Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 11-22-2019, 06:53 PM   #1
birdmanf16

Drives: 2022 Zl1 1lE
Send a message via MSN to birdmanf16 Send a message via Yahoo to birdmanf16
transmission fluid leak!!! Need advice please

I had the trans fluid changed about a month ago. I used redline atf as per the specs. I took it to a local shop that is really good with high performance cars and I trust them. Is it possible for them to have overfilled it when they changed it? I told them the capacity amount, but the more I read it appears you can not put that much in and it has quite a bit of residual in it. Can it be the redline fluid? They are telling me it is leaking at a gasket connection point on the transmission itself. Not the plug or not on the front end or back end.
birdmanf16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:55 PM   #2
birdmanf16

Drives: 2022 Zl1 1lE
Send a message via MSN to birdmanf16 Send a message via Yahoo to birdmanf16
I told them to open the fill plug and see if it is coming out of the plug...if so, to drain it until it is at the lip of the fill plug. then I told them to tighten up some of the trans bolts on those gaskets to see if that will help.
birdmanf16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:04 AM   #3
SCZ

Drives: 2015 Z/28
We have lifts in our shop and II do my own service work. Recently changed trans fluid. Simple. remove drain plug and let it drain. Remove fill plug while its draining. Replace drain plug after it drains completely. We use a power pump to fill with lubricant until it runs out of the fill hole. 4 quarts, if I remember correctly. Replace drain plug and clean any lubricant off the the trans. If yours wasn't leaking before and is now, I would first check the plugs.
SCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 05:28 PM   #4
pzero

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28 #968 Silver Ice M
Birdman,

Hope you got that resolved. You should see where the trans fluid is dripping from.
If it’s the drain plug, you’ll see drops of red on the plug. If it’s the gasket you’ll see red wetness around the trans gasket area. Hope the gasket isn’t the problem (more work involved). If plug is stripped try this and it will fix the problem.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...iABEgLNkvD_BwE

Remember the trans and other parts on these are alum so it’s super easy to strip. That’s one of the reason I do my own work when it comes to fluid. I’m afraid they might over torque it. 18 ft lb is all you need. That goes for all oil, trans, and rear diff.

Good luck hope you resolved this issue.
pzero is offline   Reply With Quote