Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-18-2012, 02:58 AM   #1
PythonLT1

Drives: 1972 Chevelle SS454 4 Speed Convert
Car sunk and need a new one

Lost my SRT8 Challenger in the recent hurricane and need a new muscle car.

Pretty sure i'm going to pull the trigger on a factory order ZL1 hardtop tomorrow. I have built it online and have optioned it the way I wanted.

Dealer started at wayyyy over sticker for the one he had (which I had no interest in) and $10k over for the rag that was on the floor. Then he offered me sticker on a factory order and I laughed. I explained that I could go to a more rural area and I'm sure I'll find a dealer who will be more then willing to take $500.00 over tissue. Its the same effort to place an order for a mini van. I was heading for the door and he me told wait, checked with manager one more time and came back and said it's a go on my terms if I want it.

Any input from from you all about the car, optioning or what I might expect switching from the Dodge would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
PythonLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:10 AM   #2
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PythonLT1 View Post

Any input from from you all about the car, optioning or what I might expect switching from the Dodge would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
The ZL1 won't have that big ass school bus feel when your in it .
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:01 AM   #3
rpepka

Drives: 2013 ZL1 # 2195
only $1,300 in profit on them.

not much wiggle room, not counting dealer hold back.
rpepka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:37 AM   #4
SB09

Drives: 2012 SS/RS M6 AGM
How much will you have a person sitting in the backseat in this car? If rarely, you will be fine making the transition. You'll be upgrading a long way from the Challenger.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:36 AM   #5
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Option wise, if your real tall, don't get the sunroof.

Here would be my option choices for a bad ass ZL1:

AGM color, black wheels, carbon fiber hood insert, manual trans, cargo net.

Nav if you like Nav, but I don't. I would also put a body color Heritage Grille on it, and remove the front Bowtie from the Heritage Grille. Not sure if you can order that at time of order or just have the dealer order from parts dept. Then have the windows tinted.

That would be a stealthy looking bad ass ZL1.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:16 AM   #6
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post

Nav if you like Nav, but I don't. I would also put a body color Heritage Grille on it, and remove the front Bowtie from the Heritage Grille. Not sure if you can order that at time of order or just have the dealer order from parts dept. Then have the windows tinted.

I'm 6' 1, don't have any problem with the sunroof on my car. and a Heritage Grille on a ZL1 just looks stupid.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:18 AM   #7
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
Quote:
Originally Posted by PythonLT1 View Post
Lost my SRT8 Challenger in the recent hurricane and need a new muscle car.

Pretty sure i'm going to pull the trigger on a factory order ZL1 hardtop tomorrow. I have built it online and have optioned it the way I wanted.

Dealer started at wayyyy over sticker for the one he had (which I had no interest in) and $10k over for the rag that was on the floor. Then he offered me sticker on a factory order and I laughed. I explained that I could go to a more rural area and I'm sure I'll find a dealer who will be more then willing to take $500.00 over tissue. Its the same effort to place an order for a mini van. I was heading for the door and he me told wait, checked with manager one more time and came back and said it's a go on my terms if I want it.

Thanks
The biggest thing is make sure they have allocation, if so get that in writing and whatever deal you and the dealer come up with needs to be in writing too.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:48 AM   #8
Blown355

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarx82 View Post
I'm 6' 1, don't have any problem with the sunroof on my car. and a Heritage Grille on a ZL1 just looks stupid.
I'm 6.1 and must have the seat lowered all the way down and back a little further than I like, just so my head does touch the headliner. With a helmet on for racing, forget it. Totally wacked seating position. I would check it out first before pulling the trigger on sunroof.

But I do agree, the ZL1 grill is 100 times nicer than the heritage grill.

Good luck with your purchase.
Blown355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:07 AM   #9
Hercules

Drives: 13 ZL1 1091, 04 Ram 2500, 12 CX9
I'm 5'11" and have no problem with the sunroof but my buddy who is 6'2" has problems. With the seat all the way back and lowered his hair rubs the headliner. There is no way he could wear a helmet and not jamb himself up.
Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:09 AM   #10
Tyler H
XLR8TNG

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Sorry for the unfortunate loss of you SRT8. As long as you and your loved ones are all good the car can be replaced! I ordered mine with nav, sunroof (had it on my 2010 with no headroom issues). Also went auto this time due to I won't track the car and drive mountain highways in the Rockies mostly. Even loading the car up the price you pay for what you get is a real bargin! You can't beat the performance for the price anywhere. No matter what you decide on I can assure you that you will be super happy with the car. No offence to the Dodge it's a nice looking car but the ZL1 is a whole new can of whoop ass! Hope you decide on one. Good luck!
Tyler H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #11
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post

Wow, you pretty much described my car, except for the tranny- I went Auto. I agree with all of your recommendations except the heritage grill. In my opinion, the heritage grill is for a retro feel, and I don't think there is anything retro about a mean looking ZL1!

Oh, and the cargo net is a deal killer! If they don't include it, walk!!

If you are tall, or have a long torso and plan to take it to the track you may not wany to go with a sunroof. I have a sunroof, and I am 5'11" with a long torso. With my seat all the way down I have to lean the seat back to fit with my helmet on, and even then I am wedged in. It's not uncomfortable, just something to consider.

Good luck on your choices! You'll love the new Z!
Old 12-18-2012, 08:27 AM   #12
Trackman

Drives: 67RS Camaro ,Black 2013 ZL1
X2
I have a sunroof, wish I didn't. I'm 6' . With a helmet on I'm smackin the roof or kinking my neck.
Trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #13
Irishblackcoffee

Drives: 13 1LE GBE M6, 12 VR M6 #872
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamZ View Post
The ZL1 won't have that big ass school bus feel when your in it .
true that
Old 12-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #14
SCOTT430

Drives: 2013 ZL1 VERT
May I ask which dealer?
SCOTT430 is offline   Reply With Quote