Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-03-2008, 05:35 PM   #1
FUTURE TOP DOG OWNER

Drives: future 500+hp Z28
Very disappointed about new info on the Top Dog Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Not true.

Sorry.

CAFE is making it VERY HARD to justify what we'd planned.

You might want to write to your elected officials and tell 'em what you think about CAFE........

***And this is the Bob Lutz interview from wardsauto.com***

Key Quote:
“I get letters from people saying they heard we were going to add a supercharged 600-hp V-8 to the Camaro lineup, and I write back saying ‘Sorry, with new (corporate average fuel economy) standards (for 2020), we aren’t going to do it.”
The new minimum CAFE standard of 35 mpg (6.7 L/100 km) in 2020 and additional pressure from California and 15 other states to limit carbon dioxide is part of what may force Chrysler LLC to jettison its Viper high-performance model. Chrysler said this week it was examining options for its Viper business, including a sale.

“Setting lower CO2 limits would equal setting CAFE at 43 mpg (5.5 L/100 km),” Lutz says. “This is why the sale of the Dodge Viper by Chrysler makes sense, because anyone selling fewer than 50,000 vehicles annually would be exempt (from fuel-economy requirements).

“So if someone else bought Viper, they could sell to capacity, but Chrysler couldn’t. This is why we are concerned about Corvette.

“The reason California set the exemption for less than 50,000 units is that it would mean the Hollywood folks could keep driving their Lamborghinis and Ferraris.”

Based on the 50,000-unit exemption “Porsche could sell 11-mpg (21.4 L/100 km) Cayennes, but we couldn’t sell 20-mpg (11.8 L/100 km) Chevy Tahoes,” Lutz adds.

Not very good news today, first I read a interview with Bob Lutz and he said
there will be no supercharged camaro, and then on another post from the
Fbodfather stating that cafe is making it very hard to justify building
the Top Dog Camaro , and to write to the goverment!!!

It looks like this might be the best we get (power wise) which is still great power, but the last thing I want is to pull up to the top mustang or challanger
and have to hang my head knowing we won't have a Top Dog fighter on our side!!!

Whos feeling the same!!??
:( :(
FUTURE TOP DOG OWNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:46 PM   #2
Shadowsong

Drives: 2014 Mustang
Blame the liberals and their global warming myths.
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:56 PM   #3
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Maybe GMPP can give us a supercharger. I'm going to bed.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:09 PM   #4
punkdrum01

Drives: 1999 z28 Vert Black/Black
I'm as sad as anyone if this is indeed true......but look at the larger picture here.

1. We ARE getting our Camaro back. If CAFE had come along in 2004 or 2005, we might not even have a 5th gen Camaro to be discussing right now.

2. The new Camaro has a more than capable engine in the LS3, and with few mods should easily be able to make more than 500 hp. Trust me, the aftermarket cannot wait to get their hands on this car.

3. You think GM is the only one shi**ing themselves right now??? I guarantee you Ford, Chrysler, and every other automaker is seriously reviewing their future programs too. Don't be suprised to see the Z28's competition disappear in the near future due to CAFE.

The z28 you THOUGHT you would see may be dead, but I have no doubt there will be a z28 again one day, and I trust that GM will not assign that name to any Camaro model that is not 100% worthy of the name.
punkdrum01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:13 PM   #5
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkdrum01 View Post
I'm as sad as anyone if this is indeed true......but look at the larger picture here.

1. We ARE getting our Camaro back. If CAFE had come along in 2004 or 2005, we might not even have a 5th gen Camaro to be discussing right now.

2. The new Camaro has a more than capable engine in the LS3, and with few mods should easily be able to make more than 500 hp. Trust me, the aftermarket cannot wait to get their hands on this car.

3. You think GM is the only one shi**ing themselves right now??? I guarantee you Ford, Chrysler, and every other automaker is seriously reviewing their future programs too. Don't be suprised to see the Z28's competition disappear in the near future due to CAFE.

The z28 you THOUGHT you would see may be dead, but I have no doubt there will be a z28 again one day, and I trust that GM will not assign that name to any Camaro model that is not 100% worthy of the name.
I agree with you on all points. I believe more people that just wanted a GT500 fighter are upset because that's what Z28 meant to them. I personally hope that go with a revised edition of the z28 that plays more off of it's heritage then an all out brute that the majority were screaming for. but time will tell and we will see. keep the faith.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:16 PM   #6
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Just calm down everyone, I did try to warn you that this may happen... well all is not lost, he didn't say the Z28 was dead, just the supercharged one.. They are just going to have to rethink what the Z28 will be, and I am sure you won't be dissapointed when it returns..
We may have to even put up with some Econo versions first before the ball gets rolling on your Super Maro... But be patient my friends...
Old 09-03-2008, 06:22 PM   #7
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
Just calm down everyone, I did try to warn you that this may happen... well all is not lost, he didn't say the Z28 was dead, just the supercharged one.. They are just going to have to rethink what the Z28 will be, and I am sure you won't be dissapointed when it returns..
We may have to even put up with some Econo versions first before the ball gets rolling on your Super Maro... But be patient my friends...
Well said. Put some carbon fiber in it, make the back seat removeable, lightweight front seats, maybe some aluminum suspension pieces... Just ask yourself, what would Dick Harrell do if he were here.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:40 PM   #8
logan1080

Drives: 2003 Crew Cab Duramax
How about this, buy the camaro SS when it comes out, stuff away some cash if you can for a year or so, then buy a supercharger for the camaro. if they come out with a z28 camaro for 2011 then you will already have a supercharged camaro eating the mustangs and challengers.
logan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:41 PM   #9
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan1080 View Post
How about this, buy the camaro SS when it comes out, stuff away some cash if you can for a year or so, then buy a supercharger for the camaro. if they come out with a z28 camaro for 2011 then you will already have a supercharged camaro eating the mustangs and challengers.
as long as they (people other then GM) don't pop z28 emblems on it. . .I'm cool with whatever. in other words as long as they don't make it a ricer. . .
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:45 PM   #10
Shadowsong

Drives: 2014 Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan1080 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
as long as they (people other then GM) don't pop z28 emblems on it. . .I'm cool with whatever. in other words as long as they don't make it a ricer. . .
Quoted for truth x2
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:59 PM   #11
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
thing gmpp should come out with a supercharger and suspension kit that they will cover the cost of dealer installation and the dealers will get to add z28 badges
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:01 PM   #12
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by shank0668 View Post
thing gmpp should come out with a supercharger and suspension kit that they will cover the cost of dealer installation and the dealers will get to add z28 badges
As I told my Son Just have GM come up with a Z/28 dealer (or customer) add on....Suspension upgrade and a few other goodies along with the Z/28 emblems, It would then be a genuine Z/28 by GM...
Old 09-03-2008, 07:07 PM   #13
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Chevy has performance offerings above the Camaro SS. It's called a Corvette.

So it's not like some giant hole they need to plug in the product line.

Nowdays product consolidation is a key to saving production and development money.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:12 PM   #14
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
i could almost shoot someone why the he!! does a camaro have to be fuel efficient? ok we can make the ss and the v6 but we should be able to make one high performace bad ass muscle car that we can get away with i mean come on with 600+ horses hows a 3900 + all the extra z28 bonsuses pound car gonna be fuel efficient?
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote