Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 03-07-2015, 03:08 PM   #43
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
I agree with the heated in straight line braking comment on that tire picture, I run Laguna Seca 2x a month normally (at 1:42-1:43 times) and I get 7-8 track days, plus daily driving, out of the eagles at 28.5psi cold. The pilot super sports over heated and were sliding all over the place on the 2nd heat the very 1st time out....Never buying those again.
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 03:34 PM   #44
neptunetrucking

Drives: new ss
I've never been to the track bit I hear nittos are real good
neptunetrucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 04:35 PM   #45
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Sam View Post
Can we get a photo of them on the car? Also interested in what you think about the GY versus Yokohama Advan AD08RS. Thanks, Sam.
Sure, here ya go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backeddy View Post
I agree with the heated in straight line braking comment on that tire picture, I run Laguna Seca 2x a month normally (at 1:42-1:43 times) and I get 7-8 track days, plus daily driving, out of the eagles at 28.5psi cold. The pilot super sports over heated and were sliding all over the place on the 2nd heat the very 1st time out....Never buying those again.
See that's so funny because I've ran but the Eagle F1's and the Pilot Super Sports (similar PSI) and The Eagle F1's have been junk in comparison to the Pilot Super Sports. That picture of my tire was an Eagle F1's at around 36-37 PSI HOT.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:24 PM   #46
backeddy
Banned

wow, it is so strange how people have different results with the same products! The pilots are in my garage with 100 miles and 1 half day at the track. I have 18 eagles on hand though!
Old 03-07-2015, 10:31 PM   #47
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by backeddy View Post
wow, it is so strange how people have different results with the same products! The pilots are in my garage with 100 miles and 1 half day at the track. I have 18 eagles on hand though!
My experience has been same as yours. PSS tires were complete junk. Not that I didn't know, they were junk on my Corvette, too, but I tried them since my car came with them.

G:2s need heat to work, but beware, they seem to heat cycle out, after which it takes longer to warm them up. Once warm, they were OK.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 11:28 PM   #48
backeddy
Banned

I know the heat up thing too well, the 720 degree spin at 100mph on laguna taught me a lesson about them....how I did not leave the track, I will never know!
Old 03-08-2015, 09:31 AM   #49
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
-1.9* camber.

See above for camber. Pressure cold was 32 but shot up to about 39. This track is small and very technical, lots of braking and there is a turn that really loads up the front passenger side tire (as pictured). There were three other people that had tires starting to do the same thing as mine. All were the front passenger tire. If I recall correctly, it was a fairly cool day and the tire temps all started off much lower but shot up once on the track. My tires were fairly worn already and I knew this was going to be the last track event I'd be able to use them, so I'm not too disappointed that this happened. Just wished it would have last one more session.
That sawtooth-pattern tread wear says 'cornering' to me, as does the way the sort of rolled up fringe on the outer edge of the first tread rib is sitting (it got sheared and peeled up laterally off the shoulder).

Hard braking tends to drive camber even further than your -1.9° static setting, so I would absolutely not expect the outer shoulders to be the ones all beat up from braking like that.

Once the shoulder area has started to go away, a combination of cornering + braking could peel up a flap of rubber like I'm seeing near the bottom of the picture.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:12 AM   #50
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
That sawtooth-pattern tread wear says 'cornering' to me, as does the way the sort of rolled up fringe on the outer edge of the first tread rib is sitting (it got sheared and peeled up laterally off the shoulder).

Hard braking tends to drive camber even further than your -1.9° static setting, so I would absolutely not expect the outer shoulders to be the ones all beat up from braking like that.

Once the shoulder area has started to go away, a combination of cornering + braking could peel up a flap of rubber like I'm seeing near the bottom of the picture.

Norm
It was definitely cornering. Like I said, after the front straight there is a turn that really loads up the front passenger tire. Three other cars were starting to show the same signs as mine. I could feel it in the car on that turn once it was starting to go.

The turn starts at 0:15 in this video

Old 03-16-2015, 07:36 PM   #51
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Good news everyone, NO TIRE RUBBING up front!

I love this set up, but if definitely gives the car a completely different driving dynamic. It's like driving a whole new car. The front end grip is amazing.

Here's a quick video from my track day yesterday.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:41 PM   #52
MTCobra

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Suggestion on track tire (305x19)

Good news. Good video too. Nice driving.

2014 ZL1
MTCobra is offline   Reply With Quote