Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-29-2012, 01:43 AM   #1
Andys562

Drives: Black 2011 2LT RS
Lowering seems so simple but also seems so complicated.

All i want to do is lower my V6 one inch all around. I'm ready to buy springs right now as well. But I don't want any long-term problems.

Also, I'm completely new to all things suspension as well. I've never lowered any of my cars and everything is completely new to me.

Anyways, every single time I get on this suspension forum, i see problems and issues that all these members are having with their springs. I see confusing terminology that i've never heard or seen before, and it just leaves me not wanting to lower my car at all.

So my questions:
1. Which lowering spring brand do you all recommend? BMR? Pedders? Pfadt? Eibach?
2. What issues arise down the road when wanting to lower a car?
Black Painted Heritage Grill, Emblem-less.
Black Rear Bowtie.
AAC P13 DRL's.
AAC License Plate LED's.
AAC Dome Light/Trunk Light.
AAC Tinted Sidemarkers.
AAC SMD Afterburners.
MRT V1 Exhaust.
PFADT 1.25" Lowering Springs.
Andys562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:46 AM   #2
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
I recommend Pfadt. I'm running their springs and sways. I've had them on my car now for about 2500 miles without any issue. The lowering springs are an excellent bargain compared to the cost of coil overs.
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:22 AM   #3
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
I had MTI Racing install there drop springs. 1.25 inch drop. I've had them for about 7 months now and no problems. Drop springs do firm up the ride a bit, but not in a harsh way, at least not in my case.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:40 AM   #4
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
For the cost, Eibach's cannot be beat. Got mine for $187. shipped to the house. Had Rodgers Chevrolet do the install and alignment. A few weeks later I picked up the Eibach sway bars for $253. shipped to the house and installed these myself.

If your looking to have the lowered look and get some better handling for street use you cannot beat the route I took IMHO. Best suspension investment one could make for the cost.

Now if you plan to track your car weather weekend auotcrossing or more, then I will say there are better choices that can be made for sure.

1st photo is a combined before and after lowering photo.

2nd photo is a recent from one of my photo shoots.
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2LT/RS CAMARO
Send a message via AIM to camaro4mybday
if its your daily driver just know it will firm up your suspension a bit which ever company you use. have you thought about a set of coilovers, i have the pedders xa's on mine and i drive about 85 miles a day and i have them adjusted for a very comfortable ride and the handling is just simply amazing. if coils are just in your look at the pedders lowering coils the ride quality is close to stock and they are authorized gm performance parts so you retain your factory warranty
camaro4mybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:17 AM   #6
Andys562

Drives: Black 2011 2LT RS
I live in an area with a few steep driveways an a couple potholes and crappy roads (los angeles) so I'm looking for a 1 inch drop.

But how bad can the ride quality be?

And I'd really love coilovers! but they're so expensive. All I want from lowering my car is the better appearance. I'm not planning on taking my car to the track.
I think lowering springs do the same job i want as coil overs but they're just cheaper.
Black Painted Heritage Grill, Emblem-less.
Black Rear Bowtie.
AAC P13 DRL's.
AAC License Plate LED's.
AAC Dome Light/Trunk Light.
AAC Tinted Sidemarkers.
AAC SMD Afterburners.
MRT V1 Exhaust.
PFADT 1.25" Lowering Springs.
Andys562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andys562 View Post
I live in an area with a few steep driveways an a couple potholes and crappy roads (los angeles) so I'm looking for a 1 inch drop.

But how bad can the ride quality be?

And I'd really love coilovers! but they're so expensive. All I want from lowering my car is the better appearance. I'm not planning on taking my car to the track.
I think lowering springs do the same job i want as coil overs but they're just cheaper.
Lowering coils will get you the stance you are looking for and the ride quality will be good across the brands (of course Pedders will be the best). The look is what drives some people to lower, but everyone will enjoy a better driving 5th Gen. We encourage people to make sub-frame and radius bush inserts their first mod on a 5th Gen. They eliminate rear end steer, rear end step out and improve the on center feel of the car. These improvements make you smile every time you drive.

When you lower the rear, the rear negative camber will increase. The higher the rear negative camber the faster the inside shoulders of your tires will wear. We suggest using Pedders rear eXtreme range rear camber eccentrics. You will be able to reduce the camber and save money long term on your rear tires. Tire wear aside, you also reduce understeer which makes the driving experience better.

If you are going to lower, we should do it right and get the maximum driving experience benefit. You can read more about this right here on Camaro5 THE Book on 5th Gen Suspension

Here are the alignment specs you'll need and instructions on how to time your bushes when you lower.

Bush Timing

Step 1. Pull the car up on to a drive uplift.

Step 2. Loosen the following bolts/nuts:
Front:
---Inner Control Arm Bushing
---Inner Radius Rod
Rear:
---Trailing Arm Bushings (both ends)
---Toe Rod Bushings (both ends)
---Lower Control Arm Bushings (Inner)
---Upper Control Arm Bushings (Rearward)
---Lower Strut Bushings

Step 3.
Grab the subframes or sway bars, and jounce the car up and down a few times.

Step 4.
Tighten all of the nuts/bolts to spec.

Step 5.
Align the car at the new ride height.

Alignment

[B]
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #8
RaiderSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2 DeadBLK
Its complicated but worth it
Old 02-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #9
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andys562 View Post
Also, I'm completely new to all things suspension as well. I've never lowered any of my cars and everything is completely new to me.

Anyways, every single time I get on this suspension forum, i see problems and issues that all these members are having with their springs. I see confusing terminology that i've never heard or seen before, and it just leaves me not wanting to lower my car at all.
Lowering springs are really a very simple product! They simply replace the factory springs on the car and are designed for a lowered stance. In the case of our drop springs, the springs themselves are also a little bit stiffer which translates into a little better handling, but without going too stiff as to make the car ride rough. Our drop spring kit will lower the car about 1.25 inches, which is about as low as you want to go without effecting the factory shocks.

We are working on a kit specifically for the V6 that will be available shortly. In the mean time if you wanted to run our drop spring kit you can purchase 2 V8 rear shocks and the setup will work great.

If you've got any questions let us know! Here are some photos of Camaro's equipped with our drop spring kits:

PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #10
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
Where are you in SoCal? I'll be installing mine myself and would help you if you want. I'm in SD area.

I took apart my gto suspension numerous times. It's really pretty simple. Just nuts and bolts.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #11
Nutro

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
The more affordable ones are Eibach and Pfadt.

I was about to pull the trigger on some Pfadt springs but I've found the Eibachs for around $200 shipped so I am trying to justify the extra cost on the Pfadt.
Nutro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #12
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutro View Post
The more affordable ones are Eibach and Pfadt.

I was about to pull the trigger on some Pfadt springs but I've found the Eibachs for around $200 shipped so I am trying to justify the extra cost on the Pfadt.
There are two ways to manufacture a coil spring -- Cold Winding and Hot Winding. Cold wound coils cost roughly half of a hot would coil to manufacture. We use hot wound coils for lowering and cold wound coils for coilovers. The larger winds found in a typical automotive coil that fit an OE strut do not, in our opinion, lend itself to cold winding. We find hot wound coils resist fatigue and sag better.

Our coils are designed to work within the parameters of the OE struts while maintaining the benefits of the progressive OE bumpstop. Our coils fit the V6 and are in stock ready to ship.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:16 PM   #13
Travis64

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1lt rs auto 4-9-11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
For the cost, Eibach's cannot be beat. Got mine for $187. shipped to the house. Had Rodgers Chevrolet do the install and alignment. A few weeks later I picked up the Eibach sway bars for $253. shipped to the house and installed these myself.
how much did dealer charge to install them?

you guys have any problems with big speedbumps?
Travis64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:29 PM   #14
GunnyG
Da WHALE

Drives: 2014 Stingray, 2015 Panamera 4
Eibach Pro Kit...simple, easy on the wallet, done!