Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-23-2016, 11:16 AM   #1
Driveshaftshop

Drives: own more cars than i can list
2016 Axles explained, Better than 5th gen.

2016 Camaro Axles are ready, Thanks to our Friends over at Carlyle Racing for sending the samples. These parts are ready to ship. (Auto Driveshafts also)
RA5430X5------2016 Camaro SS X5 1400hp Driver Side Axle (Short)
RA5431X5------ 2016 Camaro SS X5 1400hp Passenger Side Axle (Long)
So the 2016 Camaro is out now, and like any of the newer platforms by GM we have seen lately the Drivetrain is nicely done. The axle is closer to the ZL1 axle in design but has an interesting twist, the inner is not able to be un-bolted (more on this later). We all know the ZL1 axles were built stronger than the 2010-2015 SS model, but they too seem to have issues in the 600-700Hp range. Like any axle we look to make here at DSS, we always open the axle up for the critical dimensions but also to see what was done by the manufacturer to make this new 2016 model better than the 5th gen style it’s replacing. They don’t disappoint (maybe us a little, but not you if you or are getting one) but guessing what HP they can handle? This sort of thing is always hard, but like all OE's they have come to realize the axles have to be better and this one is. We found the bars and internals are closer to the C7 corvette or the CTS-V axles in the fact that not only the internal splines are much larger but the CV parts themselves are also. The CV's are done in series and this one is the same as what can be found on Vipers, Lamborghini's and a few other high end, high HP cars. The axles are also done with the "anti-wheel hop" design that in a stock application kind of helps wheel hop, but in high HP applications causes an unbalanced strength and will basically just be one axle stronger than the other.
So, what DSS has decided to do for this is start with our exclusive "Fixed" outer CV design. Just like factory, non-plunging at the wheel end. Back with the 5th gen car we realized with having a plunging CV on both ends there was an angle limit that if surpassed, the axle bar became unstable and moved back and forth causing undue wear on internal parts and sometimes noise. We will be using this fixed outer so as the cars are lowered and the angle becomes greater, this will not be an issue. The Fixed outer is a Billet Chromoly housing and full billet Chromoly internals, the same parts used on Carlyle Racing's Corvette, American Racing Headers Camaro and many more record winning cars without issue. The Axle bars will be larger, the one on this axle is a bit bigger then the 5th gen at 1.170 and I’m going to make a guess that the axle may hold as much as 900HP? The Driveshaft Shop axle will have the 300M Bars with rolled splines and ground centers that will allow the bars to torsionally twist but not break. We WILL NOT be making them in the Anti-Wheel hop style for this reason, with all the years and experience we have behind us we have come to realize the axles need to be the same diameter in high HP cars to ensure they are the same strength. Wheel hop should be addressed at the source (bushings, mounts, etc.) and when this is done correctly, you will need axles that will be of equal strength. Being this axle from the factory will more than likely handle so much power, it would un-wise to make the axles any other way in our opinion.
Bolt on inner CV-- This is the 1st Camaro to come with a Bolt-on inner CV and after looking at the stub it is our opinion that the spline diameter of 1.375” and the material that it is made from, that the spline is going to stronger then the differential, but time will tell. This again is a good thing for you the consumer as you do not need to buy extra parts. The inner CV is a GKN 116mm version and DSS stocks these, so the axle will be sold without the stub and the costs that are associated with it. If in the future this becomes an issue, we can always make it. But again, judging from a long history of making parts, more than likely it will not ever be needed as the differential will probably be an issue before this. So there you have it, a completely new Axle from DSS for the 6th Gen Camaro. Driveshafts are being made now and will be available like this on the site in a few days. All parts are made and ready to be assembled for you, if you’re planning to get past what we believe the stock axles will hold.
The Driveshaft Shop
4530 Southmark Dr
Salisbury NC 28147
(800)564-2244

Driveshaftshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:42 AM   #2
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Nice..

What's your thoughts on the A8 driveshafts as well?
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:45 AM   #3
Driveshaftshop

We actually have made a few of them already (will will have the info up in a few days on them) There basically the same as the 5th gens with the smaller bolts so with a decent amount of power they will be an issue. sorry
Old 02-23-2016, 11:48 AM   #4
HumanWiki

Gotcha..

I had a set of axles (not yours) come with my Maggie back with my manual 5th gen and the knuckles could act up and be sloppy. Had them replaced once and they were on the verge of needing replacement again when I traded in. Friend of mine has issues with hers as well even w/o the blower power I had. Both of us were lowered a bit though.

This is my first auto Camaro and if I mod, I'm planning on going right to something like a ProCharger and drag radials. No AutoX or Road Course racing really.

Just looking in to what all I would want done, while it's in the shop.

Thanks again.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:55 AM   #5
Driveshaftshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
Gotcha..

I had a set of axles (not yours) come with my Maggie back with my manual 5th gen and the knuckles could act up and be sloppy. Had them replaced once and they were on the verge of needing replacement again when I traded in. Friend of mine has issues with hers as well even w/o the blower power I had. Both of us were lowered a bit though.

This is my first auto Camaro and if I mod, I'm planning on going right to something like a ProCharger and drag radials. No AutoX or Road Course racing really.

Just looking in to what all I would want done, while it's in the shop.

Thanks again.
What you may be referring to is the issue we spoke about above, if the axles were made with moving CV's on each end and the suspension was lowered it would cause the center bar to move back and forth with each hit of the gas pedal, We realized this about 2 years ago and changed our design back to same style like the Factory with the outer CV being fixed to the center (keeping it from moving) and allowing the inner to only move with the suspension. At one time for us it was also an issue but with the Re-design its has not been at all. Hope this helps explain what may have happened......
Old 02-23-2016, 11:58 AM   #6
HumanWiki

That sounds about right... It was covered each time, so it wasn't a charge for me
.. Just frustrating at the time.. But, early modder blues and all.

Looking forward to seeing the DS from you guys as well.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:17 PM   #7
Driveshaftshop

Ill say this, We at DSS more than likely use more of the 108mm CV's we used on both ends at the time than anyone in the country, there used on more platforms than any other CV we have ever used (over 1000 a month) the issue we saw on the 5th Gen was an anomaly to be honest but we proved this "moving back and forth" issue using the High speed balancer and putting the axle at 7 or more degrees of operation. Actually one of the "gofer guys" at a local speed shop was the one who altered us to this, when he dropped a set of worn axles i saw the ends had fallen apart in the box, the cage had wear like a car that had 75000-95000 miles (had allot less) He said he watched the axles on the Dyno and saw the axle move back and forth allot, this led me to look into this issue more. No one including GNK Germany knew this would happen, just one of those things. when a DSS axle for the 5th gen is sent back for warranty work this "change is done" with out anyone asking. change is what makes part better, we always looking to make them better.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:18 PM   #8
HumanWiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveshaftshop View Post
Ill say this, We at DSS more than likely use more of the 108mm CV's we used on both ends at the time than anyone in the country, there used on more platforms than any other CV we have ever used (over 1000 a month) the issue we saw on the 5th Gen was an anomaly to be honest but we proved this "moving back and forth" issue using the High speed balancer and putting the axle at 7 or more degrees of operation. Actually one of the "gofer guys" at a local speed shop was the one who altered us to this, when he dropped a set of worn axles i saw the ends had fallen apart in the box, the cage had wear like a car that had 75000-95000 miles (had allot less) He said he watched the axles on the Dyno and saw the axle move back and forth allot, this led me to look into this issue more. No one including GNK Germany knew this would happen, just one of those things. when a DSS axle for the 5th gen is sent back for warranty work this "change is done" with out anyone asking. change is what makes part better, we always looking to make them better.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:59 AM   #9
LibertyHill

Drives: 16 2SS 6MT NPP MRC / 15 K1300S
This thread was before my time. Great info. Any thoughts on bolts loosening at the carrier? It seems this was the failure on a couple occasions. Would there be value in safety wiring these or is it not typically an issue properly thread-locked?

Rohana RFX-5 10/11, M/T 275/305, Eibachs, Hellwigs, Hurst SS, DMS LT4 SC 596HP/589TQ, DMS Low-side, Kooks 2LTs, MBRP Race, Rotofab, MMS CC
LibertyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:12 PM   #10
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyHill View Post
This thread was before my time. Great info. Any thoughts on bolts loosening at the carrier? It seems this was the failure on a couple occasions. Would there be value in safety wiring these or is it not typically an issue properly thread-locked?
I was told for '17 GM changed axle suppliers due to "manufacturing issues" with the previous supplier. There are all new axle part numbers for '17 as well. Curious if the bolt issue was one of the reasons for the change...
Old 01-29-2017, 12:51 PM   #11
Cdflyer

Drives: 2016 1SS 6speed
It might have been due to the fact that the axles are weak. I snapped one (with a sticky tire) clean in half. It was definitely interesting. I've since upgraded.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:51 PM   #12
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdflyer View Post
It might have been due to the fact that the axles are weak. I snapped one (with a sticky tire) clean in half. It was definitely interesting. I've since upgraded.
Well, 4000 rpm clutch dumps on slicks can do that to stock axles lol...
Old 01-29-2017, 07:00 PM   #13
Cdflyer

Drives: 2016 1SS 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
Well, 4000 rpm clutch dumps on slicks can do that to stock axles lol...
Well, it was 4600, and not so much dumped. The car doesn't make enough TQ to just dump and run. But with the right release timing to get and keep the wheel speed up, they definitely don't like it. Lol
Old 01-30-2017, 10:52 AM   #14
Driveshaftshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyHill View Post
We actually had ARP make us a run of them with a 12 point head and hole for the wire, we find most times loctite is fine but i wondering if poly bushings may contribute to harmonics and bolts coming loose.