Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-30-2011, 01:55 PM   #15
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapisok View Post
cat back = changing out everything from behind the catalytic converters including the stock H pipe which is generally converted to an X pipe or resonated X pipe.

axle back = replaces what is behind your rear axle. gets rid of the big ol ugly suitcase mufflers.

LT's = long tube headers which generate roughly 20-25 HP. with our vehicles they also throw a CEL (check engine light) due to the rear O2 sensor which requires a tune to turn it off. currently trifecta is the only tune that provides this option. with LT's, you'll lose your cats and resonator...at least with BBK's since they come with high flow cats. not sure of the other aftermarket suppliers setup.

Shorties = 12-15 HP and generally don't require a tune since most don't cause a CEL. i believe there was one manufacturer that was throwing a CEL with the shorties but i don't recall which one...Dough Thorleys? if i remember correctly. hopefully somebody else can chime in and correct me.
Doug Thorley is the only one that DOESN'T throw a CEL.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:58 PM   #16
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
haha...thanks for the correction.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:05 PM   #17
RedlightS
Powering It Up

Drives: Black 2011 2LT RS
so matter what I'll need the tune to keep the CEL off?
RedlightS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:19 PM   #18
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

not if your only doing exhaust
Old 12-30-2011, 03:22 PM   #19
RedlightS
Powering It Up

Quote:
not if your only doing exhaust
I meant if I got headers of any kind.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:36 PM   #20
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlightS View Post
I meant if I got headers of any kind.
Shorty headers of any type if installed correctly should NOT throw a CEL.

Long tube headers will. You can actually drive around with this CEL on and it shouldn't cause any issues....basically just an emissions warning. But if you want to avoid the CEL, then yes a tune will be necessary.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:03 AM   #21
FootHawks

Drives: 2010 Camaro Synergy Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Lots of good advice here, but to keep things simple, I'd recommend an cold air intake and exhaust be your first mods. Exhaust for sound (as it won't help much for performance) and the CAI to wake your car up a bit performance wise.

Check out the exhaust sticky thread at the top of the V6 section for tons of examples.

From there, you can do whatever. Easiest 3rd mod is probably the RX ported throttle body..doesn't add much for power, but helps low end response and torque.
Hey KMPrenger, I saw ur youtube video of the torque app. Really awesome! I'm trying to find that app, I found 1 called Torque Pro (OBD2 & Car). That the 1 u used?
Old 12-31-2011, 08:22 AM   #22
melvinakshay
Vrooom Vrooom

Drives: Camaro 2011 black LS
I dont think the exhaust/headers/air intake/throttle bodies classify as an "engine mod".
melvinakshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:51 AM   #23
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvinakshay View Post
I dont think the exhaust/headers/air intake/throttle bodies classify as an "engine mod".
Ok ok...I'll bite on this. I'm guessing you don't think these classify as "engine" mods because they aren't physical changes to the block itself such as a CAM. BUT (yep, you knew it was coming), not all changes are physical change. When you change the amount and rate at which air flows, it modifies (change from the original standard) how the engine behaves. Hence why so many people are worried about losing their warranty, even GM knows this. Minus exhaust, which 9/10 is an aesthetics mod (even though it helps with the excavation of exhaust gasses that were created on the engine), intake...ported throttle body...insulator...headers all have a direct affect on the performance of the ENGINE. Therefore classifying them as engine mods. Exhaust could be classified as a mod, particularly if it were setup as an "off road" type of exhaust.

Last edited by hapisok; 12-31-2011 at 11:20 AM.
hapisok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:30 PM   #24
RedlightS
Powering It Up

Quote:
Ok ok...I'll bite on this. I'm guessing you don't think these classify as "engine" mods because they aren't physical changes to the block itself such as a CAM. BUT (yep, you knew it was coming), not all changes are physical change. When you change the amount and rate at which air flows, it modifies (change from the original standard) how the engine behaves. Hence why so many people are worried about losing their warranty, even GM knows this. Minus exhaust, which 9/10 is an aesthetics mod (even though it helps with the excavation of exhaust gasses that were created on the engine), intake...ported throttle body...insulator...headers all have a direct affect on the performance of the ENGINE. Therefore classifying them as engine mods. Exhaust could be classified as a mod, particularly if it were setup as an "off road" type of exhaust.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #25
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootHawks View Post
Hey KMPrenger, I saw ur youtube video of the torque app. Really awesome! I'm trying to find that app, I found 1 called Torque Pro (OBD2 & Car). That the 1 u used?
PM sent.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #26
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
Intake, LT's and exhaust will really wake up your car, just a matter of picking out what works/sounds best to you. I will caution as you have an addictive personality, once you do that there will be NO turning back and will become a very expensive habbit.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #27
melvinakshay
Vrooom Vrooom

Drives: Camaro 2011 black LS
Quote:
hmm , well I do understand what you're trying to say :( but you still arent physically altering the engine !!. Oh well
melvinakshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #28
RedlightS
Powering It Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOLIE View Post
Intake, LT's and exhaust will really wake up your car, just a matter of picking out what works/sounds best to you. I will caution as you have an addictive personality, once you do that there will be NO turning back and will become a very expensive habbit.
But worth every penny