Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-26-2015, 08:52 AM   #15
Knockoutpie

Drives: 2014 2SS RS Coupe
Ya, then light it to remove left over fluid...

Jk
Old 01-26-2015, 08:56 AM   #16
redhotcandy

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickwithaustin View Post
...lighter fluid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockoutpie View Post
Ya, then light it to remove left over fluid...

Jk
LOL!!!!
redhotcandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:58 AM   #17
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
I'm surprised no one here has mentioned that if you picked up black color you have a bigger issue, because the car is supposed to have a clear coat...
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:23 AM   #18
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
I'm surprised no one here has mentioned that if you picked up black color you have a bigger issue, because the car is supposed to have a clear coat...
^^^ Exactly- Must have removed the clear if color coming off.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:26 AM   #19
redhotcandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
That's what I was thinking...I guess there's no way to get that back besides getting some more clearcoat applied? That sucks if I do since it's only about the size of a quarter.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:03 AM   #20
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Guys the black is the residue 99 times out of 100. You almost assuredly didn't remove the residue, all of your clear and into the base using goof off.

Before we panic, take the advice that's been offered and see what happens. If it truly is down to the base then we have a much bigger issue but I really doubt that.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:27 AM   #21
redhotcandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Guys the black is the residue 99 times out of 100. You almost assuredly didn't remove the residue, all of your clear and into the base using goof off.

Before we panic, take the advice that's been offered and see what happens. If it truly is down to the base then we have a much bigger issue but I really doubt that.
Ok, I'll be picking up adhesive remover this evening and doing what I need to do there. I'll check back. I HOPE I can repair it simply, but...we'll see. I appreciate everyone's comments.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:18 PM   #22
redhotcandy

Quote:

When I started, I applied a small amount of Goof Off on a cotton ball and started by just dabbing the area. After several dabs, I gently wiped 2 to 3 times and saw that the adhesive wasn't easily coming off and when I looked at my cottonball, it has "some" black on it. That is when I noticed the hazey look in the quarter size area that I worked on. Of course my heart sank...I started to think that maybe the black residue that came off onto my cottonball was possibly the black spray wax I use...not sure. In any event, I'll go through the steps suggested here and see what happens!
Old 01-26-2015, 03:17 PM   #23
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:

+1

I just recently took a dealer sticker off the rear of my car and when I removed the residue/old glue it gave a black color on my microfiber towel used to remove it. My car is red so it wasn't paint. If the sticker was on for a long time it can cause "ghosting" which will show an outline of the area where the old sticker was once you get all the old glue off, Optimum polish II (or another light polish) on a white pad will remove this "ghosting" easily. If you actually did remove clear which is highly unlikely, and you don't want to repaint, just buy a new sticker and put it back over the spot.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 01-26-2015 at 03:44 PM.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:23 AM   #24
redhotcandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
+1

I just recently took a dealer sticker off the rear of my car and when I removed the residue/old glue it gave a black color on my microfiber towel used to remove it. My car is red so it wasn't paint. If the sticker was on for a long time it can cause "ghosting" which will show an outline of the area where the old sticker was once you get all the old glue off, Optimum polish II (or another light polish) on a white pad will remove this "ghosting" easily. If you actually did remove clear which is highly unlikely, and you don't want to repaint, just buy a new sticker and put it back over the spot.
pickwithaustin told me no more stickers...lol.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:31 PM   #25
redhotcandy

SUCCESS! Sticker residue off with Goo Gone, area washed, waxed and buffed. NO HAZING!

Thank you everyone for your help! My baby is pretty again.