Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 07-23-2009, 09:31 PM   #43
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I'm going to try to summarize and ask some more questions. Correct me if I'm incorrect.
• E85 tuning voids your warranty. We already knew this, but I'd hate to overlook this point if I were a newbie reading this thread.
• E85 has a negative impact on rubber. This brings about the concern of exactly what individual parts must be updated and what company can provide replacements.
• E85 is inconsistent. It may contain up to 85% ethanol, but that also means that it can have less than 85% ethanol, meaning that every gas tank could have different, unpredictable performance numbers without a sensor to detect the percentage. How do you circumnavigate this?
• Seeing as how your E85 tune matches performance numbers for a 93 tune, why did you do it? This is more a question of my own curiosity than of performance.
• What tuning software and dynos did you use? How much experience do you have with such tuning?
• How different is performance tuning for E85 than for pump gas?
• Do you plan on applying forced induction?
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:41 PM   #44
E85LSX

Drives: 2010 Camaro
thanks speedy,

I actually tuned my car in on gas first, I have AHR headers into stock mufflers. Tuned it MAF only using hp tuners, got the MAF transfer dialed in then switched to e85. Since my MAF transfer is dead on determining the stoich value for my e85 fuel blend is easy, just change it till my trims were 0 again. I am running out of injector right now but i am also running too rich, around 11.2:1. Im at 95% duty cycle at 5500 rpm then I let out of it. After leaning it out to 13:1 I should have enough injector to redline.

are you tuning with hp tuners? in the tune where ever there was dual tables for gas vs alcohol I copy and pasted the alcohol table into the gas. . .assuming they did the work already to get these tables why not use them, and its running great so far.

I am also looking into increasing the fuel delivery now as I plan on doing many more mods. I'm hoping I can wire in a BAP before the FPCM but i'm not sure if this will work.Do you have any plans for the fuel system?
E85LSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:08 AM   #45
speedy6963
E85-oholic

Drives: Victory Red 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I'm going to try to summarize and ask some more questions. Correct me if I'm incorrect.
Quote:
• E85 tuning voids your warranty. We already knew this, but I'd hate to overlook this point if I were a newbie reading this thread.
Correct, using E85 or doing any kind of tuning will void warranty and possibly make the car unsafe.

Quote:
• E85 has a negative impact on rubber. This brings about the concern of exactly what individual parts must be updated and what company can provide replacements.
Most cars made since the 1990's will tolerate E85 without failure ( personal experience ) they are designed to handle 10-20% ethanol, with that said, the camaro is an unknown on how it will react to E85 long term, could be VERY DANGEROUS ( massive fuel leak and fire is a possibilty !!! )

To be safe all lines, seals, fuel pump and possibly fuel tank should all be updated to E85 rated items.

Quote:
• E85 is inconsistent. It may contain up to 85% ethanol, but that also means that it can have less than 85% ethanol, meaning that every gas tank could have different, unpredictable performance numbers without a sensor to detect the percentage. How do you circumnavigate this?
The E85 I have tested varies from 75-85% ethanol, the ecu will accomodate the changes with the o2 sensors and fuel trims just as it does for gasoline.

Quote:
• Seeing as how your E85 tune matches performance numbers for a 93 tune, why did you do it? This is more a question of my own curiosity than of performance.
I went E85 for the mainly for the octane, even stock the LS3 will be able to make more HP on higher than 93 octane fuel.

Anyone claiming a 20-25whp gain with ONLY a tune on a 100% STOCK LS3 Camaro running on 91-93 octane gas is not telling the truth, the factory tune is VERY GOOD ( Chime in here Robin ? )

Quote:
• What tuning software and dynos did you use? How much experience do you have with such tuning?
I am using HP TUNERS to tune my Camaro, the dyno is a land and sea DYNOMITE ( reads about a little lower than a DYNOJET )

I have been tuning cars on E85 since the 1990's, and building all kinds of street and race cars for 30+ years. ( Die hard mopar lover turned chevy :-/ )

Quote:
• How different is performance tuning for E85 than for pump gas?
Very much like tuning for racing gasoline ( E85 is 105 octane ), the actual afr's are not the same ( e85 haveing a stoich of 9.8 and gasolines 14.7 )

Quote:
• Do you plan on applying forced induction?
Not anytime soon.

Short term plan calls for ARH long tube headers, maybe a set of drag radials and gears once some become available.
speedy6963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:14 AM   #46
FNKNSTN
Banned

Drives: A Black Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Lawrence View Post
It's not

John understands that if anything is adversly effected by using E85 that it's not going to be covered under warranty.

The owners manual states that E85 is not an approved fuel.

Robin
I figured.

I skimmed over the manual, focusing on areas that concern me... and all I saw was recommended octane ratings for gas.
FNKNSTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:50 AM   #47
speedy6963
E85-oholic

Quote:
thanks speedy,

I actually tuned my car in on gas first, I have AHR headers into stock mufflers. Tuned it MAF only using hp tuners, got the MAF transfer dialed in then switched to e85. Since my MAF transfer is dead on determining the stoich value for my e85 fuel blend is easy, just change it till my trims were 0 again. I am running out of injector right now but i am also running too rich, around 11.2:1. Im at 95% duty cycle at 5500 rpm then I let out of it. After leaning it out to 13:1 I should have enough injector to redline.
I would start at 12.7 afr ( better to be safe )

Quote:
are you tuning with hp tuners? in the tune where ever there was dual tables for gas vs alcohol I copy and pasted the alcohol table into the gas. . .assuming they did the work already to get these tables why not use them, and its running great so far.
I am not so sure that is a good idea ( they dont look right to me, likely not ready for use )

Quote:
I am also looking into increasing the fuel delivery now as I plan on doing many more mods. I'm hoping I can wire in a BAP before the FPCM but i'm not sure if this will work.Do you have any plans for the fuel system?
I see no need for a pump or injector upgrade for myself anytime soon.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:27 AM   #48
gpr

Drives: never fast enough
Is there a way to increase fuel pressure on these engines? It might be easier doing this then buying new bigger injectors.
gpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:00 PM   #49
speedy6963
E85-oholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpr View Post
Is there a way to increase fuel pressure on these engines? It might be easier doing this then buying new bigger injectors.
It can be done in the ECU

Last edited by speedy6963; 07-24-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:35 PM   #50
E85LSX

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Even though we can request a higher fuel pressure in the ECU it doesn't necessarily mean that you will get the increased fuel pressure you desire. Since I am running out of injector I decided to raise the pressure through the computer to see if it would work. The pressure was raised at part throttle like I requested but during my WOT runs it could not maintain the requested pressure. I have a BAP I will be trying to install tomorrow. I plan on splicing it in before the FPCM but don't know yet how the FPCM will act or if it will like it. Anyway I'll keep you guys posted, and speedy if you install those headers you will be closer to maxing those injectors out on the stock rail pressure.
E85LSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:40 PM   #51
speedy6963
E85-oholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by E85LSX View Post
Even though we can request a higher fuel pressure in the ECU it doesn't necessarily mean that you will get the increased fuel pressure you desire. Since I am running out of injector I decided to raise the pressure through the computer to see if it would work. The pressure was raised at part throttle like I requested but during my WOT runs it could not maintain the requested pressure. I have a BAP I will be trying to install tomorrow. I plan on splicing it in before the FPCM but don't know yet how the FPCM will act or if it will like it. Anyway I'll keep you guys posted, and speedy if you install those headers you will be closer to maxing those injectors out on the stock rail pressure.
right now i am at 86% duty cycle, i doubt headers will put me over 95%, i can live with that
Old 08-06-2009, 01:07 PM   #52
gpr

Drives: never fast enough
Any updates on this? Are you running any mods now with the e85, and what is your duty cycle at?

By chance do you have a efi tune file you are running you could post up or email. I would be very curious to look it over.
gpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:35 PM   #53
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Is there a size limit to sig pics on here. Im sick of seeing that giant mustang pic on every post.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote