Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2023, 01:07 AM   #15
Vaddy
 
Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LS 2015
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 35
Now that this journey is almost coming to an end and have everything done, I have uploaded a youtube video kinda summarizing everything, I will go into much more detail down to the last bolt that I removed a bit later but hoping the V6 community will see this and there being more turbo V6s out there in the road. If this video gets enough traction, there can be a official turbo kit in the future for these engines

https://youtu.be/fJTgZkw7hQc

Also a thing to mention, if you don't remove the oil pan to drill and tap. Make sure to remove the oil drain line and clean the metal shards with your fingers that might be on the wall or the floor of the oil pan and get a tube and pour mineral spirits down there. I cant stress that enough, once you a take a turn, the oil will catch those shards and get sucked up
Vaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 02:02 AM   #16
Vaddy
 
Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LS 2015
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 35
Heres a summary of how much and everything that I got to make this project possible.

Turbo Kit($3,773)[Intercooler,BOV,Wastegate,Vacuum Reference, Heat Shielding]: https://huronspeed.com/product/cam5t4/
MAF Extension($50): https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/pr...oducts_id/3432
Drill and Tap($11): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MG92FX1...t_details&th=1
Grease($18): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NL7V11R...roduct_details
10-AN 90 Degree($13): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0752LBRVV...t_details&th=1
4-AN 90 Degree($10): https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performa...10891/10002/-1
1/4 Drill(~$40) + Battery
Step Drill($14): https://www.harborfreight.com/power-...lls-91616.html
Oil Passage Block($200): https://www.keislerautomation.com/un...-passage-block
Oil Filter($4): https://www.walmart.com/ip/ACDelco-P...943239&veh=sem
Overflow Tank($20): https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...3-001/17191312
CatchCan Setup($384)
Vacuum Pump($120): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SZ4QFW0...roduct_details
Intake Coupler(~$20)
Power Steering Pulley($20): https://www.autozone.com/suspension-...7360&gclsrc=ds
Power Steering(~$100): https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ring+pump,7380
Pulley Installer/Remover($35): https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-a...ce=c&gclsrc=ds
Mineral Spirits($9): https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-St...5379&gclsrc=ds
O2 Extenders(~$100)[Front and Rear, Contact gen5diy1@gmail.com]
Tune (Depends but mine is $650)
3D Printed Headers(Depends if the chinese company deliver promised metal piece $600)

Total: ~$6,000

Which is actually cheaper than the procharger by $1000, so that is a win

Last edited by Vaddy; 01-23-2023 at 02:41 AM.
Vaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 06:06 AM   #17
co14camaro
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 66
Great job so far! I've done a few from scratch turbo builds so I know what your going through. I've got a couple of recommendations. First, get that drain fitting welded to the pan if possible. Trust me, it will leak no matter how sealed you think it is.
I'm glad your redesigning that downpipe because that 90 degree turn would cause a hell of a lot of backpressure and would've made tuning a nightmare! Your EGTs would be through the roof and likely melt some pistons. On the topic of tuning, in now way will you be able to run E85 with the stock fuel injectors and in tank pump. I don't think even the stock high pressure pump will do enough, so look into upgrading those pieces. You should be able to get parts for a 14 ATS-V to bolt onto your engine.
Also I highly recommend EGT and Wideband O2 sensor on each bank. You'd be amazed at how different each bank can run. If EGTs (Exhaust Gas Temp) get too high parts start melting real quick. Oh and you will need a larger capacity MAP sensor and a competent tuner familiar with HP Tuners and tuning a dual VVT engine. That 650 you quote for a tune won't cover it. Figure spending a day on a loaded dyno and good tuner to be around 1500 to 2k. He's got to tune everything from a cold start on E85 to every throttle position in between idle and full throttle. The stock PCM will constantly try to reach an AFR of 14.7:1 under light throttle/cruising. Unfortunately even cruising you can hit positive pressure, and an AFR of 14.7:1 with a high compression motor and positive pressure can equal BOOM!
Great find on that oil filter adapter. I initially tried one from v8roadsters but it used AN fittings and they hit the AC compressor. This new design eliminates that problem! I highly recommend getting a spin on oil cooler kit. These engines run hot and introducing hot turbo oil will make it even worse! Get that oil as cool as possible if you want your engine to live lol.
co14camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 10:26 AM   #18
Vaddy
 
Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LS 2015
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by co14camaro View Post
Great job so far! I've done a few from scratch turbo builds so I know what your going through. I've got a couple of recommendations. First, get that drain fitting welded to the pan if possible. Trust me, it will leak no matter how sealed you think it is.
I'm glad your redesigning that downpipe because that 90 degree turn would cause a hell of a lot of backpressure and would've made tuning a nightmare! Your EGTs would be through the roof and likely melt some pistons. On the topic of tuning, in now way will you be able to run E85 with the stock fuel injectors and in tank pump. I don't think even the stock high pressure pump will do enough, so look into upgrading those pieces. You should be able to get parts for a 14 ATS-V to bolt onto your engine.
Also I highly recommend EGT and Wideband O2 sensor on each bank. You'd be amazed at how different each bank can run. If EGTs (Exhaust Gas Temp) get too high parts start melting real quick. Oh and you will need a larger capacity MAP sensor and a competent tuner familiar with HP Tuners and tuning a dual VVT engine. That 650 you quote for a tune won't cover it. Figure spending a day on a loaded dyno and good tuner to be around 1500 to 2k. He's got to tune everything from a cold start on E85 to every throttle position in between idle and full throttle. The stock PCM will constantly try to reach an AFR of 14.7:1 under light throttle/cruising. Unfortunately even cruising you can hit positive pressure, and an AFR of 14.7:1 with a high compression motor and positive pressure can equal BOOM!
Great find on that oil filter adapter. I initially tried one from v8roadsters but it used AN fittings and they hit the AC compressor. This new design eliminates that problem! I highly recommend getting a spin on oil cooler kit. These engines run hot and introducing hot turbo oil will make it even worse! Get that oil as cool as possible if you want your engine to live lol.
Appreciate it brother! And, thank you for the suggestions. I will go to a muffler shop after I get the car running to get that drain welded. Yea I knew that 90 degree turn would create so much problems, glad I switched it up, that would have been bad. As for the Fueling system, I've definitely wanted to upgrade all of that, and even considering the car is now 80k miles, I want to replace all of that. And for the wideband o2 sensors, I was wondering where I could get those or what I would have to do, I was researching them the other day but can't find much with this car obviously. And the MAP sensor I already know about, the zl1 map sensor is 3 bar better than the 1 bar this car has. I am only going to be running 5psi so I'm not looking to upgrade the MAP sensor rn, but definitely will. Man, I wish I could get someone like that to tune this car but no one near me knows how to tune this car, maybe tracy lewis could help me out, he's 3 hours away. And the oil cooler, imma need that for sure. Thanks for your wisdom man!
Vaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 11:01 AM   #19
co14camaro
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 66
Muffler shop won't be able to weld that fitting on the pan. Its Aluminum and requires a TIG welder and unless its a high end shop they won't have one lol.

Tracy would definitely be able to tune the car for you but figure at least double that 650 for tuning. Oh and I don't know if you have a manual tranny, but if you do the stock clutch will give up the ghost pretty quick. If its an auto you'll be fine but you would benefit from a transmission tune as well. Once you add things up 7k for a base procharger kit that includes the tune ain't so bad is it?
co14camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 11:09 AM   #20
Vaddy
 
Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LS 2015
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by co14camaro View Post
Muffler shop won't be able to weld that fitting on the pan. Its Aluminum and requires a TIG welder and unless its a high end shop they won't have one lol.

Tracy would definitely be able to tune the car for you but figure at least double that 650 for tuning. Oh and I don't know if you have a manual tranny, but if you do the stock clutch will give up the ghost pretty quick. If its an auto you'll be fine but you would benefit from a transmission tune as well. Once you add things up 7k for a base procharger kit that includes the tune ain't so bad is it?
There's alot of reasons why I wanted to go turbo other than the price, even so stage 2 is around 8k so take that lol. I'll go to Tracy instead then
Vaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 09:07 PM   #21
Vaddy
 
Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LS 2015
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 35
Update: I am still learning how to go on about Metal 3D printing but the header as a whole is too big especially the passenger side to be 3D printed in Aluminium or Stainless Steel. So I am separating parts of it to be welded, and being able to get it printed in Stainless Steel. Bad news is that it is around 2k to print both sides, 1k each. If you really wanted to save money, you can print it in Aluminium and the price would be half of that but beware that they will probably melt. I will share the files as soon as they arrive and fit.

Last edited by Vaddy; 01-30-2023 at 11:49 PM.
Vaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 10:12 AM   #22
xlmusicp
LTCamaro
 
xlmusicp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT / 2014 C7 M7 3LT
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 33
@Vaddy

Join this group and start a thread on your turbo build
https://gmv6performance.com/

New site dedicated for the V6 platform ONLY
__________________
2010 Camaro 1LT
IG @LTCamaro
Widebody, Built/Forged Engine, Cammed, Supercharged, Stalled,....etc

xlmusicp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 01:41 PM   #23
Vaddy
 
Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LS 2015
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 35
Aluminum came in and fit perfectly! The stainless steel one is coming in Monday, you can technically print both in aluminum and save yourself 2k and drive long enough to get someone to fabricate it in stainless steel or just pay the 2k to get it in Steel. I will post a video on how I did everything once the second one comes in. Also the down pipe no longer hits the steering rack

Name:  019E0A81-50A4-4898-A771-8F9A14C5EB60.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  168.5 KB
Vaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 10:03 PM   #24
Vaddy
 
Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LS 2015
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 35
Iíve forgotten about this tread but the build is complete and successful. I have been having fun with it and will increase the power to try to beat that 1/4 mile time. I know the one big issue with this engine is it goes pretty lean, but most of us over by the Facebook group are figuring out ways to combat this, one has added a dual pump already and when I decide to build the engine I will figure out the LF4 HPFP. For those wanting to turbo charge their car like mine. Donít worry Huron Speed toke the challenge to make us a kit, I just gotta create a downpipe for them to allow AC and 6th gen V6s are getting a kit too. Thanks for everyone following this journey of mine.

Name:  DB635351-423E-4EFB-9857-D5DD12EDF4C0.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  180.1 KB
Name:  884B0AA4-5912-44F3-A135-D55AD903B20E.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  258.2 KB
Vaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 05:27 AM   #25
KillboyPowerhead

 
Drives: 2015 Z/22
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 900
Nice. Did you end up trying to 3D print an intake manifold? What size throttle body did you end up going with?
__________________
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 12:54 PM   #26
Vaddy
 
Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LS 2015
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
Nice. Did you end up trying to 3D print an intake manifold? What size throttle body did you end up going with?
Havenít 3D printed the manifold yet, probably by next month I will be able to and 80mm all the way, I might do testing of my own and increase it to like 90 or even a 100mm TB to see if thereís any gains.

Name:  2A2FD360-8BA6-47A1-8C66-562F520BEB45.jpeg
Views: 34
Size:  89.5 KB
Vaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.