Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 04-14-2015, 11:10 PM   #15
sakooon

Drives: Chevrolet
When the camber plate is mounted on the coilover, it lets the spring ride higher than original Pedders top spring perch, and the bottom perch has to be raised to compensate. However, there aren’t enough threads on the shock body to fully compensate for the increase, meaning that the spring cannot be preloaded. My solution to this was to switch to a longer spring. The springs on my particular coilovers measured around 6-3/4” uncompressed (I think it was around there, and with any used spring, yours may differ) and measuring from the attached, torque down top perch to the bottom perch, which I had threaded as high as possible while still being fully-threaded, measured somewhere in the neighborhood of 7.1-7.2,” however keep in mind that you still need to add 3-5mm for pre-loading the spring. Since that is the absolute .???
sakooon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:45 AM   #16
Burt
Cone Killer

Drives: 2012 SS
I'm tired of these monkey flying spammers on my Monday-Friday thread.

Selling off my remaining wheels, tires, 27mm front sway bar, and MGW shift knob. Get them out of my house before my wife puts me out!
Burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:02 AM   #17
Burt
Cone Killer

I need to measure it again and make some final adjustments, but I've got the car pretty well corner-balanced. I'm aiming for 670mm fenders heights all around with myself in the driver seat, my girlfriend in the passenger seat, and a half tank of gas. I've also got the dampers set for 20/17 F/R (out of 30) which is firm, but very controlled.

I'm pretty pleased with how the car handles now, but I think I've got my next few mods lined up:

-Some custom exhaust work...

-JPSS radius rod bushings

-JPSS eccentric bolts for front caster adjustment

-JPSS sway bar end links

-A simple three-axis tool, so i can get into doing my own alignments. There's still a good bit I need to learn before I can really get into doing them, but I'm not going to learn by not doing.

-Microsuede steering wheel from Gen5Diy

-SRP Pedals

The handling is radically improved compared to the stock setup, but I've still got some fine tuning ahead of me. I'm hoping to have a properly dialed in, decent sounding car by the end of the summer.

Selling off my remaining wheels, tires, 27mm front sway bar, and MGW shift knob. Get them out of my house before my wife puts me out!
Old 06-16-2015, 01:30 PM   #18
Burt
Cone Killer

I fell into the opportunity to throw a pair of NPP mufflers and the accompanying diffuser on my car, so I jumped on it. Obviously, the diffuser needs to go on before the mufflers, and it's next to impossible without removing the whole bumper cover. That's actually a relatively straightforward process, all you have to do is disconnect the wiring to the bumper (hidden by the two plastic covers under the trunk lid) and remove the fasteners in the wheel wells, and then it's just a matter of focused pulling. Once the whole cover is off, the diffuser is just held on by a set of (7mm, I think? 6 or 7mm) small bolts, and clips. The easiest way I found of popping the clips loose was to take a razor blade, and work it in between the tongue on the diffuser and the bumper cover, so that its no longer hooked in place. I took a couple of pictures, but they suck, so I'll put them up once I have a chance to make them look decent. Anyway, behold! I definitely prefer the look and sound of the NPP exhaust to the standard setup. Here's a gratuitous front end shot from this morning as well.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2015, 07:38 PM   #19
camaro500

Drives: 2017 Jaguar F Type R Tuned 498awhp
keep up the amazing work! I cant imagine what a 10.5 wheel with 295 up front must feel like!
camaro500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:57 PM   #20
Burt
Cone Killer

Thanks! The front end grip is crazy, and all that extra tire adds some extra precision and weight to the steering as well. I'm taking it to the autocross again this Saturday, I'm going to let the camber plates out and really see what it can do.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:09 AM   #21
Burt
Cone Killer

I've been hitting the autocross course pretty regularly, and I'm finally learning how to make the car stick. It's got a ton of front axle grip, and a good overall grip balance, although I wouldn't mind shifting the grip balance forward a little more still. After talking it over with a fellow SWVRSCCA member who tracks a Camaro, and looking at the mods I've done, I've got bushings and new tires in my future. My Pilot Super Sports seem to be getting tired, and my plan is to replace them with a set of Yokohama Advan V105s in a 295/35R20 over the winter. Anyway, here's the car knocking through the cones a few weeks ago.
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2015, 12:33 PM   #22
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Lookin' good!
Old 07-31-2015, 12:56 PM   #23
thunderkyss

Drives: 2015 Red Hot SS/RS M6

I've never ran an autocross course in my life, so take this with a grain of salt..... but isn't the objective not to hit the cones Mr Conekiller?

J/k
Old 07-31-2015, 01:14 PM   #24
Burt
Cone Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
Lookin' good!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

I've never ran an autocross course in my life, so take this with a grain of salt..... but isn't the objective not to hit the cones Mr Conekiller?

J/k
Hey, avoiding the cones requires you to be good

Old 08-03-2015, 04:13 PM   #25
Burt
Cone Killer

I forgot to add these last time, both of these guys run in my region as well. Wouldn't mind owning either one
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2015, 12:53 PM   #26
CurtiSSWatson

Drives: Black SS
Your Camaro, the Vette, and the Viper all look GREAT running the course!
CurtiSSWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:37 AM   #27
Burt
Cone Killer

Thanks! I've ridden in both the Vette and the Viper since then, and they're insane. It's hard to realize just how much better than my car they are without being in them all on the same day.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:17 PM   #28
1993ka24det
Curve Carver

Drives: 1993 Mazda Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt View Post
I forgot to add these last time, both of these guys run in my region as well. Wouldn't mind owning either one
That Viper has some good body roll.

How do you like the Yokohama tires? Does your Auto X have class setup by Tire Tread Wear Rating?

Tags
autocross, forgestar, mgw