Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #15
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
This is the one thing I dread happening with this car. I don't drive much so I have no clue when it may happen, and the thought of losing power over time with no way to fix it without taking the plunge just sucks lol.

I'd rather my chains went out NOW and I could just have GM fix them.

Heres a new question....is there any way I can get this CEL to come on FASTER without running the dog crap out of my car and running crappy oil?? lol
Lol, I highly doubt it. It may not even happen to your car or anytime remotely soon. Its not like every single v6 here has had to get them replaced.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S III using telekinesis.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #16
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
Lol, I highly doubt it. It may not even happen to your car or anytime remotely soon. Its not like every single v6 here has had to get them replaced.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S III using telekinesis.
I agree....it was mostly a joke.

I'm hoping between my frequent oil changes and synthetic oil and catch can and what not that maybe I won't see the affects of it...but I don't know.

Oh wells.

I have had good repudable techs tell me that keeping the oil topped off and changed often is the key.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #17
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
I have 144,xxx miles on my Camaro. I changed the oil when the DIC told me to do it. They went out around 118,xxx miles. For what ever reason, I have noticed little oil use. Just over half the oil changes were with synthetic. As you may have deducted, I drive at a steady rate on the interstate with 68 miles one way to work.
If you go onto the Cadillac forums, this problem has been going on years.
I do not use Fram filters either. I believe the problem is some have let their oil get low.
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:39 AM   #18
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieNsky View Post
I have 144,xxx miles on my Camaro. I changed the oil when the DIC told me to do it. They went out around 118,xxx miles. For what ever reason, I have noticed little oil use. Just over half the oil changes were with synthetic. As you may have deducted, I drive at a steady rate on the interstate with 68 miles one way to work.
If you go onto the Cadillac forums, this problem has been going on years.
I do not use Fram filters either. I believe the problem is some have let their oil get low.
PieNsky did you get your oil monitor re-flashed to the lower 5,000 mile oil change interval? The orig monitor let you go 10k.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:06 PM   #19
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
No, I do change at 5k (after the timing chain change out) and now only have used full synthetic and NAPA gold filter as I don't have a quality parts store nearby.
As far as the top end cleaner, when I took the intake off, I looked down into the runners and the valves were gunked. I ran a Dodge top end cleaner spray with the thin line slid into crank case vent line? I gave short blasts and took up on the Interstate. When I removed the intake, it did a preety good job. It left just a small amount on the front four cylinders, but not much was removed on the back two. This makes sense as cylinders 1&3 had the most on them before cleaning, 5&6 had the least. 5&6 cleaned up little if at all. A one time cleaning took off at least 80% of the front four cylinders , however, my valves did not look as bad as the ones I've seen on here. Not certain as to why I do not use as much oil either. Just started using the non Fram filters the last few changes. I believe that the oil doesn't reach the rear cylinders as bad, and that the cleaner didn't reach back there either. It would be best to use the brake vacuum line to get cleaner to them.
Caddilac owners run full synthetic and have the same problems. Keep oil level up, change at 5k at most, run a good filter, and never run low, or high oil level.

Last edited by PieNsky; 03-30-2013 at 04:53 PM.
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #20
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
M1 is a good oil, but not the DEXOS (syn blend)version.

Pie,

I syspect you broke the car in right (not babied in first 1000 miles) and using ful syn M1 is why you have avoided the issues most have.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:12 PM   #21
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
M1 is a good oil, but not the DEXOS (syn blend)version.

Pie,

I syspect you broke the car in right (not babied in first 1000 miles) and using ful syn M1 is why you have avoided the issues most have.

The only Mobil 1 I can find now has the Dexos logo on it . . . . any suggestions?
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:23 AM   #22
SC2150
Account Suspended

I would look at Pennzoil or Quaker state full syn, or step up to a premium like Amsoil (I shy away from RP).
Old 04-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #23
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
I would look at Pennzoil or Quaker state full syn, or step up to a premium like Amsoil (I shy away from RP).
I like Pennzoil.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #24
SC2150
Account Suspended

I prefer Pennzoil over M1 also.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #25
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Ok thanks I'll check into those!
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote