Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-28-2012, 12:04 AM   #365
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabolica View Post
Anyone running the 2-piece rotors? I read the 2-piece CTS-V rotors were designed to be quiet so I'm assuming 2-piece rotors can make some kind of noise.

I'm asking because I got mind installed today and I'm getting a strange, almost dull sounding clicking under moderate braking. I won't be able to pull the wheels off until tomorrow, but looking through the wheels everything looks and feels fine. That is, I see no signs of rubbing or scraping and everything appear to be tight & secure.

Could this just be the 2-piece rotors?
Quote:
I don't know what the ZL1 comes with. I have these:

Apparently these use "patented anti-rattle floating hardware". What I'm hearing doesn't sound like rattle...
1. Do you still have the noise?
2. When did it start?
3. Who did the installation?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #366
Parabolica
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS
The noise is still there but I haven't done anything to try and correct it and have only put ~75, mostly highway miles on it with the new rotors/calipers. It only happens during moderately hard braking.

I think it's going to end up being the rear rotors. I only have 14K miles on them and didn't think of (or had the time) to turn them. I can feel a slight ridge on one of them and I'm going to turn them this weekend and see if that does it...

It started during the bed-in procedure, and I did the installation.

BTW, my mountain bike makes this same noise with drilled rotors...
Parabolica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #367
JusticePete

Quote:
The noise is still there but I haven't done anything to try and correct it and have only put ~75, mostly highway miles on it with the new rotors/calipers. It only happens during moderately hard braking.

I think it's going to end up being the rear rotors. I only have 14K miles on them and didn't think of (or had the time) to turn them. I can feel a slight ridge on one of them and I'm going to turn them this weekend and see if that does it...

It started during the bed-in procedure, and I did the installation.

BTW, my mountain bike makes this same noise with drilled rotors...
Are your new rotors slotted or drilled?
Old 06-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #368
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
Pete, i have made it thru the first 8 pages of this thread but need to go instruct a sim now and will finish up later. One thing comes to mind since page 8 was back in Aug 2010. Is this still a great upgrade? and the best bang for the buck with the correct pads? My wallet is kind of hurting due to this monstor motor that is being completed. The fuel system alone cost what my ZZ4 crate motor in my pick up cost:(

I was thinking while we are adding the ZL1 rear bar and other goodies i might as well go with the front CTS-V upgrade with carbotech or other pads as well as the complete flush etc. Can Heath handle this as well, i.e he has the correct scan tool for the ABS. Thinking of a race fluid as well. Is the SRF still the stuff to have?

As always thanks for your support here!
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #369
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullF-16 View Post
Pete, i have made it thru the first 8 pages of this thread but need to go instruct a sim now and will finish up later. One thing comes to mind since page 8 was back in Aug 2010. Is this still a great upgrade? and the best bang for the buck with the correct pads? My wallet is kind of hurting due to this monstor motor that is being completed. The fuel system alone cost what my ZZ4 crate motor in my pick up cost:(

I was thinking while we are adding the ZL1 rear bar and other goodies i might as well go with the front CTS-V upgrade with carbotech or other pads as well as the complete flush etc. Can Heath handle this as well, i.e he has the correct scan tool for the ABS. Thinking of a race fluid as well. Is the SRF still the stuff to have?

As always thanks for your support here!
A large part of my time is spent hurting wallets

There is no better value than the CTS-V calipers with the ZL1 rotors. The Carbotechs or the Hawks will be good. SRF is the gold standard for brake fluid. On the L/28 build we were supplied a fluid that was supposed to be as good as SRF. Danny boiled it in 3 laps. SRF should already be in the L/28.

The sky is blue.
Water is wet.
SRF is the ONLY brake fluid to use for a car that sees track time.

I feel the need for real speed. Got a spare jet we could borrow?
Old 06-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #370
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
A large part of my time is spent hurting wallets

There is no better value than the CTS-V calipers with the ZL1 rotors. The Carbotechs or the Hawks will be good. SRF is the gold standard for brake fluid. On the L/28 build we were supplied a fluid that was supposed to be as good as SRF. Danny boiled it in 3 laps. SRF should already be in the L/28.

The sky is blue.
Water is wet.
SRF is the ONLY brake fluid to use for a car that sees track time.

I feel the need for real speed. Got a spare jet we could borrow?
So Heath the company can handle the full flush to include the ABS/scan tool dilemma? Or better yet your Pedders/Brembo upgrade you mentioned in another thread (want to know more).

As for the jet you can borrow....sure, got a whole ramp full. Good luck with that.....over zealous 18year olds with M-4 carbines and all
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:12 PM   #371
Parabolica
Account Suspended

Quote:
Are your new rotors slotted or drilled?
No, same as in the picture. I always thought the same noise I heard on the MTB was because of the drilled rotors...

I'll report back after turning the rears.

Edit: And for the record, I used the stock cal pier bolts up front. There was plenty of thread, and the calipers are definitely tight. I got the same info as previously posted: the stock part# and the CTS-V #'s were the same...
Old 06-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #372
JusticePete

Quote:
So Heath the company can handle the full flush to include the ABS/scan tool dilemma?
Yes sir he can.

Quote:
As for the jet you can borrow....sure, got a whole ramp full. Good luck with that.....over zealous 18year olds with M-4 carbines and all
There must be some that drive late model muscle

Quote:
No, same as in the picture. I always thought the same noise I heard on the MTB was because of the drilled rotors...

I'll report back after turning the rears.

Edit: And for the record, I used the stock cal pier bolts up front. There was plenty of thread, and the calipers are definitely tight. I got the same info as previously posted: the stock part# and the CTS-V #'s were the same...
1. Double check the installation from bolts to clips. I am sure you have it all done correctly, but we'll double check any way.

2. Slots and holes can and do create noises or chatter.

3. What bedding procedure did you use?

4. Finally, check you E brake cable and the inner barrels of your rear wheels. It could have been displaced when you were doing other brake work.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #373
Parabolica
Account Suspended

Pete,

I was pretty confident everything was done correctly except for not turning the rear rotors with the new pads.

Turning the rear rotors did the trick...

Thanks.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #374
JusticePete

Quote:
Pete,

I was pretty confident everything was done correctly except for not turning the rear rotors with the new pads.

Turning the rear rotors did the trick...

Thanks.
Good news! And how are the brakes?
Old 07-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #375
Parabolica
Account Suspended

Quote:
Good news! And how are the brakes?
Old 07-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #376
matthewo

Drives: pontiac g8
i just signed up to post a comment about the cts-v brakes.

hi guys, i have a pontiac g8 and did the 6 piston cts-v swap. the rear required a bracket and parking brake shoes for the g8 so i havent done that yet.

here is a picture of the front, as you can see the caliper is kinda crooked just like yours, but the pad seems to line up almost perfectly, much better then the camaro seems to.

anyways. as you can guess this is a huge upgrade in performance as far as the g8 goes with a 12.5" rotors up front and 2 piston fixed calipers up front. going from a total of 6 pistons on the car to 20, with the complete cts-v front and rear upgrade... and the g8 is 4000lbs...

here are a few other pictures...

matthewo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:07 AM   #377
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewo View Post
i just signed up to post a comment about the cts-v brakes.

hi guys, i have a pontiac g8 and did the 6 piston cts-v swap. the rear required a bracket and parking brake shoes for the g8 so i havent done that yet.

here is a picture of the front, as you can see the caliper is kinda crooked just like yours, but the pad seems to line up almost perfectly, much better then the camaro seems to.

anyways. as you can guess this is a huge upgrade in performance as far as the g8 goes with a 12.5" rotors up front and 2 piston fixed calipers up front. going from a total of 6 pistons on the car to 20, with the complete cts-v front and rear upgrade... and the g8 is 4000lbs...

here are a few other pictures...

Looks great. Where did you get them from and what did you pay?

On any G8 boards? I am on a few.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:39 AM   #378
matthewo

Drives: pontiac g8
Yes im on both g8board and grrrr8. I picked up 2 sets locally. From two totalled low milage ctsv. Im probably going to be selling the other set
matthewo is offline   Reply With Quote