Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 03-06-2014, 03:10 PM   #1
Dr. Evil

Drives: 2013 SS
Autox and tire discussion

I'd like to get a thread going on tire selection, results, impressions and options for our cars.
With the rule change for 200treadwear tires this opens up possibilities. Disclaimer: had I known this rule change was coming I would have purchased a 1LE because I believe the car to have in FS will be a 1LE on a set of 19" CCWs(or other lightweight wheel) with a lot of rubber underneath.
I did a lot of autox years ago and HPDE. It was in a C4 vette so its not like I'm new to this. I just got tired of having to throw cubic dollars at Hoosier Autox tires to be competitive. Well, that, raising a family and being away in the military all the time. With the new rule it looks like you could run an entire season on one set of tires.

That said, many of us are working with stock size wheels. There are a few options available to us.
I know the NittoNT05 isn't the best but its better than the stock Pirellis, is cost effective and available in our sizes.

It looks like the BFG rival is available in 265/35/20 and 285/35/20 also. Not sure how well this will work on the 8" and 9" wide wheels we have though.

I'd love to have a set of the Dunlop Direzzas but they are not available in 20" sizes. They are however in 19" and this with a set of light wheels on a 1LE would be a killer setup.

I'm thinking that locally I may just throw on a set of the Nittos, get a proper alignment and see what happens. It's be interesting to see how much of an improvement they'd offer vs the stock Pirellis. I already have a benchmark as far as knowing where I am at.
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:27 PM   #2
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
The bfg and michelins seem to be the popular ones. Someone i trust very much about tires loves his pss
Old 03-06-2014, 08:40 PM   #3
mp51998

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Currently running BFG Rivals in a 285/35R20 on stock 9" wheels on all four corners. I have to run a spacer on the front to clear. Got them from ADM. I realize this is not optimal and will remedy before season ends. Ran this setup for the first time this last weekend. Huge improvement over the BFG Comp IIs that I was running in stock staggered size. Actually 3-4 seconds faster over the last time I ran this course setup on the old wheel/ tire combo. Very happy with them.
mp51998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:07 PM   #4
Dr. Evil

I've heard good things from some corvette guys about the Michelin PSS, I'm still not sold on them but am getting there.

3-4 seconds is a huge improvement with all else being equal. If I could pick up 4 seconds over the stock Pirellis on a mid 50 second course that would put me about where I used to be amongst the leaders in our region per PAX times.

My intent was to get a thread going that we can all return to as a resource for first hand knowledge and experience.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:17 PM   #5
mp51998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
3-4 seconds is a huge improvement with all else being equal. If I could pick up 4 seconds over the stock Pirellis on a mid 50 second course that would put me about where I used to be amongst the leaders in our region per PAX times.
Everything else was the same. Just new/different tires. Fastest car was a FormulaV running 49.xx. My fastest was 52.8 +1 and a 53.4 clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
My intent was to get a thread going that we can all return to as a resource for first hand knowledge and experience.
That would be great. I'd also like to see some info and comparisons of A6 and R compound tires. Thx for starting this thread.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:27 PM   #6
Dr. Evil

MP, when I started they were using the Hoosier A3s. I stopped right after the A6 came out.
I preferred the R vs the A back then for longevity and because high HP and speed generates a lot of heat. Once hot the R was just as good and predictable as the A. It just seemed more consistent. The A was a great tire but it seemed to me at least, that it would get hot and require spraying. I guess at the national level where .05 is the difference it'd be worth it but not for regional competition. Just my thoughts, plus its more cost effective, especially if you do any type of HPDE. 20 minute sessions on an A would net you a hero lap but kill the tires, fast. That was my experience at least.

I'm really torn between the cost effectiveness of the NT05 and other brands. If I knew it'd get me 4 seconds on a 55second course I'd be all over it. Mine is not a daily driver but does go about 10k miles a year. I have a beater for bad weather.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:32 PM   #7
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Terry Fair (Vorshlag) is of that same opinion about A6's on the big track - plus if it's a time trial you need to get your hero lap in early in the session before they do go off.

A few years ago there was a video of a car on the then-new NT05's (might have been a BMW, not sure any more). Anyway, it looked like either the driver was shooting for style points hanging the tail out or that's what these tires tend to do (and it looked like they were drifting just a little too easily). Terry didn't care for them either.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:46 PM   #8
mp51998

Just for comparison my buddy ran his Camaro 52.7 clean to win the class. He is on Firestone Wide Oval Indy 500 275/40R20 all around. He also has Megan Racing Coilovers and I'm on Pedders Super Car Coilovers. He's had these tires for three AutoX events.

Last edited by mp51998; 03-07-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:50 PM   #9
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp51998 View Post
Currently running BFG Rivals in a 285/35R20 on stock 9" wheels on all four corners. I have to run a spacer on the front to clear. Got them from ADM. I realize this is not optimal and will remedy before season ends. Ran this setup for the first time this last weekend. Huge improvement over the BFG Comp IIs that I was running in stock staggered size. Actually 3-4 seconds faster over the last time I ran this course setup on the old wheel/ tire combo. Very happy with them.

I'm not surprised that you had a big pick up over the Comp2's, because that tire is horrible when I tried them...my understanding is the Rival's run a tire formula similar to the Michelin PSS in a different carcass. I know many people who tried the Rivals and went back to the Michelin's or Falken's. I've tried a lot of 200TW tires and the Michelin PSS is the best of the tires out there for grip, wet or dry....

The only tire that I would run if in sizes I could use is the Falken Azeni's, but 18" affects the gearing negatively due to shorter tire sizes.

that being said, the NT-05 is a predictable tire once you get used to them, the grip is pretty good fresh, and they tend to go away pretty quickly with aggressive driving, so while cheaper than the Michelin's, I found myself replacing them more frequently. If you use the Nitto's, watch the tire pressure closely when autocrossing, as the center stripe gets worn pretty quickly if you don't....
Old 03-07-2014, 02:36 PM   #10
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: a very fun car
Get a squared set up it will help out a ton
Old 03-07-2014, 04:36 PM   #11
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Not wanting to spend a lot of money on rims and tires like the expensive ones that were mention. How about those TSW or DRAG rims wrapped in 19in summer performance tires? With a squared set up of 275/40. Will this be effective? I don't have the cash for light rims or actual track tires. I also don't want to tear up my tires I ride on everyday just for auto-x.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:13 PM   #12
WarWolfX0

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE Manual
What about the Nitto Invos, and Vredestein Sessanta
i am looking to keep my cost below $1200 for the tires
but i want to keep the tires for 3 seasons with some autox (5 times this year)
I currently have 20" TSW Nurburgring staggered and am thinking about going with 18" or 19" in the furture.
would the side wall flex be a bad thing for the 18"
or is 19" the sweet spot
and is a square setup the best for this car i have been reading and it looks split between square and staggered
WarWolfX0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:35 PM   #13
sting808

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
A few years ago there was a video of a car on the then-new NT05's (might have been a BMW, not sure any more). Anyway, it looked like either the driver was shooting for style points hanging the tail out or that's what these tires tend to do (and it looked like they were drifting just a little too easily). Terry didn't care for them either.

Norm
The NT05s get pretty slippery at limits when they're worn down. Much better than Invos, but I didn't care for them. I just picked up Pilot Super Sports for my DD and rain auto-x days.
sting808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:41 PM   #14
sting808

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
that being said, the NT-05 is a predictable tire once you get used to them, the grip is pretty good fresh, and they tend to go away pretty quickly with aggressive driving, so while cheaper than the Michelin's, I found myself replacing them more frequently. If you use the Nitto's, watch the tire pressure closely when autocrossing, as the center stripe gets worn pretty quickly if you don't....
I'm down to 4/32 on the center on my NT05s and they're useless at limits. But then again, a lot of it is driver.

Was considering the RS-3 supposed 200 version, but went with R888s for dry, PSS for street/wet. The NT-05 didn't last a year at auto-x.
sting808 is offline   Reply With Quote