Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-12-2015, 06:59 PM   #15
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro69 View Post
I have the DTC-30's and recently took them off as they are *really* noisy for the street.
Serious question. How much intentionally hard braking do you include in your street driving? I realize that this is somewhat traffic-dependent, but do you get any opportunities to use the brakes harder than the average driver in his average commuter car? Do you take advantage of them?

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:16 PM   #16
Retro69

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Serious question. How much intentionally hard braking do you include in your street driving? I realize that this is somewhat traffic-dependent, but do you get any opportunities to use the brakes harder than the average driver in his average commuter car? Do you take advantage of them?

Norm
I get where you are going. I was looking for something more serious mostly for autox but I do some limited track time and I definitely work the brakes hard there. On a recommendation I went with DTC-30 up front and HP+ in the rear.

I really didn't want to play the pads swap game every time I compete.

BTW... just got a reply from Hawk...

They are chamfered, and have weights and springs. Reducing the noise created from a motorsports compound.
It is the most aggressive street compound available today and a first of its kind.

Todd Romano
Managing Director
Hawk Performance/Finish Line Marketing

On Jan 12, 2015 1:26 PM, "Hawk Performance" <perry@canyondatasolutions.com> wrote:
Perry Taylor (perry@canyondatasolutions.com) sent a message using the contact

form at http://www.hawkperformance.com/contact.

I just read about your Performance Street Race Pads. How are these different

from DTC-30's?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Retro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:13 PM   #17
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
I am upgrading to the new Hawk Street-Race pads today and I'm also getting the clutch fluid bled/replaced with Motul RBF600 and I will report back here once I've had a chance to test them out for a few days. I have had no other pads on this car yet, so I have no other pads to compare them to other than the stock ones. (Which by the way, worked fine for me up until my last track day when I noticed I was over-driving them a bit.) The stock ones were squealing on the street.

What qualities would you like me to report back on other than:
Noise - do they squeal after they are heated up
Streetability (stopping under normal traffic conditions)
wear
dust
track performance

Anything I'm missing??

Edit: I'm only getting the fronts. The rears have PLENTY of material left (they look new)
Old 01-21-2015, 02:47 PM   #18
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
I am putting Carbotech's on today, and going to Laguna on Sunday, I will let you know how these work out. I have not heard a lot of positives with hawk as of late...
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:58 PM   #19
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgws6 View Post
I am upgrading to the new Hawk Street-Race pads today and I'm also getting the clutch fluid bled/replaced with Motul RBF600 and I will report back here once I've had a chance to test them out for a few days. I have had no other pads on this car yet, so I have no other pads to compare them to other than the stock ones. (Which by the way, worked fine for me up until my last track day when I noticed I was over-driving them a bit.) The stock ones were squealing on the street.

What qualities would you like me to report back on other than:
Noise - do they squeal after they are heated up
Streetability (stopping under normal traffic conditions)
wear
dust
track performance

Anything I'm missing??

Edit: I'm only getting the fronts. The rears have PLENTY of material left (they look new)
Noise - you might really be more interested in noise in street driving before you get them heated up. If you get any, you may find that occasionally using the brakes hard (as traffic permits) keeps the noise down.

Streetability - how good do they 'bite' when they're cold, as in the first one or two stops on a cool morning.

You should be OK with different pad compounds front vs rear, but be aware that the ABS may act differently/unexpectedly if there's much difference either in the coefficients of friction or in the 'cold bite'.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:02 PM   #20
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
For Autocross/Street these pads will work well, as well as for some light track duty, but for the heavy camaro and those SERIOUS about tracking, you're just going to have to face the fact that you NEED a dedicated track pad. There is no middle ground that will be quiet on the street and hold up good to serious abuse.

The DTC-30/HP+ combo is the best option we have found next to OEM, but the harder drivers will outgrow them.

I think the next hot Hawk setup for Camaros will be the new DTC-50's with DTC-30s in the rear, but again; they'll be dusty and noisy if you try to run them on the street...it's just the nature of the beast.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:30 PM   #21
markgws6

On a related note, has anyone had fade reduced by simply adding cooling ducts?
Old 01-21-2015, 03:37 PM   #22
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
On a related note, has anyone had fade reduced by simply adding cooling ducts?
I never tried the car without the cooling ducts, but the brand new XR1 pads started fading despite having the cooling ducts (and Motul RBF 600) at Oregon Raceway Park. In fairness, I might not have bled the brakes after the track day I had the week before (with ST43s) at the same track, so it might just be the fluid that caused the issue; I'm just not sure.

I switched to StopTech ST60 BBK with ST43s next time; no issues since then.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:15 PM   #23
Retro69

I had some further communication with Hawk regarding these pads...

To Hawk..
That's good news.

FYI... I have been running DTC-30s up front and HP+ on the rears. I *love* 'em on the track but they are *way* too noisy for the street. Looks like I should try the HPS/R's!

Thanks to both of you.

Perry
Their reply...
Dear Perry,

The noise on our High Performance Street/Race pads maybe similar to HP Plus and DTC-30. They are quiet on my Toyota and on my friends Honda S2000, but so far, on Corvettes (C7 and C6) they are noisy. If you’re looking for quiet pads, I recommend our newly release HPS 5.0 (street) pads. They are best street pad in the market. They will be quiet.
So it sounds like they still may not be very street-friendly.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:19 PM   #24
markgws6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro69 View Post
So it sounds like they still may not be very street-friendly.
Hawk supposedly tuned these pads to be more "streetable" but still take the abuse of track use. Since my stockers were already noisy, I'm not as concerned about that as I am being better at late-braking at the track.

I have these new Hawk pads on now (they did both fronts and rears, even though I only wanted the fronts done.) I heard a small bit of squeal going less than say 25 mph so far, but it's very minimal... that may (and probably will) change as I get some more use into them. can't wait to get to the track and test them out!
Old 01-22-2015, 03:27 PM   #25
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Hawk supposedly tuned these pads to be more "streetable" but still take the abuse of track use. Since my stockers were already noisy, I'm not as concerned about that as I am being better at late-braking at the track.

I have these new Hawk pads on now (they did both fronts and rears, even though I only wanted the fronts done.) I heard a small bit of squeal going less than say 25 mph so far, but it's very minimal... that may (and probably will) change as I get some more use into them. can't wait to get to the track and test them out!
In my experience, it is the rear brakes that do most of the noise. This has been the case on both of my Brembo cars (EvoX, Camaro SS 1LE).
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:19 AM   #26
markgws6

Update: These are very noisy in my opinion. If you don't like or want the noise, stay away from them. I even hear the pad scraping the disc sometimes when brakes are not engaged.

Now for the good news:
These bite better in the "cold" than any other brakes I've ever had on any car.
My car stops MUCH better with these pads in normal driving.

Man o man, I wish I could go to the track this weekend, but my finances are not letting me go this month or next unfortunately.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:56 AM   #27
Retro69

Quote:
Update: These are very noisy in my opinion. If you don't like or want the noise, stay away from them. I even hear the pad scraping the disc sometimes when brakes are not engaged.

Now for the good news:
These bite better in the "cold" than any other brakes I've ever had on any car.
My car stops MUCH better with these pads in normal driving.

Man o man, I wish I could go to the track this weekend, but my finances are not letting me go this month or next unfortunately.
I had a similar experience with the DTC-30/HP+ setup. I was *totally* impressed with the braking improvements! It spoiled me when I did a couple of track events where I learned what late braking can actually be! That's then the excessive noise reared its ugly head.

Once I had gotten the brakes really hot at the track it burned off all the high-temp lube and they were very noisy. Driving to/from the track the second day I was ducking my head down everytime I had to brake to make sure everyone wasn't looking at me. I mean it was *really* noisy.

Renewing the lube after the track event took the noise down several notches but it was still pretty annoying. Very disappointed I cannot keep them on the car for DD as they were awesome. I was really hoping these new pads would be a way to not have to pad swap for track events.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:53 PM   #28
markgws6

Okay, I've noticed that when I plant my foot firmly down between 30-40mph the car stops great. But I notice one or more of the rear tires tend to slip more now and cause the ABS to go crazy for a moment. Is that normal? It happened when the tires were warm and don't forget I have the PSS tires too.

Are the rear brakes just biting too hard? I've not tried a hard stop at highway speeds yet... Kinda scared to do that until I know if this is normal or not with the new race pads. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.