Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 03-17-2017, 09:40 AM   #43
KenB925

Drives: Raptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by le1999 View Post
Thanks for the responses gents.

I'm thinking of throwing 15-20k on a credit card vs down payment (then pay it off) so I can get the cash back / miles. Was curious if anyone had similar ideas.
I am planning on leasing (business purposes), but I like putting the down payment on the credit card idea.
KenB925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:44 AM   #44
FLYNNZL1
Wicked ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 HBM
Send a message via ICQ to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via MSN to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Yahoo to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Skype™ to FLYNNZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
They offered me 2.1% and hindsight I probably should have taken it. I just don't like to go anywhere but USAA.

I like your idea but wouldn't USAA jump to 2.99 for a used car? Still might work out in the math...
It would still be concerted new, 2016 and 2017 models. I called USAA in the finance guys office , he suggested to do what I did, I guess there are some cool finance guys You can't go wrong with USAA anyways, plus we have baddass cars
2017 Hyper Blue Metallic ZL1 A10/CF Hood Insert/PDR/NAV MODS: Rotofab CAI/V-MAX CNC Ported Throttle Body/Clear Bra/LED Reverse Light/Rock Guards/Lift Pads/Darkened Tail Lights/Ghost-Tinted LED Side Markers/Darkened 3rd Brake Light
FLYNNZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:36 AM   #45
Squatch
Camaro pilot

Drives: 69 Camaro, 2014 ZL1
My brother pays cash for everything, recently bought a truck for 25k...nothing like seeing 25 sandwich baggies each with 1k in it. looks like something out of a movie.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:45 AM   #46
FLYNNZL1
Wicked ZL1

Send a message via ICQ to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via MSN to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Yahoo to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Skype™ to FLYNNZL1
A kid (like early 20's) paid cash for a Special ED Grand sport last week at my dealer, maybe that kid is a dealer or a internet Startup
2017 Hyper Blue Metallic ZL1 A10/CF Hood Insert/PDR/NAV MODS: Rotofab CAI/V-MAX CNC Ported Throttle Body/Clear Bra/LED Reverse Light/Rock Guards/Lift Pads/Darkened Tail Lights/Ghost-Tinted LED Side Markers/Darkened 3rd Brake Light
Old 03-17-2017, 10:46 AM   #47
GarnetRedJuan

Drives: 2017 garnet red zl1 2022 AT4 HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatch View Post
My brother pays cash for everything, recently bought a truck for 25k...nothing like seeing 25 sandwich baggies each with 1k in it. looks like something out of a movie.
You would think dealerships would be used to that kind of thing.

Imagine seeing the face of a private seller when you show up with that figure in cash. Let's just say, your negotiation power increases immensley.
GarnetRedJuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:49 AM   #48
FLYNNZL1
Wicked ZL1

Cash to a dealer is not as good as financing, they make more of a financed buyer than a cash buyer. If you are a cash buyer, don't tell the dealer until the finance guy, even then you can get your price down lower sometimes buy financing, then paying it off a month later, just read the fine print on the deal.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:27 AM   #49
OminouSS

Drives: Red Hot track candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompstl1 View Post
I agree with you in principle, but there are times when debt is the preferred alternative (for some anyway).

Debt for vehicles and homes could be two exceptions for the disciplined borrower. Assume my car loan is 3.8%, I should be able to make significantly more interest on invested cash wisely invested. Same with a home (2.8%), plus the interest is tax deductible on the home.

Anyways, something to think about!
The theory here is sound. Every percent made in investment interest, every dollar saved in purchase interest, every tax dollar saved in write offs. It all adds up on a purchase this large. The swing can be thousands of dollars in your pocket.

That said, I wrote a personal check for $69,000 and drove my car home. Guess I have a trustworthy face.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:26 PM   #50
le1999

Drives: 14' 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by OminouSS View Post
The theory here is sound. Every percent made in investment interest, every dollar saved in purchase interest, every tax dollar saved in write offs. It all adds up on a purchase this large. The swing can be thousands of dollars in your pocket.
Agreed OminouSS.....

All good comments/suggestions guys, much appreciated.

It was more a question of what is the smartest way of buying it, not how do you afford it. When making a purchase this large, I like to weigh the pros and cons of cash/vs. finance, or combination of, then trying to figure out a way to get points, cash back, etc while taking advantage of every available GM rebate, etc.

Again, thanks for all the replies.
le1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:00 PM   #51
Tara Martin
Loves Camaros

Drives: Red '79 Z28, '21 Red Hot M6 ZL-1!
In my case, I'm trading in my '16 1SS and laying down a good down payment. The remainder, I'll finance. I intend to pay off that loan fairly quickly. I'm mainly financing to maintain some credit history. I bought the '16 1SS outright last year and have title in hand for the trade in.

Tara

Tara Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:10 AM   #52
ruthe006

Drives: 2017 NGM ZL1 (on order)
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
They offered me 2.1% and hindsight I probably should have taken it. I just don't like to go anywhere but USAA.

I like your idea but wouldn't USAA jump to 2.99 for a used car? Still might work out in the math...

So just to make sure I understand, GM offered you below the 3.9 @ 60mo? So they can go lower if they choose?
ruthe006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:03 AM   #53
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
I asked Becky/Rodgers to find me the best rate possible with $20k down. I ended up with 1.89% for 60 months from Bank of America. I'll pay it in 48 months.

Becky/Rodgers was a true no BS buying experience. The purchase price discount under MSRP, trade value for my 13 ZL1 and financing were all spot on with no haggling.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:23 AM   #54
datboi448

Drives: 2013 2LT RS, 2017 ZL1
I really should show up with a dump truck full of pennies