Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 05-28-2018, 08:52 AM   #15
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal45 View Post
Thanks for the comments. I did state in my opening post that I sold my '15 ZL1 a while back - so, no trade - just looking at getting back into having a performance toy that I don't have to daily drive (my '15 ZL1 was also my DD, now have a '17 Ridgeline for my DD).

I see that you have both ZL1 and Hellcat - so you are the perfect authority to ask... How does the acceleration compare between a stock Gen6 ZL1 and a stock Hellcat?

The 6th Gen ZL1 will satisfy you completely!!

Between the 2, the Hellcat feels faster for sure. Despite the weight, it just feels faster. My HC is M6 trans while my ZL1 is A10 so perhaps the trans and the rear gearing plays a role in how it feels. I guess it is possible. But it def feels a lot faster. Most videos I have seen of both cars side by side shows the HC pulling away just slightly. And the feel of both cars does support those videos. One day I'll get the HC to the track to see what kind of MPH she gets so I can get a better idea of how they stack up to each other.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:54 AM   #16
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
I had a 13 ZL1, its a dog compared to the 17 ZL1.

This. I had a '14. Feel the same. The Gen 6 Zl1 dumps all over the 5th Gen.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:54 AM   #17
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttxz06 View Post
This. I had a '14. Feel the same. The Gen 6 Zl1 dumps all over the 5th Gen.
What’s crazy to me if you look back is that all the magazines said the Gen V was king. King of slow and heat soak. But it’s a new day!
Old 05-28-2018, 10:04 AM   #18
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
What’s crazy to me if you look back is that all the magazines said the Gen V was king. King of slow and heat soak. But it’s a new day!
It's always about the latest and greatest...LOL
In went from the SS to Zl1 in 13. The plus side was the ride and the ZL1 had longer legs over the SS.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2018, 10:39 AM   #19
cal45

Drives: 2015 Blue Velvet Metallic ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
The 6th Gen ZL1 will satisfy you completely!!

Between the 2, the Hellcat feels faster for sure. Despite the weight, it just feels faster. My HC is M6 trans while my ZL1 is A10 so perhaps the trans and the rear gearing plays a role in how it feels. I guess it is possible. But it def feels a lot faster. Most videos I have seen of both cars side by side shows the HC pulling away just slightly. And the feel of both cars does support those videos. One day I'll get the HC to the track to see what kind of MPH she gets so I can get a better idea of how they stack up to each other.

Thanks - appreciate your input.
cal45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:49 AM   #20
cal45

Drives: 2015 Blue Velvet Metallic ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
It's always about the latest and greatest...LOL
In went from the SS to Zl1 in 13. The plus side was the ride and the ZL1 had longer legs over the SS.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That's kinda what I did - started with a '14 Black SS, to a '15 BVM ZL1. They were each my daily drivers - work commute situation changed and had to get different transportation (could afford to keep a toy).

So, now this time around - it will be just a sunny day cruiser.
BTW, the '18 ZL1 I test drove yesterday was HB just as yours - but with the A10. That color is really impressive in person.
cal45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:24 PM   #21
Stefano

Drives: 6th Gen NicKey Camaro & others.
Your 600rwhp 5th gen would be a lot more poweful and responsive than stock. That set up is no slouch and still lot of fun for a Street car or track car . The 6th gen is lighter and tighter and you can feel it even on the street and it has many features that were not available on 5th gen. Having driven both, I would say overall performance would be about the same in this case.
Stefano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:32 PM   #22
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Have you considered a used Z06? I have both cars. If you drive them back to back, you can really feel the weight of the Camaro. Not that the Z06 is some carbon tub 3000 pounder but it's definitely a bit quicker and has nasty acceleration. It feels a lot smaller and more nimble. C7Zs look a bit more exotic too, with the stage 2 or 3 aero and lowered, they look down right awesome.

I've watched dozens of Hellcat vs ZL1 races in person and online. Whoever gets the jump, however slight, wins. Period. If both races are DEAD even on the start, then the Hellcat can get a fender on it. But it does NOT "pull away" from it at all. The Hellcat is a much more terrifying ride, less traction control/torque management and no tire to speak of on the back, so it feels quicker than it is. I drove a Challenger Hellcat for a week. I could never have one. It's like driving a fast sedan. Yeah it's fast, but it's a boat on the road, the braking and handling is archaic feeling compared to an Alpha platform Camaro or a Corvette. You feel like you're driving a big vehicle, and that's because you are. I don't know about you but when I pull the cover off of my garage queens and roll out on a weekend, I want to drive something that feels a little more special than that.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote