Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 02-20-2019, 11:58 PM   #1
ZOOMSS

Drives: 2010 Red Jewel 2SS/RS
HID headlights losing brightness.

OK so last few months the headlights in my 2010 SS/RS seem to be putting out less light than they used to. Being that these are the original bulbs and 10 years old I figure it was time to replace as I have heard HID's go dim as they age. So I picked up a pair of Eiko DS1s and put them in and they seem to be just as dim or more so than the originals, -I drove home tonight with my brights on in order to see where I was going and no one honked or flashed me if that tells you anything. So if bulbs aren't the issue could it be the ballasts? Do they grow weak with time as well or is there something else I should look at?
ZOOMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:24 AM   #2
butters

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
its a known issue. GM used a really cheap, chromed plastic reflector inside the housing which has probably flaked off by now. I plan on replacing mine with the 6th gen headlights this summer.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:37 AM   #3
anthony.martinez

Drives: 2010
Yes the reflector is cheap but it is made of a pewter or cheap metal alloy. You should upgrade your lights because it is too hard to see at night. My car was so bad that when people were behind me their lights would eclipse my car and which made it worse.
anthony.martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:57 AM   #4
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Yes, a thread I started was asking about upgrading the bulbs in ours, until someone pointed out that the reflector Chevrolet used in our cars is SUPER cheap.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...=465306&page=3
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:44 PM   #5
ZOOMSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony.martinez View Post
Yes the reflector is cheap but it is made of a pewter or cheap metal alloy. You should upgrade your lights because it is too hard to see at night. My car was so bad that when people were behind me their lights would eclipse my car and which made it worse.
So basically I have to replace the whole headlight assembly with a new one to get back to usable brightness, What upgrade would you suggest?
Old 02-22-2019, 09:46 PM   #6
ZOOMSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by butters View Post
its a known issue. GM used a really cheap, chromed plastic reflector inside the housing which has probably flaked off by now. I plan on replacing mine with the 6th gen headlights this summer.

That a hack and DIY deal or do they make an adapter kit?
Old 02-22-2019, 11:14 PM   #7
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOMSS View Post
That a hack and DIY deal or do they make an adapter kit?
Other than replacing the entire headlight unit the only other (and cheaper) option is to replace the projectors. There's no one projector that's plugNplay but Morimoto 4TL-R seems to come the closest with some minor trimming.

See this thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...=491102&page=5

Last edited by camguynj; 02-23-2019 at 10:00 AM.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:35 AM   #8
anthony.martinez

I upgraded my projectors with morimoto d2s 4.0. The work isnt too hard to do but you will need to take your time.I will post a couple of pix
Old 02-24-2019, 08:39 AM   #9
anthony.martinez

ligbts

factory hid' s ( 9 yrs old )
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2019, 08:42 AM   #10
anthony.martinez

upgraded

morimoto d2s 4.0 w/osram cbb bulbs
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2019, 12:30 PM   #11
ZOOMSS

Quote:
I upgraded my projectors with morimoto d2s 4.0. The work isnt too hard to do but you will need to take your time.I will post a couple of pix
I'm assuming you have to split the headlight assembly open to do this, is there a trick to doing so without damaging it?
Old 02-25-2019, 01:55 PM   #12
anthony.martinez

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOMSS View Post
I'm assuming you have to split the headlight assembly open to do this, is there a trick to doing so without damaging it?
Yes, you have to spit the assemblies and also do some cutting on and massaging to fit the 3" projectors.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:15 PM   #13
ZOOMSS

Quote:
Yes, you have to spit the assemblies and also do some cutting on and massaging to fit the 3" projectors.
I figured as much, I can find how to's to fit the Morimotos to truck headlights but nothing on Camaros, you know of a thread or video with directions?
Old 02-26-2019, 09:47 AM   #14
anthony.martinez

I searched a bit and was unable to find anything. I just decided to jump in and do it one day with out any real directions or anything. The hardest part in my opinion was to take the front bumper cover off. You have to be patient when taking apart the lights. Take all the sealant off while the housings are warm. Once you get them apart and before you take the old projectors out you will need to measure to obtain the centerline of where it is mounted. I had to grind and drill new mounting holes on the projector mounting plate as well as open the opening up. Take your time because if you screw this up you're done. Once all that is done I massaged the projector bezel to accept the larger lens. Again you have to take your time. It isn't a deal breaker on this if you screw up, but it will be visible when completed. I then mounted the assemblies to my car for testing w/o the covers installed. I did this just in case I needed to make some adjustments for my mounting. I was very satisfied in the work, so I sealed them back up and put everything back together. The lights are killer. I wished I waited for the 5.0's tho. The osram bulbs are bright too.