Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-02-2017, 02:28 PM   #1
parkerjk628

Drives: 2015 Ashen Gray Metallic 2SS/RS
Livernois vs Lingenfelter

I could only find a thread from 2009 discussing this comparison, so thought I'd try to gain some more current opinions/experiences between the two companies.

Just became serious about having a supercharger installed in my 2015 2SS/RS. The two companies that make the most sense for me, in terms of location and reputation, are Livernois and Lingenfelter. Living in central Indiana, Livernois is about 4 hours away while Lingenfelter is only about 1.5 hours from me.

The guy I spoke with at Livernois says they could do a Whipple or Magnuson install/tune for about $9-10k, while Lingenfelter's price for a Magnuson is $11k (they don't have a Whipple package). These obviously come with all other part exchanges necessary to support the build. I was really hoping to come in closer to $8-9k for everything, but you usually get what you pay for! I want to maintain good driveability and reliability, which I've heard is one of Lingenfelter's strengths. So far, the bolt-on mods I have are a K&N Blackhawk CAI, Kooks 1-7/8" long-tube headers with Hi-Flow cats and a Borla S-Type cat-back exhaust.

Anyone have an opinion or experience with either of these companies? I can't decide who I should send my car to!!
parkerjk628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:51 PM   #2
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Well, since either the Maggie or the Whipple will run you @$7800 new anywhere, a price of $9-$10K isn't all that bad.....Even if you installed a new SC yourself, you'd still need to spring for the tune ($500-$600), and possibly a gauge or two.....
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:53 PM   #3
G701LE

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 IBM silver stipes
Ever considered a Pro Charger or AGP twins?

Mods = Not enough....
G701LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:49 PM   #4
parkerjk628

Quote:
Originally Posted by G701LE View Post
Ever considered a Pro Charger or AGP twins?
I did research the Pro Charger. It gets great reviews and solid gains.

The main reason I seem to be narrowing it down to Livernois and Lingenfelter are for reputation, warranty and future resale value. If one of those two companies installs their own product, the warranties are pretty good and it appears that with the name comes a better resale value in the future. If I went with a Pro Charger and had a local, smaller speed shop install it, I'm afraid the value wouldn't be there like it would be with Livernois or Lingenfelter.

If I'm spending $10k, I want (or at least hope) I'll get a certain cent on the dollar return in resale value with those big names attached to it.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:06 PM   #5
zz430camaro

Drives: 2015 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerjk628 View Post
I did research the Pro Charger. It gets great reviews and solid gains.

The main reason I seem to be narrowing it down to Livernois and Lingenfelter are for reputation, warranty and future resale value. If one of those two companies installs their own product, the warranties are pretty good and it appears that with the name comes a better resale value in the future. If I went with a Pro Charger and had a local, smaller speed shop install it, I'm afraid the value wouldn't be there like it would be with Livernois or Lingenfelter.

If I'm spending $10k, I want (or at least hope) I'll get a certain cent on the dollar return in resale value with those big names attached to it.
LINGENFELTER, If you ever sell the car it would have a better resale value if they did the work. Plus they are closer. Drivability will be like stock but with a lot more torque.
zz430camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:57 PM   #6
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
Both are great. I've seen a number of Lingenfelter cars tearing up the track albeit I can usually read their windshield letter banners in my rearview mirror. They're very good and the cars appeared to be set up right. Being close, 1-1/2hrs away, is a big bonus. My two-cents for you is Lingenfelter.

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:02 PM   #7
Unavowed

Drives: Twin turbo G8 GXP
LPE > Livernois. All day, everyday. I have a full LPE 417 build. Years later i tried to do business with Livernois. What a mistake. It was a blessing in disguise though as around that same time AGP modified their TT kit for the G8 market. I now have the best of both worlds, a AGP TT LPE 417.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:02 PM   #8
stratman2SSRS

Drives: Lingenfelter Camaro
I drove 8 hrs to get to Lingenfelter twice!
Did the supercharger the first time, then went back for cam, headers, and heads.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2017, 09:57 PM   #9
QUICRNU

Drives: Z06 wannabe
I would not expect a Huge return on investment for the supercharger install no matter where you have it done, although I agree, the Lingenfelter names helps vs. without it.

Have you compared what you are getting? Does 1 include a fuel system and the other doesn't? Do you feel you might get cammed 1 day?? might be easier in 1 swing...and cheaper.... and you can address fueling once..... I am just curious.

I spent a lot of time debating, and after seeing hundreds of threads that went back in later for cam.... I did em all at once. Just a thought... at 11k a few more g's wont hurt.

My .02, I prefer the Whipple over Maggie.

If you want bang for the buck, LSA. Max power is Whipple. *shrug*

Thumbs up on the PD blower either way, I get that smiling feeling without breaking the speed limit to get to it!

Budget some wider rims and good tires
Old 08-03-2017, 05:43 AM   #10
BiggFoot

Drives: 2010 Camaro (M6) 1000+ HP SBE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreksnot View Post
I've seen a number of Lingenfelter cars tearing up the track albeit I can usually read their windshield letter banners in my rearview mirror.
Kooks LT Headers and full 3" exhaust
Fore Triple Pump Fuel System with ID 1700X Injectors - E85 conversion

DSS 9” Conversion (1400 hp axles, driveshaft, pumpkin) & Strange 3.70 gears
McLeod RXT Twin HD Clutch & Upgraded Slave
RPM Level VII
TR6060
BMR Drag Suspension Package w/Strange shocks
Carlyle 15" and M/T ET Street R radials
10.1 @ 143 mph 1/4 mile

BiggFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:18 AM   #11
stratman2SSRS

Drives: Lingenfelter Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICRNU View Post
I would not expect a Huge return on investment for the supercharger install no matter where you have it done, although I agree, the Lingenfelter names helps vs. without it.

Have you compared what you are getting? Does 1 include a fuel system and the other doesn't? Do you feel you might get cammed 1 day?? might be easier in 1 swing...and cheaper.... and you can address fueling once..... I am just curious.

I spent a lot of time debating, and after seeing hundreds of threads that went back in later for cam.... I did em all at once. Just a thought... at 11k a few more g's wont hurt.

My .02, I prefer the Whipple over Maggie.

If you want bang for the buck, LSA. Max power is Whipple. *shrug*

Thumbs up on the PD blower either way, I get that smiling feeling without breaking the speed limit to get to it!

Budget some wider rims and good tires

He's right about getting the cam while you are there. Wish I had done that the first time. It would have saved me alot of money up front.
And absolutly right about the wider wheels, and stickier tires.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:58 AM   #12
jeff657756

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE
I would see what that $10k includes. Do cam and fuel system while you have it there. As much bad as I have heard about Livernois, i wouldnt take my car there. But thats me.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:59 AM   #13
Dega Man

Drives: ZL1
I've used Livernois on 4 cars 3 ZL1's 1 Mustang and also purchased an engine from them for another car as well. They all have been extremely reliable, beat on and superfast. They have run the e.t. numbers to match the dyno horsepower numbers. Just been great guys to work with 100% satisfaction for me and haven't had any issues with anything from them. Will continue to travel the distance to Livernois.
Dega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:25 AM   #14
parkerjk628

Thanks everyone for your input and experiences! It seems to me that Lingenfelter remains the most recommended option, and it does help that they're located less than two hours away.

I plan to find out soon what each package includes, costs, etc. by getting written quotes from each place. I'll also have them price out a cam so I know how much that will add. Going into it, I wanted to have a good idea which company might be "worth" paying a little extra to have do the work.

When you're looking to possibly spend half the current value of the car on mods, you want to make sure you send it to the right place!