Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-01-2015, 08:15 PM   #1
BaneSlayer

Drives: 2011 V6
stock pipes & muffler

Hey guys. This might sound like a crazy question. This is my first relatively new car, opposed to my charger that I traded in, which I bought with flowmasters on it. Exhaust isn't what I know best so I have a question. My current exhaust is stock with 2 mufflers near the tips. Would I be able to have a shop take off the exhaust mufflers, pipe that part and then put a flowmaster etc muffler in with the stock pipes or is my best bet just getting a whole new system pipes and all?
Thanks.
BaneSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:23 PM   #2
hzisfrom1994
ZYJ

Drives: 2017 1SS Camaro/6 speed
Of course you can. What you are asking is just cut, and weld job. Any muffler shop can do the job you want.
hzisfrom1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:38 PM   #3
BaneSlayer

Drives: 2011 V6
Alrighty man. Will there be a sound loss or no performance gain because of just a muffler?
BaneSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:57 PM   #4
Lacpac

Drives: 2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat RS
You might want to go to a local Camaro meet and listen to the aftermarket exhausts people have installed to define what you like. You can listen to clips online but it really helps to go in person. I selected the MRT2 axle back and really like it. Very simple to install as well. There are great axle back and cat back systems out there. It boils down to personal taste.
Lacpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:08 PM   #5
hzisfrom1994
ZYJ

Drives: 2017 1SS Camaro/6 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaneSlayer View Post
Alrighty man. Will there be a sound loss or no performance gain because of just a muffler?
What are you planning to do? A muffler delete? If you do so, you will get a LOUD, and RASPY sound from your car with heavy drone, I suppose. Never done one since people around the forum said that a muffler delete sounds horrible for our V6, but good for the V8. But, you can add a magnaflow resonated x pipe to deeper the tone and volume of the car to make it sounds better. In addition, you will lose a little bit of torque because of loss of back pressure.
hzisfrom1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:46 PM   #6
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
The Flowmaster system is a good system. I would focus elsewhere for gains. If you're going for sound, try headers.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:50 PM   #7
jcamaro
Obsessed Much?

Drives: 2015 Silver 1SS/RS M6
I did exactly what you stated: removed old mufflers, connected Flowmaster Super 44s to stock pipes, then used stock tips. Here is what it sounds like:

Old 02-03-2015, 04:17 PM   #8
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hzisfrom1994 View Post
What are you planning to do? A muffler delete? If you do so, you will get a LOUD, and RASPY sound from your car with heavy drone, I suppose. Never done one since people around the forum said that a muffler delete sounds horrible for our V6, but good for the V8. But, you can add a magnaflow resonated x pipe to deeper the tone and volume of the car to make it sounds better. In addition, you will lose a little bit of torque because of loss of back pressure.
With the stock cats and a new x-pipe he prob wont see any loss in low end torque... theres still a ton of back pressure with those stock cats.
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote