Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 10-23-2017, 08:04 PM   #85
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
The current Zl1/1Le paved its own way from two very successful programs. It just made sense to bring the two together, especially with no Gen 6 Z28 in the mix. I am not trying to take anything away from the Z28 but its success was short lived.
Incorrect. The DSSV suspension is a cornerstone for the performance of the ZL1 1LE. Additionally, what Chevy learned via the Z/28.R also influenced the ZLE development (sorry.. name is too long).

You say you aren't taking anything away from the Z/28, but then you say its success was short lived. Too funny. It can hang w/ a Gen6 ZL1 on the ring (guys have shown this by comparing lap times before it began to rain) and it's still sought after by track enthusiasts even w/ the vaunted Gen 6 SS 1LE and the ZL1 on the market. Sorry man, you make this too easy.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:44 PM   #86
z28monster

Drives: 15 Z28, 17 GT350R
Quote:
The current Zl1/1Le paved its own way from two very successful programs. It just made sense to bring the two together, especially with no Gen 6 Z28 in the mix. I am not trying to take anything away from the Z28 but its success was short lived.
Your view of 'short lived' is quite obscured. Short lived relative to what? Relative to the present era of meca performance car production in history? Sure, if that's the case, my 2014 991.1 GT3 is very short lived to the new 2018 991.2 GT3 as it beats it on the Nurburgring by 14 seconds. In this scenario, one can also say the 918 Spyder is short lived to the new 2018 GT2RS as it beat the Spyder by 10 seconds (yes, it shocked me too). So, in today's world, it's fair to say that 90% of performance cars are quickly short lived. It's like computers, buy a new one just to find that it's performance is 2nd hand in 3 months.

Where you also fall short on your 'short lived' thesis is that the 14-15 Z/28 truly paved the momentum for GM Camaro Engineers to push the envelope of camaro performance into the future. The Camaros produced from 1970-2013 surely didn't - the Gen 5 ZL1 and 1LE gave a slight sneak peak, but didn't give THE birth.

You see, Gen 5 Z/28 owners - and every other camaro owner, including yourself - knows that the standard Gen 5 was a piece of s*&! and the birth of the Z/28 truly shocked everybody, from performance car writers, to porsche guys, corvette guys, dodge guys, volvo guys and everything in-between. Everyone was asking, how in the world could a Gen 5 Camaro be this good? You've heard it, and you were probably one of the tens of thousands that asked this same question. And no, the Gen 5 ZL1 did not start this major momentum just because it had more HP nor did the Gen 5 1LE just because it has 'some' track capabilities. It was about total performance and capability, uniqueness, and beauty all wrapped into one...the Z/28.

I don't need to itemized the lists of things the Z/28 possess that made it a truly unique car...like, the LS7, first car in production to have 305's up front....oh sorry, I got excited just thinking about all the goodies and couldn't resist typing a couple, hehe.

In essence, the Z/28 gave birth rights to your 1LE, the ZL1 and the ZL1 1LE, and ignited the Camaro brand into the future as a legit performance car/brand.

So now I welcome you to this specific Gen 5 Z/28 section of the camaro5 forum and the mindset of 99% of Gen 5 Z/28 owners.

Oh by the way, I have an extra bumper sticker that I can send your way that says: "The Gen 5 Z/28 paved the way..."

Last edited by z28monster; 10-23-2017 at 09:13 PM.
z28monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:25 AM   #87
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28monster View Post
14-15 Z/28 truly paved the momentum for GM Camaro Engineers to push the envelope of Camaro performance into the future.

The Z/28 truly shocked everybody, from performance car writers, to Porsche guys, corvette guys, dodge guys, volvo guys and everything in-between.

It was about total performance and capability, uniqueness, and beauty all wrapped into one...the Z/28.

I don't need to itemized the lists of things the Z/28 possess

In essence, the Z/28 gave birth rights to your 1LE, the ZL1 and the ZL1 1LE, and ignited the Camaro brand into the future as a legit performance car/brand.

:
These are all very pointed and correct statements. The Z/28 is not the end all, but it was the beginning of a new era of "Performance Camaro's". What the Z/28 is, is a total package with a unique motor, which will set it apart long term from other performance Camaro's.

I agree it did shock the establishment of writers and other car makers - Ford followed suite with the GT 350 and 350R - total packages, bad @$$ cars at a value price! I have been a hard Core Porsche guys since I could first afford one back in 1991 and had GT3's, GT2's, GT3 RS, GT4 and multiple different Factory Cup cars, but never even considered Chevrolet for anything other than a tow vehicle until the Z/28 came along.

190 different parts from the SS 1LE - that is a lot of changes!

The Gen 6 SS 1LE, ZL1 and ZL1 1LE have followed up with what the Z/28 started for Chevrolet with more great performance packages. This all bodes well for the future of "fun" cars! Competition will push all mfg.'s to be better. GM and Ford are pushing the ball uphill fast and at the price point they offer these cars the exotic mfg's are paying close attention!
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:45 AM   #88
frenchsquared

Drives: 15 Z28, 01 Corvette, 96 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercup View Post
Ford followed suite with the GT 350 and 350R - total packages, bad @$$ cars at a value price!
Not even in the same ball park as the Z28, not in 2014. Maybe 2018 now that they finally got rid of the solid axle. I am friends with a GT350r and GT500. The GT500 owner bought a C5 corvette because the GT500 sucks on the track. His words. A base C5 corvette is almost faster and only $8,000. It will be faster when he sets it up right. Still stock alignment and street tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercup View Post
I have been a hard Core Porsche guys since I could first afford one back in 1991 and had GT3's, GT2's, GT3 RS, GT4 and multiple different Factory Cup cars, but never even considered Chevrolet for anything other than a tow vehicle until the Z/28 came along.
YEP!.... Then you have seen the face of a GT3RS owner when a GM pull vehicle passes them on a race track. It is a small slice of heaven when those guys come over and ask what the hell is that? then say "No way a Camaro just passed me".

I do it every track day.... I have been running with PCA for 4 years and do

The GT3 is an amazing car. I would love to own one. But they are not faster on the race track. The cost twice as much. I still want one because, Porsche.
pretty much every Rocky Mountain event they offer.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:12 AM   #89
Notilloc

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchsquared View Post
YEP!.... Then you have seen the face of a GT3RS owner when a GM pull vehicle passes them on a race track. It is a small slice of heaven when those guys come over and ask what the hell is that? then say "No way a Camaro just passed me".

I do it every track day.... I have been running with PCA for 4 years and do

The GT3 is an amazing car. I would love to own one. But they are not faster on the race track. The cost twice as much. I still want one because, Porsche.
pretty much every Rocky Mountain event they offer.
I love running with the PCA, I just have a 1LE with Nittos and none of the Nordstern PCA guys can believe what my "big fat pig" of a car can do. I hang with all the GT3s until my brakes say f you. The brand new GT3rs is still quite a bit faster than me but it's the only stock car that is running faster lap times than me. I've had countless Cayman, 911, and even a couple GT4 and GT3 owners come up to me and ask what I've done to my car. None of them believe me that it just has a track alignment, track pads and Nitto NT-01s.

I'm really hoping that Chevy comes out with a 6th gen Z/28 and I'll be first in line for it. The ZL1 1LE is an awesome car but it's just too much of everything. 650hp, 3,800 lbs, wings and canards all over the place. I want a 6th gen Camaro that's completely stripped down, on a major diet(3,500ish lbs), big sticky tires front and rear, 500 - 550hp, DSSV shocks and an appetite for GT3rs'. I know I could just get a Grand Sport Corvette and be done but to me, there is something about the Camaro and I want to stick with it. I have gone and looked at a couple Grand Sports though so it could still happen, lucky for my bank account and my spec Miata dreams, they were completely loaded with crap I didn't want and were Z-06 price or they were automatic.
Notilloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:53 AM   #90
frenchsquared

Drives: 15 Z28, 01 Corvette, 96 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notilloc View Post
I hang with all the GT3s until my brakes say f you.
Z28 doesnt have that issue

Quote:
I know I could just get a Grand Sport Corvette and be done but to me...
Yep, I was looking at one. My plan was to order a GrandSport because I still think the super charger will over heat the way I drive my car. The Z28 was perfect and for me faster then the grand sport or at least close enough that I can make it faster then most other drivers. I saw a Grand Sport a few weeks ago at a dealer that I loved... not my normal colors but this car was amazing.

I walked out and got back in my Z28 and said to my self its still just another vette. Its not special like my Z28

I will take the grand sport WAY before I would even look at a ZL1 1LE.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:13 PM   #91
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTIFIED View Post
Incorrect. The DSSV suspension is a cornerstone for the performance of the ZL1 1LE. Additionally, what Chevy learned via the Z/28.R also influenced the ZLE development (sorry.. name is too long).

You say you aren't taking anything away from the Z/28, but then you say its success was short lived. Too funny. It can hang w/ a Gen6 ZL1 on the ring (guys have shown this by comparing lap times before it began to rain) and it's still sought after by track enthusiasts even w/ the vaunted Gen 6 SS 1LE and the ZL1 on the market. Sorry man, you make this too easy.
Yes i agree the DSSV has a great future in the track focused cars , and the ZR2 colorado pick up .
I can understand the Z28 being a sought after by track enthusiasts, its a bargain at under 40k .
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:24 PM   #92
aris

Drives: Z/28
Quote:
Yes i agree the DSSV has a great future in the track focused cars , and the ZR2 colorado pick up .
I can understand the Z28 being a sought after by track enthusiasts, its a bargain at under 40k .
To be honest, it was a bargain as a track car at $75k. Can't say I've seen any for under $40k yet though.
aris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:43 PM   #93
Notilloc

Quote:
Originally Posted by aris View Post
To be honest, it was a bargain as a track car at $75k. Can't say I've seen any for under $40k yet though.
I'm waiting very patiently haha. I've gotten close ($41k) but as soon as I find one without any track miles(I love how easy the carbon rotors/pads make it to see if it's been on the track), not anywhere that's recently flooded, no accidents, low miles and black, grey or white or maybe red for $38k or less I'll probably jump on it. I can still fit that into my budget and buy a spec Miata next year and that's the goal
Old 10-24-2017, 05:50 PM   #94
Gen6_1Le

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28monster View Post
Your view of 'short lived' is quite obscured. Short lived relative to what? Relative to the present era of meca performance car production in history? Sure, if that's the case, my 2014 991.1 GT3 is very short lived to the new 2018 991.2 GT3 as it beats it on the Nurburgring by 14 seconds. In this scenario, one can also say the 918 Spyder is short lived to the new 2018 GT2RS as it beat the Spyder by 10 seconds (yes, it shocked me too). So, in today's world, it's fair to say that 90% of performance cars are quickly short lived. It's like computers, buy a new one just to find that it's performance is 2nd hand in 3 months.

Where you also fall short on your 'short lived' thesis is that the 14-15 Z/28 truly paved the momentum for GM Camaro Engineers to push the envelope of camaro performance into the future. The Camaros produced from 1970-2013 surely didn't - the Gen 5 ZL1 and 1LE gave a slight sneak peak, but didn't give THE birth.

You see, Gen 5 Z/28 owners - and every other camaro owner, including yourself - knows that the standard Gen 5 was a piece of s*&! and the birth of the Z/28 truly shocked everybody, from performance car writers, to porsche guys, corvette guys, dodge guys, volvo guys and everything in-between. Everyone was asking, how in the world could a Gen 5 Camaro be this good? You've heard it, and you were probably one of the tens of thousands that asked this same question. And no, the Gen 5 ZL1 did not start this major momentum just because it had more HP nor did the Gen 5 1LE just because it has 'some' track capabilities. It was about total performance and capability, uniqueness, and beauty all wrapped into one...the Z/28.

I don't need to itemized the lists of things the Z/28 possess that made it a truly unique car...like, the LS7, first car in production to have 305's up front....oh sorry, I got excited just thinking about all the goodies and couldn't resist typing a couple, hehe.

So now I welcome you to this specific Gen 5 Z/28 section of the camaro5 forum and the mindset of 99% of Gen 5 Z/28 owners.

Oh by the way, I have an extra bumper sticker that I can send your way that says: "The Gen 5 Z/28 paved the way..."
The Gen 5 Z28 came after the ZL1 and the SS/1Le and i have heard all the talk about how good the 1le package transform the camaro well before there was a Z28 . I don't believe the Z28 gave birth rights to any gen 6 camaros to this point. Yes i was caught up in the hype when the Z28 was released and its a great track car . I would never call it or compare it to a supercar no matter how good it is on the track .
I'll trade you bumper stickers i have one for your Z28 ,it says " Almost as fast as a 1Le " (at laguna seca in small print).
Old 10-24-2017, 06:11 PM   #95
Gen6_1Le

Quote:
Originally Posted by aris View Post
I agree , as a track car it was worth the $75 k .
If you check cars.com you will find them starting at 38k although it did have 58000 miles which means you will see a expensive brake job in about 22000 miles .
Old 10-24-2017, 06:31 PM   #96
Notilloc

Also, anyone that claims the 2017 1LE is faster than the Z/28 around a track needs to read through this. 3.9-second difference around VIR is a very big difference.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...d-more-feature
Old 10-24-2017, 07:15 PM   #97
z28monster

Drives: 15 Z28, 17 GT350R
Quote:
The Gen 5 Z28 came after the ZL1 and the SS/1Le and i have heard all the talk about how good the 1le package transform the camaro well before there was a Z28 . I don't believe the Z28 gave birth rights to any gen 6 camaros to this point. Yes i was caught up in the hype when the Z28 was released and its a great track car . I would never call it or compare it to a supercar no matter how good it is on the track .
I'll trade you bumper stickers i have one for your Z28 ,it says " Almost as fast as a 1Le " (at laguna seca in small print).
Your bumper sticker may be a little high for me to read
z28monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:07 AM   #98
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Quote:
Also, anyone that claims the 2017 1LE is faster than the Z/28 around a track needs to read through this. 3.9-second difference around VIR is a very big difference.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...d-more-feature
^^^THIS^^^

3.9 seconds is a lifetime.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote