Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 06-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #71
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestDrive View Post
Can you shift from "D" to "M' while driving?

2012 2lt camaro
Yes, you can switch back and forth from D to M while driving.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:55 PM   #72
chappy48

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto 2SS/RS
A lot of misinformation in this thread about not being able to damage the engine while in Manual Mode and letting it bounce off the limiter. It will most definitely do damage to your engine if you let it bounce off the limiter for any significant amount of time or if you do it often enough.
TVS2300 Supercharger w/Maggie Max Stage 2, 3.6 Pulley, Innovators West 8 rib conversion, OD rear Cog belt drive.
Jannetty Racing Rough Idle Cam, LS3 Conversion.
Jannetty Racing built 6l80e Trans, Jannetty Racing Custom Converter, Built rear diff w/ 3.45 gears, DSS driveshaft and 1400 hp axles.
ADM Twin Pump Fuel System, ADM CAI, Dynatech 1 7/8" Coated Headers, Borla "S" Catback.
Custom 18" Forgestar F14's, Nitto 305/45-18 DR's
chappy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #73
austin
Team LFX - 45TH RS

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS 45th
S mode is awesome, especially with the mrt v2.0. Sounds so much better than stock.

austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #74
bluecamel

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT1
There is so much misinformation on here.

Quote:
A lot of misinformation in this thread about not being able to damage the engine while in Manual Mode and letting it bounce off the limiter. It will most definitely do damage to your engine if you let it bounce off the limiter for any significant amount of time or if you do it often enough.
According to the manual, you can not damage the engine in tapshift mode. I'm sure you can damage the engine in a stick shift.

Quote:
I Agree! All I get out of mine is M6. No "S". I don't think there is a "Sport" mode for us with 2011 V6's. Maybe just for 2LT's and up. Can hold Right Tap for 2 seconds or 2 hours and it stays M6....and tap shifting really seems like it's not worth the effort...if I wanted to do this, I would have just bought the car with manual transmission..."Sport" Shift on the gear selector (had one on a 2009 Charger) seemed much easier then the button shift on the steering wheel.
I have a 2011 LT1 and it goes into "S" mode before hitting the paddles. Maybe it didn't in the earlier models in 2011, but it definitely is there in my LT1. Maybe M6 was the designation for Sport Mode at first?

The great thing about the Camaro is unlike alot of other cars with TapShift, TapTronic, etc, the Camaro will let you redline so you can max out the RPMs. A friend of mine has an Altima that auto-shifts no matter what at 5K RPMs. But it definitely is worth the effort to use the TapShift. It makes driving alot of fun when you want to have fun, but on your normal commute, you can keep it in Drive Mode and not have to worry about changing gears (unlike with a manual transmission). It's almost the best of both worlds.

Quote:
While driving in M (Manual Mode), if Tap Shift has not been activated,
the transmission determines when the vehicle is being driven in a
competitive manner and will select and hold the transmission in lower
gears and have more noticeable upshifts for sportier vehicle
performance.
That always freaks me out and makes me worried that the transmission is stuck!

Quote:
Plus just because I wanted to see if the car would do it if you redline the car, which technically you can't do the car will stutter for a second and shift up regardless of driver intervention. Just incase you know you forget you're in Manual Mode. This car won't let you blow the engine unless you do something absolutely insane.
Maybe this feature is not present in mine, but it will NOT automatically shift. I forgot I was in TapShift once and I redlined, but stayed in first.

Quote:
all i know is like i posted in another thread 90% of the time i drive in Manual Tap Shift mode i can keep my RPM below 2k most of the time seems to save on gas too
There is no way that is accurate. With modern technology, automatic is THE most fuel efficient. So no matter if you use TapShift or drive a manual transmission, there is no way you can drive it so that it is more fuel efficient than automatic. It used to be true that you can get better mpg by driving a manual transmission, but as of about 10 years ago, that is no longer true.
bluecamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:05 PM   #75
Three of Swords

Drives: 2011 IBM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecamel View Post
There is no way that is accurate. With modern technology, automatic is THE most fuel efficient. So no matter if you use TapShift or drive a manual transmission, there is no way you can drive it so that it is more fuel efficient than automatic. It used to be true that you can get better mpg by driving a manual transmission, but as of about 10 years ago, that is no longer true.
You do realize the reason the automatic v8 (L99) has 26 fewer horsepower than the manual v8 (LS3) is because Chevy had to modify the engine to avoid the gas guzzler tax, right? If your premise was correct, they could have left the LS3 in and the 'more efficient' automatic would have been fine.

Automatics are a lot closer than back when they were 'slushboxes', but they're not quite there yet.

PS I have an automatic. And I wish you were right so I could have an LS3 rather than L99. But it's just not the case.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:02 PM   #76
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCamaro2011 View Post
Yes, the stick shift in M position without touching the +/- tapshift will change gears automatically for you in a more agressive way. ( just like in D but higher revs and agressive)...
Does sport mode (not manual) disengage AFM?

Last edited by PDXSSCE; 01-21-2016 at 08:31 AM.
PDXSSCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:39 PM   #77
oreduks

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aieaboy View Post
Hahahaha. I'm such a tool. I've had my Camaro for 4 MONTHS and just figured out the difference between D & S modes. Love the S mode!
Ive had mine 16 months and diddent even know about the "S" mode till today.
oreduks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:51 PM   #78
ex ford guy

Drives: 2011 conv 2ss/rs
PDX: Afm is active in D and S. You can avoid Afm in tap-shift but the only way to defeat afm is with a tune or the Range device.
ex ford guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:14 PM   #79
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex ford guy View Post
PDX: Afm is active in D and S. You can avoid Afm in tap-shift but the only way to defeat afm is with a tune or the Range device.
I ordered the DiabloSport inTune i2 to install their 91 octane tune & disable AFM. Thank you.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:17 PM   #80
ex ford guy

Drives: 2011 conv 2ss/rs
That's the way to go. The tune will definitely make a big difference.
ex ford guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:27 AM   #81
Rob10CamaroSS

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Redline Phase 4
New 2010SS owner here and I'm glad I used the search button and found this Thread, Thanks All

PS
I have read the owners manual a few times and by day two I was enjoying Sport Mode and realized it was the place to be.

Now I just have to wait for the rain to stop so I can try....

Competitive
Driving Mode
On vehicles with a V8 engine,
the driver can select this optional
handling mode by pressing the
StabiliTrak/TCS button two times
quickly while Traction Control and
StabiliTrak are turned on. When
the system is on, the StabiliTrak
Off light comes on and StabiliTrak
Competitive Mode will be displayed
in the Driver Information Center
(DIC).

Any input on this ???

Oh ya
My 10SS is Supercharged with a lot of the right mods, crazy HP, and I friggin love it
Rob10CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:23 AM   #82
napster11

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2014 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
No.

The "M" setting has two modes, Sport Mode and Manual Mode.
- If you use the paddles you will enter Manual Mode.
- If you do not use the paddles you will enter Sport Mode which is just like Drive except more sporty.
This is a new revelation for me! will try it out! thanks for the info.
napster11 is offline   Reply With Quote