Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-11-2014, 09:23 PM   #1
SeaCompiler
...not a marine biologist

Drives: 2012 Camaro RY SS LS3
Break in Attempt??

I noticed these items... 1) around the rubber part of the window are indentations and 2)the paint scrubbed off the underside of the door handle this week (I always reach from the top). I noticed the paint missing off the door handle first and then saw the rubber. Is this a break in attempt? Has anyone done anything clever or unusual to scare off break-in attempts?
Attached Images

Forged 416 stroker Turbocharged with Huron Speed with Cam Motion custom grind,Tuned by Vengeance, 8psi, 25% PowerBond UDP, Ported TB, shaved heads, LS9 gaskets, chromoly pushrods, BT trunnions & dual valve springs, IWIS, Might Mouse CC, SJM Line Lock,, MSD 2-Step, ZL1 Rear End, ZL1 spoiler, Strut Brace, ARP bolts, Skip shift elim, A-Pillar Gauges, FR Style 41 20X10, 3 inch exhaust, blackouts, Lowered, Custom badges, Hines vents,RPI fender vents, Technostalgia Tail Lights, Metra Kit, Pioneer stereo, Morimoto RGB Halos,
"The Great Awakening" on gab.com
SeaCompiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:30 PM   #2
Josh.Duncan

Drives: 2014 1LT/RS Camaro; 2012 VW Jetta
That's unsual. Sit in your car and as soon as they try to break in start the car and roll down the window. I have scared my wife with that before lol
MRT V1.0 Axle-Back Exhaust
BMR Strut Tower Brace
LG Motorsports ZR28 Black Wheels
Josh.Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:31 PM   #3
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
You DIC should of alerted you , It says something like Theft Attempted I think. Unless it did not work right
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:37 PM   #4
J-vette

Drives: '14 1le
It sucks that you can't have a nice car without this. Only thing you can do is just be aware of it and cautious of the cocksuckers that want what you got.
J-vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:40 PM   #5
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaCompiler View Post
I noticed these items... 1) around the rubber part of the window are indentations and 2)the paint scrubbed off the underside of the door handle this week (I always reach from the top). I noticed the paint missing off the door handle first and then saw the rubber. Is this a break in attempt? Has anyone done anything clever or unusual to scare off break-in attempts?

The weatherstripping issue is extremely common on these cars and it doesn't have to have anything at all to do with a break in. Roll down the window, it's easy to correct it with the window down.

The paint damage is unfortunate and I wouldn't like it either, but I do not see how this points to a break in attempt. Something rubbed the door handle.

You have two distinct and different ills, they have no relationship that I can see and neither one points to a break in attempt in my opinion.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:46 PM   #6
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
yeah its material failures..not break in..
ssrs2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:03 PM   #7
SeaCompiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
The weatherstripping issue is extremely common on these cars and it doesn't have to have anything at all to do with a break in. Roll down the window, it's easy to correct it with the window down.

The paint damage is unfortunate and I wouldn't like it either, but I do not see how this points to a break in attempt. Something rubbed the door handle.

You have two distinct and different ills, they have no relationship that I can see and neither one points to a break in attempt in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrs2lt View Post
yeah its material failures..not break in..
Thanks for all the feedback from everyone. Not sure what abruptly caused the paint damage, but not worried about it. I park in a quiet area in a back parking lot of work next to a questionable motel and was a little concerned. I will be more attentive to see if anything else changes. I can fix a break-in, but I am more concerned with the confiscation of my dash cam which would show them the exact route to my home.
Forged 416 stroker Turbocharged with Huron Speed with Cam Motion custom grind,Tuned by Vengeance, 8psi, 25% PowerBond UDP, Ported TB, shaved heads, LS9 gaskets, chromoly pushrods, BT trunnions & dual valve springs, IWIS, Might Mouse CC, SJM Line Lock,, MSD 2-Step, ZL1 Rear End, ZL1 spoiler, Strut Brace, ARP bolts, Skip shift elim, A-Pillar Gauges, FR Style 41 20X10, 3 inch exhaust, blackouts, Lowered, Custom badges, Hines vents,RPI fender vents, Technostalgia Tail Lights, Metra Kit, Pioneer stereo, Morimoto RGB Halos,
Old 07-11-2014, 11:07 PM   #8
SeaCompiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBS View Post
You DIC should of alerted you , It says something like Theft Attempted I think. Unless it did not work right
I didn't know it would do that! (no, I didn't read the manual... yet)
Old 07-11-2014, 11:33 PM   #9
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Yeah, I've got the window stripping thing too.

Hate to hear that about the handle. I hope no one is trying to get your ride.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:27 AM   #10
Hejjo

Drives: 2014 Camaro LS, summit white
This is most likely a failed break in. If the door was opened then the the alarm would have sounded and then the dic would alert you but not only that when you unlock your car after something set it off the car would beep 3 times when u unlock it to alert you that there was an alarm sounded since you were in your car last time. But because They failed to break in an alarm was not triggered. He either failed or was scared off. The chance of a failed break in is greater than 2 defects in the same vicinity. Jus my 2 cents
Hejjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:44 AM   #11
Firehawk178
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Victory Red
Another guy here with the weather stripping buckling and relieved to see it's a common thing and not a sign of attempted thievery.
Firehawk178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:08 AM   #12
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
the door handle looks like somebody got you with their car door when they opened it. most of my car have the same marks on the handles from ignorant assholes who just fling their door open.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:07 AM   #13
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hejjo View Post
This is most likely a failed break in. If the door was opened then the the alarm would have sounded and then the dic would alert you but not only that when you unlock your car after something set it off the car would beep 3 times when u unlock it to alert you that there was an alarm sounded since you were in your car last time. But because They failed to break in an alarm was not triggered. He either failed or was scared off. The chance of a failed break in is greater than 2 defects in the same vicinity. Jus my 2 cents
The weatherstripping is a common thing that happens. I've managed to do it while washing my car. Other times I just happen to notice it. I've corrected this six or seven times on my own 5Gen.

The paint damage is inexplicable with regards to a break-in attempt to me. How do you equate that paint damage with a break-in attempt? I'm at a loss as to how that damage is evidence of a failed break-in.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:30 AM   #14
RollaMo

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:

Yep, I agree.
Have seen the weather strip issue on lots of different cars, not just the Camaro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hejjo View Post
Not buying that at all. As stated, lots of people have seen the weather strip issue.
The paint chip on the door handle could have been caused by any number of things besides a failed break in.
It seems the paint chips on these cars very easy.

Quote:
The weatherstripping is a common thing that happens. I've managed to do it while washing my car. Other times I just happen to notice it. I've corrected this six or seven times on my own 5Gen.

The paint damage is inexplicable with regards to a break-in attempt to me. How do you equate that paint damage with a break-in attempt? I'm at a loss as to how that damage is evidence of a failed break-in.
+1
2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote