Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-11-2015, 09:25 PM   #1
amerimuscle

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS
the right blower

I have a bolt on l99 with a blower cam and I'm undecided as to which blower to go with. Main goal is to be as fast as possible from a 50 ish roll / highway pulls. I love the insta-torque of PDs but I also like the top end of centris. What's right for me??

I'd consider turbo(s) if the setup is exponentially better than an appropriately selected sc but id hate to go through the work of taking off headers and switching cams.

I apologize in advance for beating a dead horse here but despite all the previous debates that I've read I still haven't gotten anywhere?
amerimuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:45 PM   #2
cc-rider

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Seeing your main goal of 50mph hwy rolls, I think you should go centri. Or turbo. And that's coming from a PD guy...

You can research the PD vs Centri vs turbo subject for 50 years and never find "the" answer. Because there isn't one. They all have their pluses, minuses, and trade offs. You need to decide what you want and what your goals are and then chose whatever one YOU want. These trade offs are well documented. You will see the fan boys of each set up try to minimize or even sometime try to deny the trade offs are there. But don't buy into that. Understand the pluses, minuses, and trade offs of each and make your decision.

The good news is that there are many many many awesome options for the Camaro. We are lucky to have a car that is so supported by the big power aftermarket community. All FI options are awesome and fun in their own way.

Good luck!
cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:47 PM   #3
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Cam specs? The difference between a "turbo cam" and a "blower cam" aren't that far off depending on what you have.

The pain of selling headers is easily offset by the money you get back for them and the 200+hp more you make.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:39 PM   #4
SuperchargedStealth

Drives: '11 Camaro Supercharged Convertible
For that type of racing I would say a TT setup. Besides the fact that altitude won't affect a turbo system like it would a S/C setup, you can achieve good power levels on a stock bottom end.
2011 Triple Black SS convertible, LSX 427, PRC 260cc heads, Callies Ultra Billet Rods, Wiseco -20 cc piston, Callies Dragon Slayer crank, Strange Dana 60 rear w/3.73 gear ratio and driveshaft, Pfadt coilovers, Pfadt sway bars, Pfadt trailing arms, Pfadt tie rods, Pfadt subframe bushings, Vortech YSi with wastegate and twin BOV, Haltech ECU, Mantic 9000 Twin Clutch, ALKY control meth system with dual nozzle, Squash twin fuel pumps, ACS T3 ports, VIS Terminator Hood, Seibon ZL style lip.
SuperchargedStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:42 PM   #5
Nighthawk89

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2Ss M6
Heartbeat SC
Nighthawk89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:11 AM   #6
realcanuk

Drives: 2007 Corvette C6 983 RWHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk89 View Post
Heartbeat SC
Doesn't help the op to just suggest he buys what you have. For what he described he wants to do with it a centri is the better option without question. I loved my PD blower but for rolls from 50, the centri wins hands down.
Dewitts / dual spals, A&A dual pump fuel system.
3.42 polished gears, hardened shafts, Alky control meth, Cartech line lock, ECS axle loops, Trans brace, 6L80 built by me.
ID 1000 injectors, comp rockers, Morel lifters, BT springs, Trend 3/8 pushrods, ATI 10% OD Damper
Circle D Triple Disc stall
1009 RWHP @ 7000, 817 RWTQ @ 6000,
realcanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:44 AM   #7
amerimuscle

Thank you lol I knew everyone would suggest what they currently run because they think it's best, if they didn't they wouldn't be running it. my goals and objectives are very clear , given the powerband of a centri I was leaning towards that route just because of the continuous and gradual pull up top
Old 05-12-2015, 08:54 AM   #8
2013 ZL1 #7860

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 #7860
Quote:
Originally Posted by realcanuk View Post
Doesn't help the op to just suggest he buys what you have. For what he described he wants to do with it a centri is the better option without question. I loved my PD blower but for rolls from 50, the centri wins hands down.
I don't have a heartbeat and I think he should consider it. Probably the best PD blower available with the least issues and room to grow. Very much OEM quality.

Also, the OP said he liked PD blowers...

I have never understood the fascination with Centris. All the negatives of a turbo and the PD blower in one complicated package.

The best direction to go for a roll race setup is a proper TT setup. Just costs more money.
2013 ZL1 #7860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:58 AM   #9
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
TT setup is cheaper than a heartbeat so not sure that argument works.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:31 AM   #10
amerimuscle

Lots of good points. If your doing the supporting mods to pair with a sc kit then altogether you'll be more $$ in it, if your doing twins on a stock motor it'll be cheaper. Kit for kit depending on which the twins could be more or less. I think you need to give the centri more props tho it pulls very smoothly, never really plateaus, and without the high iats of most pd but it's belt driven
Old 05-12-2015, 10:41 AM   #11
TRC-SS
700RWHP-650TQ

Drives: 2011 Forged LS3 Supercharged/Cammed
I have the SLP Blower and Love it, But if your looking for big power and rolling power jump onto a TT setup or the Centri like others described. Better suits your goals.

I would of done Twins if i could do it all over.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:55 AM   #12
SoChrisB

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Agree with TRC-SS. If you want power on a pull go centri or TT. I have a couple buddies with both and they pull a lot harder than me from 50mph. I have the SLP blower, too. Best bang for your buck is probably TT, and have a very high ceiling for HP.
SoChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:48 PM   #13
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
Two big limitations you are going to run into with your bolt on L99 car.
First is going to be the stock trans is only good for up to about 650whp and have it last very long. That's easy power to make with ether a TT or Centri.
To pass that limit we recommend going 6L90 out of a ZL1, that will handle more power than your L99's pistons and rods can take. So finding the limits of the engine is rather different with the two power adders. The blower is going to take about 15% of the engines power to spin itself up, where the turbo will not. Turbos are sort of a free lunch, running off what would be wasted energy. So if a centri would max your motor out at 680whp, it would be the same stress on the motor as turbos making 780whp.
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:18 PM   #14
amerimuscle

Thanks for clarifying AGP, but if I don't plan on maxing out the stock trans either or would suffice, correct?