Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Florida

Old 10-22-2014, 02:35 AM   #1
Sps

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS2/RS 1LE Rally Yellow
Miami camaros

Would there be enough interest for us to start our own club, in the Miami/Dade County area?
I would be willing to do some research to help get something started up
Sps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
I hate to discourage you, but you'd probably be better off joining a senior club that has been here for a long time and targeted to a broader range of vehicles than starting your own club that is exclusive to 5th gens.

The 5th gen club scene here in Dade county has pretty much gone the way of Old Yeller over the past year or so. Even the bigger clubs don't see nearly as much activity as they used to and their threads here on the forum hardly ever get any more posts. There was a big boom in club activity down here in 2011-2012 (I used to run South Florida Camaro 5, the first 5th gen Camaro club to pop up in these here parts), but now it's pretty much just a shadow of its former self. Broward County up through Central Florida seem to be more active these days with the 5th gen enthusiast scene.

I'd definitely say to give it the old college try, but I wouldn't get too disappointed if people lose interest quickly. Most of the old faces from this area's heyday either moved onto other cars or have responsibilities in their lives that forced them out of the hobby. Others, like me, got tired of all the hostility and adversity amongst the competing clubs in those "golden days", so I just backed out and run solo now.

Again, odds are in favor of you not getting too far; but it would be nice to see someone finally put a serious effort into starting an enthusiast group down here again, because it has been slim 'pickins for awhile now. It makes sense, though. These cars aren't the hot sh*t anymore.

Good luck.

Last edited by nUcLeArEnVoY; 10-22-2014 at 10:19 AM.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:23 PM   #3
Sps

Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
I hate to discourage you, but you'd probably be better off joining a senior club that has been here for a long time and targeted to a broader range of vehicles than starting your own club that is exclusive to 5th gens.

The 5th gen club scene here in Dade county has pretty much gone the way of Old Yeller over the past year or so. Even the bigger clubs don't see nearly as much activity as they used to and their threads here on the forum hardly ever get any more posts. There was a big boom in club activity down here in 2011-2012 (I used to run South Florida Camaro 5, the first 5th gen Camaro club to pop up in these here parts), but now it's pretty much just a shadow of its former self. Broward County up through Central Florida seem to be more active these days with the 5th gen enthusiast scene.

I'd definitely say to give it the old college try, but I wouldn't get too disappointed if people lose interest quickly. Most of the old faces from this area's heyday either moved onto other cars or have responsibilities in their lives that forced them out of the hobby. Others, like me, got tired of all the hostility and adversity amongst the competing clubs in those "golden days", so I just backed out and run solo now.

Again, odds are in favor of you not getting too far; but it would be nice to see someone finally put a serious effort into starting an enthusiast group down here again, because it has been slim 'pickins for awhile now. It makes sense, though. These cars aren't the hot sh*t anymore.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info, was thinking along the same lines. No harm in gauging interest.. I see you live in homestead....me too
Old 10-22-2014, 06:15 PM   #4
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sps View Post
Thanks for the info, was thinking along the same lines. No harm in gauging interest.. I see you live in homestead....me too
You're welcome! You are certainly right, there is no harm in gauging interest; and if you can get a strong enough train rollin', so to speak, then I would definitely love to do some meet ups and know some people who might also be interested.

Yeah, I do live in Homestead. I'm out of Leisure City. Pretty sure I've seen your car before, now that I think about it. I've seen a yellow 1LE parked at the Keys Gate Golf and Country Clubhouse twice before. My boss leases out the banquet hall. That your car?
Old 10-22-2014, 08:15 PM   #5
Sps

Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
You're welcome! You are certainly right, there is no harm in gauging interest; and if you can get a strong enough train rollin', so to speak, then I would definitely love to do some meet ups and know some people who might also be interested.

Yeah, I do live in Homestead. I'm out of Leisure City. Pretty sure I've seen your car before, now that I think about it. I've seen a yellow 1LE parked at the Keys Gate Golf and Country Clubhouse twice before. My boss leases out the banquet hall. That your car?
Yes that's me at Keys Gate, I'm not to optimistic about this,but no harm in trying.thanks again for your input.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:27 PM   #6
WONSS

Drives: 2012 1SS/RS M6 SUMMITT WHITE
From one fellow homesteader to another, ive seen both of your cars rollin around lol... to be honest OP the camaro car club scene is dead in the water.... The interest is gone here like an old fad..... good luck though bro and nice ride....
WONSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:39 PM   #7
camarovigoa
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Victory Red A6
Wouldn't mind going to some meets here in Miami
camarovigoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:20 PM   #8
954camaro

Drives: Camaro SS/RS inferno red interior
Even though I live in lauderdale I know some people that are down in maimi that wanted to get a 5th gen club running again. One that requires no fee or having to show up to certain amount of meets each month. I really don't get why other clubs make those requirements but I just wanted to have a 5th ten car club full enthusiasts like me. Where we can help each other if needed and just hangout and chill every so often.

NuclearEnvoy-How you been bud? I still think you,Dani, and the whole gang should plan another day for another trip down to the keys again! That was so much fun!
Old 10-22-2014, 11:49 PM   #9
ORLYHPD
C.O.T.W. 10-27-2014

Drives: 2017 zl1
I AGREE WITH THIS GUY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954camaro View Post
Even though I live in lauderdale I know some people that are down in maimi that wanted to get a 5th gen club running again. One that requires no fee or having to show up to certain amount of meets each month. I really don't get why other clubs make those requirements but I just wanted to have a 5th ten car club full enthusiasts like me. Where we can help each other if needed and just hangout and chill every so often.

NuclearEnvoy-How you been bud? I still think you,Dani, and the whole gang should plan another day for another trip down to the keys again! That was so much fun!
WOULD BE NICE TO JUST HANG
ORLYHPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 03:36 AM   #10
Sps

Thanks guys for the feedback.. I agree I don't want to be part of a club, that charges fees or requires me to attend so many times a month. Would just like to hang out with fellow Camaro owners. Even the odd cruise down to the keys or somewhere like that would be a blast....anyway those are my thoughts
Old 10-23-2014, 09:09 AM   #11
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954camaro View Post

Hmm, your profile info doesn't say the color of your car, but based on your mods, this is Kevin, right? If so, how's it going, man! I've been good! Yeah, another Keys Run would be fun... hopefully this time with better weather!

You can't blame the old clubs for requiring attendance and charging fees... they were just trying to exercise formality. I know for damn sure I felt a lot better when a shitton of cars showed up to a meet rather than just two or three, but those days are over. Before I was given SFC5 to run, meets were always a huge success, but then again the car was still relatively new and most Miami owners were still motivated to meet with other owners and have a good time. This car was all the rage at the time and people were just trying to make their mark, but most of them didn't realize how much patience you need to actually run a club.

WONSS is pretty much spot on, the club scene is dead in the water, but I wouldn't mind attending some hangouts every so often. There has to be some modicum of organization though (at least posting up a thread to alert people) or else it all goes to shit.

In reality, it's not a club that we would want to start, it's just a group of friends. A genuine club is defined as exactly what several people in this thread are against: fees, attendance policies, and regulations.

And again, a lot of the veteran owners down here are pretty jaded by the club war in late 2011 and 2012. Tri-County Camaros was created as a result of a group of former SFC5 members that were unhappy with the way that club was run, and when Tri-County first started out, they were actually pretty antagonistic in the way they promoted themselves, and it only caused my club to do the same thing. Hell, Camaro 5 Muscle was originally created to compete directly with Tri-County and was started by former Tri-County members. It was all a big cluster and it really did discourage a lot of the veteran owners down here. I don't think any other state in the country went through the same thing as what we did. For a few months, our club situation was a nationally known issue amongst the forum!

So you've got a lot of wary people working against you, along with a passion that was once celebrated heavily but has since then died down since the car is not really the "new, hot thing" anymore. I'm willing to set all that aside, though, for the sake of a few low pressure, but organized meets every now and then.

In closing... you never know until you try! So far, you've already got a few people interested.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:23 AM   #12
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

P.S. If you want to start a little group thing, your best bet is to start a FB group page since people use FB more often. Those little pages are usually pretty successful and at the same time, low key and free of all the politics of a club. Anytime you want to try to set up a hangout, just post it on the group page. I already know at least 5 people who would be interested in coming out from time to time, and I'm sure you know just as much, if not more.

For maximum exposure, I wouldn't dedicate it to just Camaros. I'd probably make it for all kinds of American muscle or sports cars.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #13
alvarom123
Love My Camaro! Only 16!

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sps View Post
Would there be enough interest for us to start our own club, in the Miami/Dade County area?

I would be willing to do some research to help get something started up

I live in the Miami Dade county !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2014, 01:23 PM   #14
954camaro

Drives: Camaro SS/RS inferno red interior
Hahaha yep you got it Rob!!! Glad to see that you can remember me by my mods! But ya keys run would be fun! I would love to start a Facebook page to get this going but the sad thing is once again I don't live in Miami so I wouldn't know where it could be held!

But having other muscle cars would be great but from my experience of attending car meets in broward we got a bunch of mustang guys who love to rev constantly and do burnouts, which then entails us getting kicked out of that place by the police. Which really sucks but I guess we all take that chance. If someone from maimi can set a place I will make the page. I really want to do this!!!