Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 07-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #29
speedmon

Drives: C6 Z06
here you go.....
http://www.dewitts.com/pages/categor...s.asp?catID=30

These are the generic ones......bolt right in......with a 160 tstat these will keep you very cool....the radiator is twice as thick as the stock camaro.....

I would suggest calling them and tell them what you need and they will make it to order.
speedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #30
TCorzett
Fish out of Water

Drives: Pontiac G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadams72 View Post
This is from Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch just north of Las Vegas. My favorite track so far. Also the location for the Ron Fellows Corvette Driving School.
I just love the feeling of trail braking a Vette through the bus stop!

While we're sharing videos/data, I'll toss-up some of mine for reference. Vehicle is a '09 Pontiac G8... but with similar weight/suspension as you guys (details are in my sig). Tires are 245/40-19 Bridgestore RE-11's (with ~12k miles on them).

This was my first track session in the G8, so was still feeling-out the car/track. I've driven Vettes/Mustangs in several multi-day driving schools, so far from an expert, but not exactly a novice either.

Here is some data from the first session as well:

Lat. Acceleration (Left/Right)

Lon. Acceleration (Front/Back)

Lat. acceleration was more than I was expecting (especially for a street tire) with several sustained periods each lap over 0.75 G's with peaks as high as 1.25 G's. While the Lon. acceleration wasn't as extreme... Under braking I was experiencing 0.4-0.6 G's and ~0.25 G's while accelerating.

During my second session I had a DOD-lifter fail in the engine (VIDEO). I initially suspected an oiling issue (hence my interest in this thread), but the during tear-down there doesn't appear to be any oil starvation related damage.

In the future I plan on running a 275/35-18 R-Comp or slick tire, so I'm really interested in what people here are doing. I purchased a 3-quart Accusump, but have not yet installed it (I'm finishing-up the engine rebuild/mods first). On street tires I don't think I'm at the point I need it, but with sticky tires I think it might become a bigger issue.

-Todd...

Last edited by TCorzett; 07-17-2012 at 03:33 PM.
TCorzett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #31
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
Hi Ralph,
Which Mp4 Video Editor do you use to add you bluescreen of your GPS info from your droid ALAPRecorder?

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.

Last edited by Mikamaro; 07-17-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #32
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

nice videos guys!! it's so much fun to track our camaros
since we Are sharing... here's mine!

Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #33
Phat Ralph

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS 6spd Synergy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikamaro View Post
Hi Ralph,
Which Mp4 Video Editor do you use to add you bluescreen of your GPS info from your droid ALAPRecorder?
Racerender 2

http://www.racerender.com/RR2/Features.html

Later
Ralph
2011 Camaro RS/SS Synergy - (Pedders Xa's Coilovers, ZL1 Sways, SS Brake Lines & Bushings), Hotchkis Chassis Brace & Strut Bar, DSS 1000hp Road Race Axles, Nitto NT-01's, TSW Wheels, ADM CAI, Borla ATAK, HAWK, Granatelli Rotors, Barton Shifter, Tick Performance Clutch Line, MRS Exhaust Tips, Elite Catch Can.
Phat Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #34
speedmon

Drives: C6 Z06
WOW!.....this is more roadracing content than I've ever seen before on this site.....camaro popularity is increasing maybe......on the roadtracks.

But to the original topic.....and for the OP....the calibrations or data for the ECM includes an "oil starvation" switch. I don't know how the ECM or sensors operates with this switch, but if GM put a switch in the computer, it means they are aware of the potential issue and are dealing with it or giving folks the ability to deal with it.

I think the switch is in the torque mgmt section so I can only assume (not having the code due to the closed architecture) that if the switch is "enabled" and the oil starvation event becomes "true" the computer will execute a series of rules to protect the engine such as reduce torque, timing, fuel, etc and even shut the car down....but nobody knows because they don't publish the code.

It may even be just a place holder for future sensors and code.......who knows.

Engine failure due to oil starvation is a risk. I've heard of people trying to drive around it but I don't.....on the track my car (Z06) is always between 4K-6Krpms and thats gotta be a very long straight for me to ever see 5th gear.
speedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #35
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmon View Post
WOW!.....this is more roadracing content than I've ever seen before on this site.....camaro popularity is increasing maybe......on the roadtracks.

But to the original topic.....and for the OP....the calibrations or data for the ECM includes an "oil starvation" switch. I don't know how the ECM or sensors operates with this switch, but if GM put a switch in the computer, it means they are aware of the potential issue and are dealing with it or giving folks the ability to deal with it.
Thats what i was hoping for here. I have snooped around and i knew there were a slew of road racers here on C5. We are getting some good info out for others.....Thanks!!!! I knew that the motor would be fine for what most of us planned on the weekends. I just want to run my car legally on a track and have some payoff for the work i've done to it. I will data log my car for exacting numbers to see where my LSX block stands and will post here when and if my motor is ever ready

Lets keep this going....kinda tired of the 9 and 10 second crowd getting all the attention Its our turn!
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #36
Li0nel1234
What should I name my car

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via AIM to Li0nel1234
Damn Phat Raplh! That's some good driving!

Ate the nissan at 9:20, then the corvette at 11 minutes... Awesome.
Performance: ARH 2"/"3 headers + ARH 3" HF catback system, SS brake lines, hawk HP+ pads, motul RBF 600 fluid, K&N CAI (w/custom insulation), plug wires, air scoop, Hurst STS, Pedders Track II suspension, 18x10 wheels, 295/45/18 Nitto NT05s
Looks: powder coated iom calipers, LED foglights w/ always on harness, custom painted bowties, window tint, smoke tinted tail lights etc, oem gfx w/ custom outlets, painted taillight bezels, all weather trunk mat
Li0nel1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #37
Phat Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li0nel1234 View Post
Damn Phat Raplh! That's some good driving!

Ate the nissan at 9:20, then the corvette at 11 minutes... Awesome.
Thanks!

Lap #4 was my fastest at CMP a 1:50s. That rabbit the GT-R made me drive a little harder. I still need more though, Vette Time Trialers are at 1:48s TTB, 1:45s TTA and TTS 1:42. I need that TTA time....
2011 Camaro RS/SS Synergy - (Pedders Xa's Coilovers, ZL1 Sways, SS Brake Lines & Bushings), Hotchkis Chassis Brace & Strut Bar, DSS 1000hp Road Race Axles, Nitto NT-01's, TSW Wheels, ADM CAI, Borla ATAK, HAWK, Granatelli Rotors, Barton Shifter, Tick Performance Clutch Line, MRS Exhaust Tips, Elite Catch Can.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #38
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Ralph, What happen on lap 7, did you ran on the grass...?

Old 07-17-2012, 10:53 PM   #39
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullF-16 View Post
Any issues with starving the motor of oil or heating the oil.

I'm about to drop a brand new HKE LSX427 motor in (see sig line for mods) and dont want to trash my second motor! I plan to run at Eagles Canyon Raceway here in Tx a few times a year to maybe monthly at track days.

Car is primarily just a street car then i figured since dumping all this money in I might as well have some fun with it.

I will be adding a large oil cooler to the LSX and running oil temp and press gauges. I may even add a 3 qt accusump if its needed.

So, anyone here have any experience with oil issues? Or issues in general?

Thanks
Hey Bull,
I ran Eagles Canyon in June at the Optima event there...I will say the oil temp was pegged at 300 when I came of the track after 5 laps...make sure you have hi-temp brake fluid in and a lot of brake pad left, because you're on the brakes hard at the end of the straights to make the corners...it is a fast and fun track, so have fun out there....
Old 07-18-2012, 05:49 AM   #40
Phat Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikamaro View Post
Ralph, What happen on lap 7, did you ran on the grass...?
A couple of things..... Got into turn #11 to hot and did not get the heavy beast slowed enough. Was not able to hit the apex of turn #11 and applied a little too much throttle at corner exit. Rear snapped loose and was unable to save it. After adding the 32mm ZL1 rear sway bar and -2deg. of camber in the rear she is loose at times. No Understeer!
Old 07-18-2012, 06:36 AM   #41
tadams72
When is enough ever...

Drives: 2006 Silverado 2500HD CC/SB LBZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Ralph View Post
A couple of things..... Got into turn #11 to hot and did not get the heavy beast slowed enough. Was not able to hit the apex of turn #11 and applied a little too much throttle at corner exit. Rear snapped loose and was unable to save it. After adding the 32mm ZL1 rear sway bar and -2deg. of camber in the rear she is loose at times. No Understeer!
-2 in the rear?! Someone is serious about their track day. I have a lot of understeer which is safe, but frustrating as hell. That's why the stockers are going away and the Forgstars with some super sticky NT01s are going in their place.

"Just like farmer engineering. Find the weak link and fix it, then find the next one." Salt Cat Racing
tadams72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:17 AM   #42
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
I've been on Mid-ohio a couple times for almost 1hr non stop and never any issues with oil temp or pressure.