Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-27-2016, 11:24 AM   #15
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Thanks alot guys you guys are awesome

Im going to tear down the motor and ill take pics of the timing

And hopefully we can see if the timing is okay or if its skipped a tooth
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:25 AM   #16
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
A thread I wanted to post last night but couldn't because of the storms. Its from a cadillac forum:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...d-fully-6.html
Old 04-27-2016, 11:28 AM   #17
TJ91

Beauty!
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
Old 04-27-2016, 07:13 PM   #18
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
You should be able to tell if it's in time by setting the marks on the crank and looking at the back of the cams. They should have the flat spots on top to fit the special tools in whatever "phase" they need to be in.
Attached Images

JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:22 AM   #19
TJ91

Would you guys pay a shop $1100 to do the chains or would you do it yourself? I pick up the chains at 5

lol I know its an odd question but im here debating. Im comfortable taking apart the motor, its just ensuring the timing is right that im nervous about only because I don't think I am understanding exactly how to be sure the timing is correct
Old 04-28-2016, 12:12 PM   #20
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
Would you guys pay a shop $1100 to do the chains or would you do it yourself? I pick up the chains at 5

lol I know its an odd question but im here debating. Im comfortable taking apart the motor, its just ensuring the timing is right that im nervous about only because I don't think I am understanding exactly how to be sure the timing is correct

I would attempt it myself. I have been reading your thread, and many others, over the years, capturing all the info I can. Along with I have the PDF files for the Manuals. ( I had planned to send them your way too, but saw that Magnum beat me to the punch). I don't trust to many people to work on my Camaro. And I always say, if man put it together, than I can take it apart and do it too. Might not fully understand everything, but will attempt it if and when that day come. Plust while the valve covers are off, good time to remove the insulator and paint them to a color of choice.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:52 PM   #21
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
I have set several 3.6L timing chains, but I am a GM tech and have all the tools I need to do it. Having said that, it is POSSIBLE to do if you use the manual and follow it exactly. Its a difficult read and sometimes it takes a bit of understanding what they mean and not what they say. If you can buy the cam locking tools I would highly suggest getting them as they make the "guess work" much less. It's a nerve racking engine to put chains on because there is no rotation checking your work. You could read/interpret a step incorrectly and put them on wrong, but it would take a pretty severe mistake to cause damage, typically you'll only be slightly off. It will run without damaging anything if you are off a tooth but will set a check engine light. Good luck and take your time.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:20 PM   #22
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
I have set several 3.6L timing chains, but I am a GM tech and have all the tools I need to do it. Having said that, it is POSSIBLE to do if you use the manual and follow it exactly. Its a difficult read and sometimes it takes a bit of understanding what they mean and not what they say. If you can buy the cam locking tools I would highly suggest getting them as they make the "guess work" much less. It's a nerve racking engine to put chains on because there is no rotation checking your work. You could read/interpret a step incorrectly and put them on wrong, but it would take a pretty severe mistake to cause damage, typically you'll only be slightly off. It will run without damaging anything if you are off a tooth but will set a check engine light. Good luck and take your time.
PieNsky did this himself. Wonder if he had easier instructions.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:29 PM   #23
TJ91

I found the manual really tough to read
It just keeps saying refer to this refer to that
Old 03-01-2019, 09:35 PM   #24
WheelSpinner23

Drives: 2014 LS Camaro v6
Can anybody send me the workers manual finally got my mace cams and want fo install them myself to save some extra cash!
WheelSpinner23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:16 AM   #25
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
Watch his videos , they are close enough that you can use them. I would pay $1100 myself.
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 01:30 PM   #26
MX2Forty

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS
Getting ready to do the job next weekend. Do you all recommend changing the Camshaft Actuator Solenoids or water pump?
MX2Forty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:31 PM   #27
fnhowe84

Drives: 2018 Hotwheels M6 & 2010 1LE V6 M6
vvt solenoids at a bare minimum, actuators/phasers your call. oil pump is right there and id do that over the water pump considering oil issues kill these engines
Old 05-21-2019, 05:37 PM   #28
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Cloyes has a great video. Watch it several times before you start as some of the timing is tricky:

And of course, to avoid failure in the future ONLY use full synthetic oil, and make sure it is not the super thin viscosity the owners manual states. A 0w40-50 is best on all GDI engines. A 5w50 is also good. And of course, install our E2-X catchcan system with cleanside to keep that oil clean as possible, and while you have the intake manifold off, search for the intake valve cleaning threads on here and do the same. You wont believe the difference it makes to get 15-20 HP back.

Cheers!!!

Tech@EliteEngineeringUSA.com Sales@EliteEngineeringUSA.com
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote