Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 03-26-2015, 12:53 PM   #15
Top Off

Drives: 2012 LS3 1SS/RS Vert
Since I see the OP lists his location as TN. I would strongly suggest holding off on the exhaust if you can, until Camaro Fest. You will be assured of hearing multiple exhausts on other members verts. Videos are nice, but nothing really sounds the same compared to in person. Also, what one person considers tame, might be over the top loud for another. Just my 5cents.
Top Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:43 PM   #16
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS PANTHER View Post
Negative. I have never heard of anyone getting anywhere close to 30rwhp out of a catback system. Maybe 3-5rwhp at best. You must have had some bolt ons like a CAI, etc. and had it dynoed with the aggregate mods to achieve 30rwhp. Tuners chime in on this one. I will buy a Borla Atak system tomorrow if it will produce 30rwhp by itself with a dyno.
Before the install of the exhaust it was dyno at only 300rwhp since my engine is running very rich. After the install and dyno it was rated at 330rwhp with the engine still running a little rich which will be tuned out in the next month or so when I get the headers and tune. Don't believe me PM dynosteve, he was the one that did the install and the dyno. I also thought I will only get 10rwhp max but when I saw 30 I was shocked.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:18 PM   #17
Lou gill

Drives: ‘13 ZL1 convertible
Thumbs up

I did a straight muffler delete.....love it!

Lou
Lou gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:43 PM   #18
ex ford guy

Drives: 2011 conv 2ss/rs
If you are looking for a cat back, your options are limited on a 'vert due to the sub frame bracing. If you are looking for an axle back, search the forum, listen to a lot of them (L99 not LS3) and go for the sound you like. Some are deeper. Some are raspy. Anything is better than stock. Sounded like a damn sewing machine. I went with borla S axle back. They got significantly louder as they broke in. The sound from the cai was a bonus.

Last edited by ex ford guy; 03-26-2015 at 08:57 PM.
ex ford guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:57 PM   #19
Dameat63

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS convertible
I was thinking I wanted to get the cat back. I can't imagine axle backs doing anything but giving it a different sound. Does anybody see a difference? Yes I do live near Nashville Tennessee. At the moment it doesn't look like I can make it to camarofest but as it gets closer I'm hoping that changes.
Dameat63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:43 PM   #20
NicKey

Drives: Nickey Super Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dameat63 View Post
I was thinking I wanted to get the cat back. I can't imagine axle backs doing anything but giving it a different sound. Does anybody see a difference? Yes I do live near Nashville Tennessee. At the moment it doesn't look like I can make it to camarofest but as it gets closer I'm hoping that changes.
We use "3 chambered exhaust from Stainless works in many applications, where increasing the quality and volume of sound is important. They make a kit for convertibles.
NicKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:47 AM   #21
strutton
SStrutt

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible L99
14 SS vert with Solo High Flow Cats and Catback/J-Pipes. Sound in the cabin is the right level, enough to hear but not too much to have a conversation. No drone! But if you are behind me, look out.

http://youtu.be/264HgX9zHS4

Everyone loves the sound of my car. I get compliments all the time.

I got it for the sound, but I felt a decent improvement in performance.
strutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:40 AM   #22
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex ford guy View Post
If you are looking for a cat back, your options are limited on a 'vert due to the sub frame bracing. If you are looking for an axle back, search the forum, listen to a lot of them (L99 not LS3) and go for the sound you like. Some are deeper. Some are raspy. Anything is better than stock. Sounded like a damn sewing machine. I went with borla S axle back. They got significantly louder as they broke in. The sound from the cai was a bonus.
They make spacers for our frames for the cat backs that are not made for our verts. Stainless works and a couple other brands make them.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:16 PM   #23
ex ford guy

Drives: 2011 conv 2ss/rs
Yeah, I decide I just wanted it to sound like a SS. Axle back was quick, cheap, & easy.
ex ford guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:47 AM   #24
2ssrsvert

Drives: 2013 2SS RS BLACK CONVERTIBLE
Flowmaster Outlaws here, They are loud but sounds good to me
2013 Black 2SS RS Convertible, TSP 2" headers, rotofab CAI, Maggie tvs2300 w/ OD cog pullies and 3.6, Catless, Jet MAF Sensor, 238/244 cam, Cnc Heads, Roller Rockers, Flowmaster Outlaws, Monster Twin Clutch, Squash pump, ID1000 injectors, AlkyControl dual nozzle meth. Tuned by Vengeance racing
749 rwhp
2ssrsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:18 PM   #25
Fireman124

Drives: 45th convertible ss
I have the Stainless Works Retro. It sounds great. Remember with a cat back you may need to get a Range Device or tune the AFM out. You have the attenuators in your exhaust to limit hearing AFM kick on in the cab.
Fireman124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:36 PM   #26
KickerZ71

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by strutton View Post
14 SS vert with Solo High Flow Cats and Catback/J-Pipes. Sound in the cabin is the right level, enough to hear but not too much to have a conversation. No drone! But if you are behind me, look out.

http://youtu.be/264HgX9zHS4

Everyone loves the sound of my car. I get compliments all the time.

I got it for the sound, but I felt a decent improvement in performance.

Sounds great
KickerZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote