Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 10-13-2014, 03:02 PM   #15
Balok

Drives: 2014 Spring Edition SS
Interested in design and cost as well.
Balok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:34 PM   #16
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
i sincerely hope that the cost isn't the main feature the designer and subsequent manufactures are worried about.......
Old 10-14-2014, 11:44 PM   #17
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
i sincerely hope that the cost isn't the main feature the designer and subsequent manufactures are worried about.......
Strength and adjustability are the primary considerations. It certainly doesn't have to be expensive to meet those expectations. Thanks for your support.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:13 PM   #18
EarlyApex

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS 1LE
The cost for the tank plates was way out of line. It is a plate with 2 bends in it and 4 weld on tapped bars for the seat belt mounts. $350 for that was too much $$$. We have a steel supply house in my area that does laser cutting and forming and I think the tapped bosses are an off the shelf item so only the welding and paint would be required for the manufacturer. A great target price would be under $200.

Good luck with your project!
Old 10-20-2014, 11:37 PM   #19
White_SS/RS

Thought I'd put this here. Prototype is in testing. Course this doesn't show any hardware.
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2014, 06:09 PM   #20
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
Interested as well.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:33 PM   #21
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Will these tank plates intrude minimally into the rear passenger foot wells?
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:27 PM   #22
Z/28Dan

Drives: 2013 HWSE Indy Festial #26
I am interested.

Dan
Z/28Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:44 PM   #23
White_SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalnch View Post
Will these tank plates intrude minimally into the rear passenger foot wells?
They extend back past the seat tracks by about 3 inches and closely follow the contour of the floor. Once I get them back from testing I will get some installed pics.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:31 PM   #24
sting808

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
Thought I'd put this here. Prototype is in testing. Course this doesn't show any hardware.
I would suggest adding a folded lip to anchor the plate to the OE shoulder belt bolt like on the Speedware one.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319507

This should help keep the rear of the plate from lifting under extreme conditions and possibly acting like a pry bar. Low risk for auto-X, but worth considering. If I ran a road course, I would be using a 5 or 6 point cage and possibly different seats for safety. My helmet barely touches the roof(non-sunroof) with the power seats at the lowest position, sightly reclined. I'm not overly concerned since I only Auto-X in lots.

Nice work recreating their plate. I have a poorly fitting drivers side and an unused passsenger side sitting in my garage. I just used the replacement drivers side Speedware provided. Debating about getting rid of it. If you can improve on their design, it'll be great.
sting808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:43 PM   #25
White_SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting808 View Post
I would suggest adding a folded lip to anchor the plate to the OE shoulder belt bolt like on the Speedware one.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319507

This should help keep the rear of the plate from lifting under extreme conditions and possibly acting like a pry bar. Low risk for auto-X, but worth considering. If I ran a road course, I would be using a 5 or 6 point cage and possibly different seats for safety. My helmet barely touches the roof(non-sunroof) with the power seats at the lowest position, sightly reclined. I'm not overly concerned since I only Auto-X in lots.

Nice work recreating their plate. I have a poorly fitting drivers side and an unused passsenger side sitting in my garage. I just used the replacement drivers side Speedware provided. Debating about getting rid of it. If you can improve on their design, it'll be great.
It's still in the testing phase but so far the results have been more than sufficient with this design. I'm using a high strength low alloy grade of steel that has a yield rate almost 5x the tensile strength of the 3 inch webbing in the harness itself. Basically you'll break the belts before any thing starts to happen with the plate.

Also note that most high end polyester harnesses will stretch up to 15% and absorb most of the shock load that would be seen. So for example, if your lap belts are 48" long they will stretch about 7" with 2500lbs of load. These same harnesses require a mounting point capable of supporting a 3500lb shock load. So far this plate design deflects .38" with 15,000lbs. of load on it, hardly significant in comparison to the belts.

As far as the tab is considered, and I understand your concern. like I said, it's not likely that the plate would see the load required to bend it and even with it in place it still only secures one side. I still may include it in the final product. If people are more comfortable with the tab in place I can certainly add it.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:28 AM   #26
sting808

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
It's still in the testing phase but so far the results have been more than sufficient with this design. I'm using a high strength low alloy grade of steel that has a yield rate almost 5x the tensile strength of the 3 inch webbing in the harness itself. Basically you'll break the belts before any thing starts to happen with the plate.

Also note that most high end polyester harnesses will stretch up to 15% and absorb most of the shock load that would be seen. So for example, if your lap belts are 48" long they will stretch about 7" with 2500lbs of load. These same harnesses require a mounting point capable of supporting a 3500lb shock load. So far this plate design deflects .38" with 15,000lbs. of load on it, hardly significant in comparison to the belts.

As far as the tab is considered, and I understand your concern. like I said, it's not likely that the plate would see the load required to bend it and even with it in place it still only secures one side. I still may include it in the final product. If people are more comfortable with the tab in place I can certainly add it.
Good to know. I wasn't really impressed with the fit & finish of the Speedware product, but it works for my needs. It seems my plate flexes and squeaks when going over hard bumps under normal driving using the OE belts. I'm hesitant to torque down the seat bolts any tighter. And damn was it pricey.
sting808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:18 AM   #27
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Very interested in this!
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:12 AM   #28
White_SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting808 View Post
Good to know. I wasn't really impressed with the fit & finish of the Speedware product, but it works for my needs. It seems my plate flexes and squeaks when going over hard bumps under normal driving using the OE belts. I'm hesitant to torque down the seat bolts any tighter. And damn was it pricey.
Interesting, the squeaking is probably from where the plate secures to the seat belt bolt. Speedware slotted the hole in the tab so it's not really a solid fit, I'm sure it's rubbing on the bolt causing the noise.