Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 11-07-2014, 04:36 PM   #1
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Z/28 Brake Ducts vs Quantum Brake Ducts

Ok, since the Z/28 brake ducts will be made available according to the information coming from SEMA, which application would provide the most benefit? I think the Quantum setup can give direct placement on cooling the rotors but the Z/28's can direct air to the calipers, brake pads and rotors. There also seems to be less constraint with the Z/28's pertaining to interference with the mechanicals of the suspension. What are some of your thought's on the Z/28's brake ducts efficiency as opposed to the Quantum's?

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 12:29 AM   #2
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
If Z/28 ducts are what I think they are, and if they're merely ducting air to the wheel well, they will not be sufficient.

You need to cool down the rotors. It is the rotors that absorb the heat generated, and it is the rotors that start overheating the rest of the system when they're overwhelmed. Keeling the rotors cool also keep everything else cool.

I had similar ductings on my Corvette Z06. I installed Quantum's ducting kit on it, brining the air directly onto the rotors, which had greatly improved the cooling capacity.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:25 AM   #3
Synner

Drives: cars
Quantums are superior by far, the only negative is the hose is a wear item but worth it for the added cooling capability if you're serious about tracking.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 02:43 PM   #4
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
The Quantum kit is the way to go..

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley

2013 NASA ST1/ST2/TT2 National Champions
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:40 PM   #5
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Both Would be ideal. Connect the quantum kit where the z/28 leaves off. The z28 takes care of getting the air inside the wheel housing and from there you'll have a shorter section of hose to run to the rotor/quantum assembly.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:12 PM   #6
Aero_Sport_Concepts
aerosportconcepts@gmail

Drives: '15 1SS-RS/1LE (RRM)
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
Both Would be ideal. Connect the quantum kit where the z/28 leaves off. The z28 takes care of getting the air inside the wheel housing and from there you'll have a shorter section of hose to run to the rotor/quantum assembly.
Way easier said then done. Until you try it might want to rethink your statement. The Wheel pinches so tight to the inside of the wheel well it only leave approx 1" of clear space before it would rub against the 3" Hose. Need to find an additional 2" somewhere or that hose will be cut the first time out.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:16 PM   #7
Aero_Sport_Concepts
aerosportconcepts@gmail

Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
If Z/28 ducts are what I think they are, and if they're merely ducting air to the wheel well, they will not be sufficient.

You need to cool down the rotors. It is the rotors that absorb the heat generated, and it is the rotors that start overheating the rest of the system when they're overwhelmed. Keeling the rotors cool also keep everything else cool.

I had similar ductings on my Corvette Z06. I installed Quantum's ducting kit on it, brining the air directly onto the rotors, which had greatly improved the cooling capacity.
Wrong. I found it reduces temp by close to 75-100 degrees verses nothing. The Duct allows a large amount of air into the wheel well, forcing the hotter air out. Did a couple test at the track and notice a good bit of difference. Now i know it also depends on the driving style of each driver also. But i compared someone turning approx same lap time as myself to come up with these measurements. This coming year i plan one more test to verify by closing vent on one side on my car and keeping other side open. Should be able to get better read out.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:21 PM   #8
AG1LE

Drives: '14 1LE
I like the Z/28 ducts, but will need something custom, since I don't want to give up my CAI scoop - have an idea of where I would route the ducts, just not quite sure how to fab it.
AG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:31 PM   #9
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
I have the Quantum set up. When my buddy and me ran Fontana last year, my calipers were 200 degrees cooler then his. We both have 1LE's so that is on an even playing field.
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2014, 06:58 PM   #10
X25

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickrichic View Post
Wrong. I found it reduces temp by close to 75-100 degrees verses nothing. The Duct allows a large amount of air into the wheel well, forcing the hotter air out. Did a couple test at the track and notice a good bit of difference. Now i know it also depends on the driving style of each driver also. But i compared someone turning approx same lap time as myself to come up with these measurements. This coming year i plan one more test to verify by closing vent on one side on my car and keeping other side open. Should be able to get better read out.
"Wrong" is a bold statement. I did have similarly designed OEM ducting on my Z06, and when I finally switched to full ducting, my top temps were literally halved (measured by temp paint, not the temps post a cool-down lap).

Is the OEM ducting useful? Of course! Is it similar to full ducting in performance? Not even close in my experience.

For a Z28, for heavy track use, if you want to keep your ridiculously expensive rotors longer, cooling is paramount. Any additional cooling would help, so full ducting is no-brainer. For others, if, for instance, your ZL1 brakes can last with no fade with simple OEM ducting, you're good : )
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
Old 12-19-2014, 07:31 PM   #11
Aero_Sport_Concepts
aerosportconcepts@gmail

Quote:
"Wrong" is a bold statement. I did have similarly designed OEM ducting on my Z06, and when I finally switched to full ducting, my top temps were literally halved (measured by temp paint, not the temps post a cool-down lap).

Is the OEM ducting useful? Of course! Is it similar to full ducting in performance? Not even close in my experience.

For a Z28, for heavy track use, if you want to keep your ridiculously expensive rotors longer, cooling is paramount. Any additional cooling would help, so full ducting is no-brainer. For others, if, for instance, your ZL1 brakes can last with no fade with simple OEM ducting, you're good : )
True True Full Ducting would be much better but to have a 15% deduction in temp just from a Duct Inlet IMO is not bad and to say it is not really that significant is incorrect. Any temp deduction in the Brakes is worth looking into. Just saying.

Not sure if something in the configuration from '13 to '14/'15 has changed but i purchased the Quantum Duct Coolers and to this day can not find a way to route them through the maze of control arms and sway bar to properly position them without getting ripped.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:45 PM   #12
X25

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickrichic View Post
True True Full Ducting would be much better but to have a 15% deduction in temp just from a Duct Inlet IMO is not bad and to say it is not really that significant is incorrect. Any temp deduction in the Brakes is worth looking into. Just saying.

Not sure if something in the configuration from '13 to '14/'15 has changed but i purchased the Quantum Duct Coolers and to this day can not find a way to route them through the maze of control arms and sway bar to properly position them without getting ripped.
Let me help you on that:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376822

The updated route mentioned at step 11 is EXCELLENT. I can do full turns lock-to-lock (even though I have 305/30/19 tires), and I don't rub anything whatsoever. I also did not notice any wear on them, since they don't touch any control arm. I am very happy with the results.
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
Old 12-19-2014, 07:55 PM   #13
Aero_Sport_Concepts
aerosportconcepts@gmail

Quote:
Let me help you on that:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376822

The updated route mentioned at step 11 is EXCELLENT. I can do full turns lock-to-lock (even though I have 305/30/19 tires), and I don't rub anything whatsoever. I also did not notice any wear on them, since they don't touch any control arm. I am very happy with the results.
I'll look into this option. I think i saw your post a while back right after i purchased them. All i saw were people having issues with them getting ripped. I have the Rotor Plates on just never finished the Hose install. But ya definitely Full Hose to the Rotor is the Best way but Quantum really doesn't help ya out alot with the directions on how to install it. I'll give it another go around. Thanks
Old 06-02-2015, 03:50 PM   #14
alexmak

Drives: 2013 1LE
hey guys, quick question —*do brake ducts from Z/28 are compatible with 2013 1LE?
alexmak is offline   Reply With Quote