Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
Steve RS/SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
1 3/4 vs 1/7/8 Long tubes

I know I saw something on the forum about this and I can not find it. I purchased 1 3/4 long tubes and have yet to install them. My question is where will the power gains be realized on the different size headers. Would one size vs the other give me more on the top end or off the line. I hope I am explaining this correctly.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

Drives: My Wife Crazy
1 7/8 was the best overall unless you were going into really high hp numbers
FaytalsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Choosing The Right Long Tube Headers
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaytalsCamaro View Post
1 7/8 was the best overall unless you were going into really high hp numbers
1-7/8ths technically are not the best overall. People keep saying that but they are wrong. The 2 inch made just as much tq yet more hp. And they did not lose power to the 1-7/8ths anywhere in the RPM band. That makes the 2 inch the best overall.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
Steve RS/SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post

Thank you!!! this is what I read...I have no engine modifications at this time. All i did was install a vararam and did an SLP exhaust. So if I am reading this correctly I picked the optimal size header. thanks again
Old 07-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
Juice2SS

Drives: 2011 2SS
On my L99, I made 366 RWHP and 388 RWTQ with a VMAX TB, 1 3/4" Clear Image Long Tubes, ADM Race CAI with scoop, and a tune. This was on the ADM Dynojet. These numbers were with SAE corrections and a smoothing factor of 5.
Juice2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
Steve RS/SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice2SS View Post
On my L99, I made 366 RWHP and 388 RWTQ with a VMAX TB, 1 3/4" Clear Image Long Tubes, ADM Race CAI with scoop, and a tune. This was on the ADM Dynojet. These numbers were with SAE corrections and a smoothing factor of 5.
nice the power increase must be noticeable
Old 07-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

Drives: stockish 2012 camaro ss
I had 1 3/4 headers and believe me you are def. Leaving some in the table.
Nightmare2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #9
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Since you have already purchased the 1 3/4", use em. Not going to be a huge difference.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

Drives: 1994 1LE / 2006 Z51 Corvette
Many things come into play with header size, primary diameter, length, collector.....

Those saying the 2" has no draw backs.....yeah no way possible. Way to big of a primary and in everything we did on testing with that size of primary and changing primary length, it lost way to much low and mid range torque and throttle response on an engine as small as a 6.2L.

When we came up with ours, there was little difference in the 1 3/4 to 1 7/8" at least in the primary lengths we tested (ours are pretty long primary) so there was no point in doing the smaller primary headers.

Those that know us for our Corvette headers however will hear me talk more about 1 3/4 for the LS3 Vette's because, of design between the two and our 1 7/8 for the Corvette using a shorter primary you have a slight loss in torque with the bigger headers.

When we finalized our design for the Camaro we built something that would make the most power under the curve from idle to redline in a number of different combo's.

If you have any questions about our headers, or header kits for the Camaro I would be more than happy to help.
Anthony @ LG Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #11
1989GTA

Drives: 1989 GTA Trans Am
Would the 1 3/4" to 1 7/8" stepped header be a good choice for him?
1989GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #12
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony @ LG Motorsports View Post
Many things come into play with header size, primary diameter, length, collector.....

Those saying the 2" has no draw backs.....yeah no way possible. Way to big of a primary and in everything we did on testing with that size of primary and changing primary length, it lost way to much low and mid range torque and throttle response on an engine as small as a 6.2L.
It lost torque and throttle response in comparison to what? The 1-3/4 headers? 1-7/8th headers? I'm no super expert, but I haven't seen any significant loss if any at all with 2 inch headers in comparison to other sizes. 6.2 liters is a lot of engine. And I'm not saying that bigger is always better. But I'd like to see where the 2 inch lost that kind of power.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #13
Steve RS/SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony @ LG Motorsports View Post

When we came up with ours, there was little difference in the 1 3/4 to 1 7/8" at least in the primary lengths we tested (ours are pretty long primary) so there was no point in doing the smaller primary headers.

Those that know us for our Corvette headers however will hear me talk more about 1 3/4 for the LS3 Vette's because, of design between the two and our 1 7/8 for the Corvette using a shorter primary you have a slight loss in torque with the bigger headers.

When we finalized our design for the Camaro we built something that would make the most power under the curve from idle to redline in a number of different combo's.

If you have any questions about our headers, or header kits for the Camaro I would be more than happy to help.

thank you Anthony
Old 07-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #14
Steve RS/SS

This is the off the article I originally saw when I made my decision for 1 3/4"-Chase posted the link again. I still think I made the correct decision for a stock engine. According to the article below I should pick up 30 hp

What Primary Diameter Should I Go With?

This is the area that seems to cause the most confusion but it is fairly straight forward. Header manufacturers usually offer two or three options when is comes to primary diameters for a specific vehicle. For example, for the Camaro SS most manufacturers are offering 1 3/4 inch, 1 7/8 inch, and 2 inch primaries. Below are some pretty typical numbers for what you can expect from traditional 4-into-1 long tube headers on an otherwise stock SS:

Stock: 370 RWHP 375 RWTQ
1 3/4 headers with high flow cats: 400 RWHP 405 RWTQ
1 7/8 headers with high flow cats: 410 RWHP 410 RWTQ
2 headers with high flow cats: 415 RWHP 410 RWTQ

As you can see, simply switching from the restrictive stock manifolds to 1 3/4 long tube headers is worth approximately 30 RWHP and 30 RWTQ on a bone stock Camaro SS. The larger the primary diameter gets the more air the headers will flow and the further up the RPM range the power band is moved. The more powerful the engine is the more beneficial it is to go with a larger diameter, especially when you introduce forced induction. This means that generally the more power you make or the more race oriented your application is the bigger primary diameter you need, the closer to stock or the more street oriented the smaller primary diameter you need.