Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 02-13-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
Steve RS/SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Help with Wheels

Does anyone out there remove their wheels and clean and the inside of the wheel? If you do can you tell me what you use to clean the imbedded brake dust and grime off the back of the wheel where it is not clear coated? I am talking about the backside of the 5 "spokes" for lack of a better term. I try to keep them like when I took delivery. I am looking for something that wont damage the wheel or the finish. I have tryed all types of brake dust cleaners but it does nothing. It may be extreme but that's just me. Any help would be appreciated. THANKS
Steve RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
As far as cleaner check out our Green Wheel Cleaner... its safe and specifically formulated to go after brake dust. You will still need a quality wheel brush (like our Boars Hair Brush) to break up the caked on stuff, but the cleaner will help make removal very easy:

Adam's GREEN Wheel Cleaner is a 100% water-based cleaner that safely and effectively cleans tires and all types of wheels!

Adam's GREEN Wheel Cleaner takes advantage of new breakthroughs in chemical engineering, creating a new class of non-ionic cleaner that does not release harmful zwitterions. Adam's GREEN Wheel Cleaner quickly and safely cleans tires and all types of wheels including clear coated, painted, aluminum, polished and anodized. The active ingredient in this cleaner was developed in America to replace the acids, and butyl ethers found in most tire and wheel cleaning products, which have been proven harmful to both wheels and nature.

It's an unfortunate fact that most wheel cleaners made and sold in America contain butyl or butyl ether. Although butyl is a highly effective cleaner, as well as inexpensive, it is harmful to man and the environment. Plus, butyl will white-stain aluminum and damage clear coated wheels and powder coating finishes. Butyl is also very harsh on your skin, causes respiratory distress when inhaled, and it is not readily biodegradable. Our Green Wheel Cleaner contains no butyl or petroleum distillates! Plus, our new GREEN Wheel Cleaner biodegrades 98% in less than 24 hours, protecting our surface waters from polluted storm drain runoff.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

*special thanks to Jim (Nordgrey) for the great pictures.

Now for cleaning INSIDE the barrel of the wheel you can do it with the wheel still on if you use the power stick -

Jump to about the 3:50 mark -

Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:39 AM   #3
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
What Dylan said. The green wheel cleaner works much better than anything else I tried and it is safe! I ordered the 16 oz and then turned right around and ordered the gallon after using it the first time. Add All purpose cleaner and VRT and your tires and wheels are set...I think you can put Camaro5 in the promotion code and get a discount.

I even cut all the above with a little distilled water to use on the wheels and tires when they are not that dirty. Helps with a budget. I use full strength when they are real dirty. You have to experiment with such. I also found the brushes to be well worth the cost.

Last edited by Stex; 02-13-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:14 PM   #4
Uncle Harvey

Drives: 2011 2SS RS
I have the green wheel cleaner and the Powerstick. The powerstick is great. It saves a lot of work. The green wheel cleaner works. However, I prefer to the all purpose cleaner. It smells a lot less like a chemical and does a very good job.
Uncle Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
Steve RS/SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it
Steve RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:50 PM   #6
camarowa

Drives: 2013 SVT Raptor, sold 2010 Camaro
I use the griot's garage wheel cleaner, works great IMHO. Have tried almost everything out there, this one is my favorite fwiw.
- Blacked-Out Bowties & RS Emblems, Front bowtie delete
- Full Dynamat Extreme Trunk Coverage
- Tinted side markers
- Interior DSV Customs Leather Upgrades
- Airaid CAI V2
- Forgestar F14 Gunmetal 20x9, 20x11
- Doug Thorley Shorties
camarowa is offline   Reply With Quote