Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-01-2020, 11:46 PM   #1
Need$f/parts

Drives: 2011 Camaro II SS Supercharged
New Owner/dumbfounded by vibration

Hey guys and gals, I purchased my first camaro, it’s a 2011 SS 6 speed. It’s had a lot of work done to it which I’ll list:

Supercharged
1 piece aluminum driveshaft
3.90 gears
SLP axels
Eibach lowering springs (not sure how much)

My problem is I have a high speed vibration. If it is vibrating at a lower speed then it’s difficult to feel. The vibration is most noticeable at about 80 MPH. I don’t feel it Im the transmission when I hold my hand on the shifter. It’s not a long vibration it’s rather short I’m frequency and once it comes in, it doesn’t go away. If I go fast enough then the traction control and ABS lights start to light up, when I slow down they go away. It definitely seems speed dependent. I know the previous owner just did pads and rotors?

I put the car on the rack and rebalanced all 4 tires and put a wrench on ever suspension bolt I could find, the differential cradle bolt was a little loose but not horrible and it didn’t help. I’m really don’t know where to start.

I’m thinking maybe a wheel hub? Possibly the driveshaft binding because of lowering the car and improper length? Or something in the rear differential?

-Mike
Need$f/parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 02:27 AM   #2
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
See if this helps.
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504767

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518905

Warning Lights
Can you scan for codes? I’m betting wheel speed sensor
Maybe loose connection, damaged sensor/ring from axles / brake work.
3.9 gear tune
tires with different rolling diameter
Wheel bearing - unload tire and check for excessive wobble

Vibration
Start with the checks described in the link provided.

Last edited by Southern Comfort; 11-02-2020 at 03:21 AM.
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:49 AM   #3
wasthatacop?

Drives: 2010 2SS
I was thinking a bent rim, but rebalancing the wheels would have helped. Maybe all your torque slightly bent something in the power train?
ZL1 factory rims
misc: drilled and slotted rotors, fresh air brake cooling system, new speakers, installed reverse camera, muffler delete
wasthatacop? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:51 AM   #4
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Start with all the basics as said above, but if this was my car I would always be suspicious of that driveshaft. Not that there is anything wrong with an aluminum 1 piece, just that it's been touched.

Get that car back up in the air and check those wheel bearings. This way you can cross that one off the list.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:57 AM   #5
Redbeard11

Drives: 11 camaro
My 2011 did exact same thing, aluminum driveshaft from DSS. Faster I went, worse it got. Had a steel driveshaft made locally and it went away. Try reclocking the driveshaft bolts that go to the spacer plate that hooks to differential. Should 4 bolts to a 3 bolt plate. By reclocking the plate, driveshaft, and differential is an attempt to line up and eliminate the vibration, according to DSS.
2011 1SS/ Thompson mtrsprts 416,Katech rotate assembly and cnc ls3 heads. Ferrera st. valves,BTR 685 Spr. F1A Procharger,3.70 pulley on 12 rib.Holley aux fuel pump,ZL1 fp and fpcm,dual alky control,Vmax TB,DSX E-85 sensor, fic1300 inj.Lsxperts custom cam,melling OP,mishimoto dual pass HX, ARH 2" headers, MD 4l80e, FTI 3200 stall,3:73 zl1 cradle, BC coil overs ,pfadt sway bars, EBC brakes and slotted rotors: 843rwhp tuned by LSXPERTS
Redbeard11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 11:40 AM   #6
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Start with all the basics as said above, but if this was my car I would always be suspicious of that driveshaft. Not that there is anything wrong with an aluminum 1 piece, just that it's been touched.

Get that car back up in the air and check those wheel bearings. This way you can cross that one off the list.
That’s exactly what I was thinking too.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:13 AM   #7
Need$f/parts

Update: I clocked the driveshaft, no change. I mounted a GoPro and video’d all four wheels. The vibration is in the rear but I can’t see any abnormal vibration in the driveshaft when viewing the video. I noticed the car has BMR cradle bushings and tow/tie bars on it. Stock differential bushings. I have not had the chance to go recheck the balance on the tires and check to see it a wheel is bent, I’ll get to that this weekend.

With it being lowered, could the pinion angle be off?
Struts are pretty old, could that be a culprit?
Old 11-12-2020, 02:07 PM   #8
fz4k98

Drives: 2013 1ss
I had a similar issue which came down to 2 things. The tire run out was excessive as the tires rotated on the wheels with the inner bead rotating more than the outer.

The other was the front bolts for the 1 piece driveshaft were not tight enough and it rotated enough to thread the holes for the bolts.

New tires and new driveshaft and vibration just about gone. Mine was speed dependant above 70 mph.
fz4k98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 02:08 PM   #9
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
I am lowered and don't have an issue but I also installed eccentric diff bushings. I'll bet its either the DS or axles, I've heard they often cause problems. It was recommended to me to actually stay with stock driveshaft and axles to avoid said problems by Jannetty racing.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 06:18 PM   #10
Need$f/parts

Fz4k98, what is tire runout? I’m not familiar.
Old 11-13-2020, 06:59 PM   #11
fz4k98

Drives: 2013 1ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need$f/parts View Post
Fz4k98, what is tire runout? I’m not familiar.
It is a measurement to use to see if the tire is out of round. An out of round tire will start moving up and down and create vibration if excessive.

I had the inner side tire bead rotate more than the outer. This created the out of round. Its kind of like taking something round like a hose etc and twisting it. It creates peaks and valleys around it's circumference.
fz4k98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:29 PM   #12
Shan

Drives: 2013 ls Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need$f/parts View Post
Hey guys and gals, I purchased my first camaro, it’s a 2011 SS 6 speed. It’s had a lot of work done to it which I’ll list:

Supercharged
1 piece aluminum driveshaft
3.90 gears
SLP axels
Eibach lowering springs (not sure how much)

My problem is I have a high speed vibration. If it is vibrating at a lower speed then it’s difficult to feel. The vibration is most noticeable at about 80 MPH. I don’t feel it Im the transmission when I hold my hand on the shifter. It’s not a long vibration it’s rather short I’m frequency and once it comes in, it doesn’t go away. If I go fast enough then the traction control and ABS lights start to light up, when I slow down they go away. It definitely seems speed dependent. I know the previous owner just did pads and rotors?

I put the car on the rack and rebalanced all 4 tires and put a wrench on ever suspension bolt I could find, the differential cradle bolt was a little loose but not horrible and it didn’t help. I’m really don’t know where to start.

I’m thinking maybe a wheel hub? Possibly the driveshaft binding because of lowering the car and improper length? Or something in the rear differential?

-Mike

I had that same problem come to find out that the tires needed rotating & balanced
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 05:46 PM   #13
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
People install new driveshafts and ignore the requirement to replace all the single use bolts.

Replace the bolts and torque to spec. Come to think of it, replace the rubber guibos as well.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 07:44 PM   #14
oldman14ss

Drives: 2014 1ss camaro
yes I too think its the drive shaft check pinion angle. Ive heard different things about the one piece drive shaft. understanding why is above my pay grade. I had a 4th gen that the drive shaft caused me fits.
oldman14ss is offline   Reply With Quote