reasoning behind not "needing" a catch can? I'm blown away at how much my can catches after a couple track days
Just being contrarians, they can't fathom a $100 10 min install part is beneficial for the car... At worst the catch can doesn't do much, which is still SOMETHING

Previous: 2017 2LT aka "Noire"
Mods: Chevrolet Performance Suspension || K&N Cold Air Intake || Borla ATAK Mufflers + Catback system || MRR 650 ZL1 replicas with squared 285/30 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S || ZZP 4 piston brake kit + braided brake lines || BMR everything (Solid/Lockout cradle bushing are a MUST in Camaros)
Xaxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 01:36 PM   #5
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Oh great another catch can thread. Can’t wait till Elite Engineering shows up as usual to tell us they have the very best catch can on the market.
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:13 PM   #6
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
I was skeptical about a catch can on an N/A car. i came from boosted applications where I would see oil in the intercooler every time I got to look into it. Had an extra $175 before Christmas and said what the hell I will try one and see what happens. Picked up the Mishimoto Catch can and it was an easy install.
Fast forward to this past Friday to do an oil change on my car and check the catch can. Well there was about an inch of oil and smelled like unburnt fuel so I am a firm believer now that I see that it worked and captured all of that before it went back into my intake. Good day all
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:16 PM   #7
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackbeastSS2 View Post
Oh great another catch can thread. Can’t wait till Elite Engineering shows up as usual to tell us they have the very best catch can on the market.
Yep, I'm sure they will chime in shortly! All I've got is a comparitably modest JLT can. I'm also running a Metco oil filler cap equipped with a check valve for when the pcv system can't keep up.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote