Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-22-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
Craig B

Drives: 2013 1LE
Cat back or axle back?

I see lots of talk about cat back and axle back system. The big question, is there any power to gain from these systems? Is it just too make the car sound louder than stock? I see a lot of these systems out for the Camaro, but no one is claiming power increase. I would like to make mine louder, but not obnoxious. If there was an extra 10 hp to 15 hp from a cat back then it would be worth the extra $$$. Any thoughts??
Craig B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
Camper
Banned

Drives: 10' 2SS LS3 M6
the power gains to be had at simple bolt on level is hiflow cats or removal of cats. the 2.5 pipe size is fine and really isnt in need of upgrading until you start pushing real power.
Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
Craig B

Sorry forgot to say, would like to keep it legal and under warranty. No headers or cat delete.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
In that case, leave it stock. Nothing but headers will give you an hp increase. All the other stuff is just noise.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Why? Keep the warranty! Lol
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #6
Craig B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
In that case, leave it stock. Nothing but headers will give you an hp increase. All the other stuff is just noise.
Looks like I will just do a axle back Flowmaster or Borla kit then.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Criag B View Post
I see lots of talk about cat back and axle back system. The big question, is there any power to gain from these systems? Is it just too make the car sound louder than stock? I see a lot of these systems out for the Camaro, but no one is claiming power increase. I would like to make mine louder, but not obnoxious. If there was an extra 10 hp to 15 hp from a cat back then it would be worth the extra $$$. Any thoughts??
No power gain. A cat-back will give you a little more volume and different sound. An axle back will give just a different sound. The more of the stock system you get rid of, the more weight you will shed. It's not a ton, but it's some.

I strongly suggest that if you are even remotely considering long tube headers with cats, do that first. That is where you will get power gains plus it changes the sound and volume. Then you can find the exhaust you like. At that point, there are many options; you might like the sound as-is, you might want to try a muffler delete or, just an axle back - all very economical and reduces the risk of buying a system now that you want to sell later cause you don't like the sound after your header install. There are many examples of this all over this forum.

You may ultimately decide to get a catback but keep in mind that the stock h-pipe and resonator section flows just as well as aftermarket mid sections (front part of the catback). There is much debate about that but that's half the fun around here. Good luck!
Old 05-23-2013, 11:22 AM   #8
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

Drives: stockish 2012 camaro ss
It won't void your warranty unless you tune it. Just a FYI.
Nightmare2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #9
omgitsmikeyC

Drives: 2014 CTS-V- totalled/ 45TH ss- SOLD
Changing exhausts is like changing rims. Dealers accept it's not a stock option, but doesn't change anything but looks and sound. When you start removing cats and such or change emissions equip, then they care. Wise advice is to just keep a bolt on ready factory exhaust if you do change cats and such, throw them on before warranty work and remove after. Having a muffler shop weld on bolt up flanges is really cheap.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #10
2012-2SS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Go with an axle back if you just want to know that your engine is running. I currently run the Pypes Pipe bomb axle back. It sounds great and I like the bigger tips. They are also one of the best priced options too. I bought mine somewhere around $250ish

2012-2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #11
omgitsmikeyC

Drives: 2014 CTS-V- totalled/ 45TH ss- SOLD
I have a shop out here in Southlake, TX that offered to do a full cat back, including two cat delete, but leaving the front monitored ones, and muffler delete while giving me back my stock parts for about $600.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #12
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitsmikeyC View Post
I have a shop out here in Southlake, TX that offered to do a full cat back, including two cat delete, but leaving the front monitored ones, and muffler delete while giving me back my stock parts for about $600.
So they're going to cut out everything under your car, up to the front cats, then replace it with piping and only charge you $600? Sounds a little expensive to me, especially if it's pressbent piping.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #13
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitsmikeyC View Post
Huh? Not following the "....including two cat delete, but leaving the front monitored ones..." statement. Also, $600 sound awful cheap for parts and labor for doing cat back work.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #14
ex ford guy

Drives: 2011 conv 2ss/rs
What's the name of the shop? I am in Flower Mound and looking for someone local & reasonably priced.
ex ford guy is offline   Reply With Quote