Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 03-24-2015, 10:32 PM   #1
Dameat63

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS convertible
exhaust for convertibles.

I am wondering which brand exhaust to by that will improve performance on my 2014 L99. I want louder but not so loud it drowns out everything in the cabin. Any suggestions?
Dameat63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:54 AM   #2
iCamaro81

Drives: 2014 Camaro Convertible L99
Do you want to improve performance or are you primarily concerned with the sound or both? Also, what is your price range? Depending on those answers someone may give you some options but from your question there are to many options to list.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:27 AM   #3
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Flowmaster Force II. It is built specifically for the convertible. I wanted the same thing as you: Loud, but not so loud it shakes your teeth loose. It took me about an hour to install. Enjoy!

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:44 AM   #4
CCMADONNA

Drives: 2014 SW 2SS/RS
I went with the Borla cat-back from Chevy Performance -- you get the bow tie logos on the stainless tips while maintaining the Borla quality.

When you're going for sound, that's a very personal preference so listen to lots of sound clips. I might suggest, however, that you factor in the sound a solid cold air intake will give you when partnered with your choice of exhaust.

Personally, I went with the gigantic Airaid cai with the gigantic non-oiled blue air filter coupled with the Chevy Performance cat-back and that was good for me.

Listen to as many clips as you can.
Attached Images

2014 2SS/RS VERT L99
SUMMIT WHITE
AIRAID CAI
BORLA ATAK CAT-BACK EXHAUST
ELITE ENGINEERING CATCH-CAN
RANGE AFM-DELETE MODULE
HUPER OPTIK 40
CHROME PEDALS
PREMIUM FLOOR MATS
PREMIUM CARGO MAT
DEDICATED 32GB iPHONE HD
[/I][/B][IMG][/IMG]
CCMADONNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:40 PM   #5
ToddB

Drives: 2011 2SS Convertible Supercharged
Corsa. Loud when u want to hear it and quiet when u don't. Absolutely no drone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ToddB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:09 PM   #6
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
You will not gain any performance with a catback or axle back. They are for sound only.
I have Solo high flow cats with the factory exhaust, which is good for up to 500rwhp. You will gain ~12-15rwhp from the high flow cats and get a dual mode like system. Factory quiet at cruise and low rpms, but a nice high performance sound when you jump on it. If you plan on LT headers down the road skip the HF cats as most of the LT's come with them. Solo makes a catback for the convertible that have j-pipes and can be adjusted to get rid of the drone. It is also one of the least expensive at under $900. There are some sound clips on their website. http://solo-performance.com/mach-xc-cat-back-camaro
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:41 PM   #7
KickerZ71

Drives: Camaro SS
I went with the solo exhaust, no regrets so far. It sounds great and not to loud if your crushing top down and having a conversation
Holy suggestion is if you have an automatic get it tuned or get the Range AFM, there's no drone but man the AFM system is much more noticeable with after market exhaust
Good luck
KickerZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:11 PM   #8
JSTRAMIT

Drives: ss camaro
kickerZ71 Do you have the axle back or the cat back System?. I have a 2011 with factory ground effects . Looking for a better sounding exhaust .

Thanks
JSTRAMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:03 PM   #9
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS PANTHER View Post
You will not gain any performance with a catback or axle back. They are for sound only.
I have Solo high flow cats with the factory exhaust, which is good for up to 500rwhp. You will gain ~12-15rwhp from the high flow cats and get a dual mode like system. Factory quiet at cruise and low rpms, but a nice high performance sound when you jump on it. If you plan on LT headers down the road skip the HF cats as most of the LT's come with them. Solo makes a catback for the convertible that have j-pipes and can be adjusted to get rid of the drone. It is also one of the least expensive at under $900. There are some sound clips on their website. http://solo-performance.com/mach-xc-cat-back-camaro
Not entirely true for hp gain. I have the Borla atak and gained 30rwhp when it was dyno again so it depends on what you are looking for. No drone and actually it has the sound when step on and keeps the cabin quiet on a cruise. But again it's all about personal preference.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:15 PM   #10
13BRM2SSRS

Drives: 13 Camaro 2SS Vert L99
Another option is a muffler delete. Its about the cheapest way to improve the sound plus shed 30 to 40 lbs. Sounds a lot better than stock and will not be too loud. If you have an L99 you will also want to get rid of the AFM (4 cylinder mode) with a Range device because it will really sound like crap without the mufflers. I'm also considering high flow cats for 15 - 20 extra hp and a bit more sound.
Black GFX / Dynatech Supermaxx LT Headers / FR Black Chrome ZL1 Replicas 275/315 / RDP Tune / CAI / VMAX TB / MBRP SS Catback / Gtechniq CSL & EXOV3 / VTC / RX Catch Can / Valentine 1 / Halo DRL / LED Fogs
13BRM2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:29 PM   #11
Dameat63

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS convertible
Wow. Lots of good feedback. I have the L99 and AFM. Of course I would like everything I add to be a performance enhancement but don't want it to sound like I'm trying to make an all out race car. I don't think I will ever go with long tube headers at least not at the moment. Lol. I do have a CAI on it. I have done the fuse pull. What a difference for those of you that have SS's I highly recommend it. I will get exhaust. I'm asking this forum because who knows how a convertible sounds better than a convertible owner?
Dameat63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:01 AM   #12
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace0751 View Post
Not entirely true for hp gain. I have the Borla atak and gained 30rwhp when it was dyno again so it depends on what you are looking for. No drone and actually it has the sound when step on and keeps the cabin quiet on a cruise. But again it's all about personal preference.
Negative. I have never heard of anyone getting anywhere close to 30rwhp out of a catback system. Maybe 3-5rwhp at best. You must have had some bolt ons like a CAI, etc. and had it dynoed with the aggregate mods to achieve 30rwhp. Tuners chime in on this one. I will buy a Borla Atak system tomorrow if it will produce 30rwhp by itself with a dyno.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:44 AM   #13
KickerZ71

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTRAMIT View Post
kickerZ71 Do you have the axle back or the cat back System?. I have a 2011 with factory ground effects . Looking for a better sounding exhaust .

Thanks

It's the solo mach xl cat back.
KickerZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:50 AM   #14
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Flowmaster axle back and stainless power headers

http://youtu.be/AERp0zh6yOg

http://youtu.be/-2--DjfBQFg

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote