Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 08-29-2011, 06:48 PM   #925
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Our Rebel Leader #2.99 has spoken,...so it has been written,..so it shall be done....
Old 08-29-2011, 07:09 PM   #926
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Z28350 View Post
Step away from the keyboard, the nice men in white coats are going to come and bring you to the peaceful place where everyone is all smiles and talk in nice, soothing tones Pete, err 2.99. err, umm flounder? Just stay put and stay away from anything pointy or boomy.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:02 AM   #927
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
I'm with flounder. I vote flounder for CEO of GM.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:08 AM   #928
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Ok all this cost talk... How can GM spend the money on a CTS sedan, coupe & wagon (really a wagon?) and then on a CTSV sedan, coupe and wagon (really a wagon?) and not build a Z28?
The Z28 is just bolt-ons. Lots of tooling between a sedan, coupe and wagon (really a wagon?).
Your thoughts are required.

Thanks!
Old 08-30-2011, 11:36 AM   #929
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
My biggest surprize in the AutoWorld at the moment (considering escalating fuel prices but shrinking family sizes) is the relative lack of WAGONS! They were initially bludgeoned by the MiniVan rage of the mid/late-'80s, and finished off by CrossOvers. But tallroofed vehicles that weigh more than they need to/should in the real world get lousier gas mileage, and who moves around in a moving vehicle these days to look after Jr. and Missy's messes?! Bring back the WAGON! (I happen to be a LongRoof fan...)

Go to holden.com.au and have a look at the Commodore Wagon...sweet!

Rant over...where's my meds?!

CTS required gap-filling for Cadillac/GM. It had to compete with Volvo (wagons), MB (wagons), Audi (wagons), Lexus (well...), Beemer (um...) and everyone else in that vicinity. Including coupes. V6s and V8s were required. And, to counteract everyone else's (stretching a point, here, so don't flame) more efficient/purposeful OHC V8s, Caddy had to reach for the "blower-pill"..tada! CTS-V as we now know it. Smooth seamless power, docile enough for mom (and her wagon), hot enough for dear ol' dad to teach the youngin's some respect. Validate the Sedan, and the Coupe and Wagon follow...SAME basic structure/platform/chassis, call it what you may.

But the same amount of "engineering" and "validation" that went into creating the CTS-Vs on THEIR platform will need to be repeated for the ZL1 (different chassis) and, hopefully in parallel, the real-deal ZEE/28 (HD driveline/brakes/rolling stock/(hood?).

So, in some ways, the "verification" of the ZEE should be less onerou$ than the CTS-V program was, because some of the CTS-V componentry will carry over (almost intact) to the ZL1, which even more easily translates to "our" ZEE (same platform/chassis).
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:59 PM   #930
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Ok all this cost talk... How can GM spend the money on a CTS sedan, coupe & wagon (really a wagon?) and then on a CTSV sedan, coupe and wagon (really a wagon?) and not build a Z28?
The Z28 is just bolt-ons. Lots of tooling between a sedan, coupe and wagon (really a wagon?).
Your thoughts are required.

Thanks!
I'd rather have a CTW than a CTC

Anyway, it wasn't any work at all to make a -V out of the coupe & wagon once they had the sedan. Mechanically, all 3 are identical.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:42 PM   #931
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Gotcha, but why the comments on it takes a lot to get a Z28 done? Again its just bolt-ons "compared" to the caddies quite different body work.

What I'm saying is in "comparison" the Z28 is a simple project (for an engineer).
Old 08-30-2011, 03:21 PM   #932
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Wow (and that is NOT directed at you or anyone specifically).

Remember when the words "SOLID Business Case required" were expressed, some time back?

You would need to be privy to ALL aspects of what GM considers a "SOLID Business Case" to fully aswer this question. And, frankly, I'm not nearly qualified to be the spokesperson...

I can only surmise, based on certain "stuff" I HAVE been a part of in the distant (pre-BK) past...and that "data" may or may not be "inclusive" enough "today"...to approximate an answer. And those who could answer, can't/won't...publicly.

The clock ticks...daily...on the possibility of a Gen-5 Z/28. THAT much I DO know...

There's only so many production months of Gen-5 Camaros left in ANY iteration, so the quicker ALL the numbers get crunched and the data gets digested, the more possibility of such a welcomed version actually gracing a showroom floor in Anytown USA exists.

And, unfortunately, the reverse is true...

As I mentioned last week, let "the people" know...politely, with respect and humility...that YOU are ready to BUY this car at this (sorta) price...as soon as possible, and as soon as possible.

tick-tick-tick
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:48 PM   #933
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Gotcha, but why the comments on it takes a lot to get a Z28 done? Again its just bolt-ons "compared" to the caddies quite different body work.

What I'm saying is in "comparison" the Z28 is a simple project (for an engineer).
Nobody (to my knowledge) said it would be hard to do, perhaps hard to justify sure, but not hard to do (especially one along the lines of whats discussed in this thread).

Now, you could argue that its hard to justify a CTW & CTC and you'd be right. I think their main reason for existence was to give Cadillac some fresh product.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:27 PM   #934
JusticePete

The SS was the ultimate Camaro for two model years. Chevrolet is marketing the ZL1 as the ultimate Camaro and it is for the moment. The question is, how long is the moment?
Old 08-30-2011, 05:34 PM   #935
BoostedX2

Drives: VR ZL1 #259/Nissan 370Z NISMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The SS was the ultimate Camaro for two model years. Chevrolet is marketing the ZL1 as the ultimate Camaro and it is for the moment. The question is, how long is the moment?
I have to respectfully disagree. The SS WAS the ultimate Camaro until the 5.0 came out. Now they are a dead heat. Come on Chevy, show us the fabled value!!
BoostedX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:02 PM   #936
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
I have to respectfully disagree. The SS WAS the ultimate Camaro until the 5.0 came out. Now they are a dead heat. Come on Chevy, show us the fabled value!!
I understand what you are saying. Let's take it a step further. When the ZL1 rolls out that 'other' company will step it up. Maybe that is when we see another ultimate Z?
Old 08-30-2011, 06:28 PM   #937
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
Now you've done it! I think the "ultimate Camaro" discussion has been hashed out, fought over, argued at least 302,000 times (there is significance in that number).
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:44 PM   #938
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

GM has obviously placed the ZL1 as he ultimate. A Z28 would be an alternative an AWESOME alternative!

Tags
700 hp z/28 in 2014, the greatest camaro