Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 12-13-2011, 11:28 PM   #15
midlife

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
I have a black Camaro & the finish is a priority as it will scratch easily, if not washed & dried properly.

After a good washing with a grit guard bucket. I first very gently gel blade the cars surface. After each stroke & wipe the blade with a micro fiber tower. The blade will remove 90% of the water. Next I prefer the waffle towels. I use about three of the larger ones per washing. When using these towels I also spry the panel with Spray Detail. Once done the car gets the final wipe with micro fiber towels & additional spray detail. Works well.

Lastly I recently tried the waterless car wash by Adams. It is fast & safe and a very mildly dirty car.

In addition once done I inspect the car if I see a scratch or two, I will spot polish the area with their 4” pad on a drill; this is a very safe unit on your finish. Unusually Adams Machine Polish will get most out, if not and go to their swirl remover. Once done a quick coat of Brilliant glaze and show time……
Attached Images

midlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:43 PM   #16
The Shadoww
Black on Black on Black

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LS
Send a message via Skype™ to The Shadoww
Is there like a squiege that oyu can use to help get majority of the water off before drying so that i don't go through like 30 towels a wash?
Old 12-14-2011, 12:56 AM   #17
cactuseater

Drives: .
I cheat -- got a large cap air compressor and I blow it off, then old school chamois. No problem. Unfortunately, I have the black too --- hard as heck to take care of, but beautiful when it's flawless.
cactuseater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:20 AM   #18
Weezerj

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS -- 02 Escalade
leaf blower FTW
Weezerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:30 AM   #19
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
I use a leaf blower when I'm feeling fancy.
When I'm lazy I'll use sheeting + a brand new microfiber from Adam's.

I like to wash at night so the leaf blower is not always the best option for me at least.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:09 PM   #20
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black On Black On Black View Post
Is there like a squiege that oyu can use to help get majority of the water off before drying so that i don't go through like 30 towels a wash?
I'll be honest, I can dry my car using only one Adam's Waterless Wash Microfiber Towel. Using the sheeting method, followed by the leafblower really gets a lot of water off of the car.

It also helps if you have a good coat of wax to help with water beading. Then the water really slides off.

I haven't personally used one of those squeegee, drying things. I just wonder how much stuff is floating in the air and it happens to land on my car. One pass of the squeegee and it could scratch!
Old 12-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #21
chalkupanother1

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT RS
If you're car is properly sealed and/or waxed, the sheeting method will remove almost all the water. Then, simply "dab" the water off if you don't have a leaf blower (or like me, don't want my neighbors to think I'm nuts!) instead of dragging a MF over your paint.

Do NOT use a chamois...if any bit of dirt of debris gets picked up, it does NOT come out when you wring it. Trust me...I've scatched the hell out of my Charger that way! But, it all can be fixed!! 4 years of bad car washing was fixed below...

Perfect recipe for my black cars
I have a 2007 brilliant black Charger RT, and a black 2011 Camaro RS. I've read many hours of info on here, and auto detailing forums. Here's what I just did to my Charger last weekend.

Since it was heavily swirled, I had to do a full paint correction on it. I purchased the Porter Cable 7424xp, and dove in head first on my 1st attempt using a DA buffer. I did a wash, clay, wash, and IPA wipedown to get rid of all contaminents and old wax and sealant. I started with Meguiars 105 polish, with 5'5 inch orange Lake Country pads. This got rid of all the swirls, but left a little haze. I then followed that with some Menzerna 106FF polish, on white LC pads, which left the paint like a mirror. I applied Chemical Guys Ez creme glaze, which made the car smooth as possible, while removing the oils left over from the polish. This left a perfect base for 2 coats of Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant. Sexy...wet...metal.

I followed this same formula with my Camaro (minus the polishing) when I got it new in June. My Camaro still looks fantastic 6 months later. My plan is to do a light polish on it in the spring, using only the Menzerna polishes, since both cars won't ever see a "car wash" again! Now I understand there's all kind of products out there, so not knocking the Adam's fans, but I couldn't see how anything could work better than this.

Bottomline...my Charger didn't look this good brand new. You GOT to machine polish to get results like this...and it's time consuming (18 hours work on Charger). Now I know how you see some cars "clean" and some that really shine.

No sun pics but you can see the results...
Attached Images

chalkupanother1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:07 PM   #22
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalkupanother1 View Post
If you're car is properly sealed and/or waxed, the sheeting method will remove almost all the water. Then, simply "dab" the water off if you don't have a leaf blower (or like me, don't want my neighbors to think I'm nuts!) instead of dragging a MF over your paint.

Do NOT use a chamois...if any bit of dirt of debris gets picked up, it does NOT come out when you wring it. Trust me...I've scatched the hell out of my Charger that way! But, it all can be fixed!! 4 years of bad car washing was fixed below...

Perfect recipe for my black cars
I have a 2007 brilliant black Charger RT, and a black 2011 Camaro RS. I've read many hours of info on here, and auto detailing forums. Here's what I just did to my Charger last weekend.

Since it was heavily swirled, I had to do a full paint correction on it. I purchased the Porter Cable 7424xp, and dove in head first on my 1st attempt using a DA buffer. I did a wash, clay, wash, and IPA wipedown to get rid of all contaminents and old wax and sealant. I started with Meguiars 105 polish, with 5'5 inch orange Lake Country pads. This got rid of all the swirls, but left a little haze. I then followed that with some Menzerna 106FF polish, on white LC pads, which left the paint like a mirror. I applied Chemical Guys Ez creme glaze, which made the car smooth as possible, while removing the oils left over from the polish. This left a perfect base for 2 coats of Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant. Sexy...wet...metal.

I followed this same formula with my Camaro (minus the polishing) when I got it new in June. My Camaro still looks fantastic 6 months later. My plan is to do a light polish on it in the spring, using only the Menzerna polishes, since both cars won't ever see a "car wash" again! Now I understand there's all kind of products out there, so not knocking the Adam's fans, but I couldn't see how anything could work better than this.

Bottomline...my Charger didn't look this good brand new. You GOT to machine polish to get results like this...and it's time consuming (18 hours work on Charger). Now I know how you see some cars "clean" and some that really shine.

No sun pics but you can see the results...
Attached Images

So true! A black car is a labor of love, no pain no gain!
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:18 PM   #23
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
i purchased one of the cycle dry blowers off ebay for $30.00,it does a great job.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:55 PM   #24
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
100% made in the USA cotton towels for me. I have been doing the sheeting method since 96 when I had my Z28. Zaino and sheet rinsing = almost not having to dry at all.
Retired Navy... A Husband. A Dad. A Veteran as of 2011. 2010 2SS/RS A6 - FlowMaster CatBack - I'm not a Amsoil dealer and will never be one. I believe in its capabilities from personal use with oil analysis reports backing up my OCI's. Besides, I know more than most cut and paste Amsoil dealers which are at least 95% of them.
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:09 PM   #25
badkarma

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS Camaro
Leaf blower and my neighbors think I'm crazy.
badkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:32 PM   #26
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by badkarma View Post
Leaf blower and my neighbors think I'm crazy.
I get a few that look at me sideways as well. For those that stop and ask why I use one, I ask them what happens when they pull out of the touchless car washes? You can almost see the light bulb go on over their head.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:27 PM   #27
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpomeroy View Post
I get a few that look at me sideways as well. For those that stop and ask why I use one, I ask them what happens when they pull out of the touchless car washes? You can almost see the light bulb go on over their head.
I thought you were gonna say that you point the leaf blower in their face with it on full blast
Old 12-16-2011, 07:24 AM   #28
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
I thought you were gonna say that you point the leaf blower in their face with it on full blast
Well ok, the one neighbor, but nobody likes him and he was complaining when I did it. Shut him right up.