Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 11-22-2019, 05:30 PM   #1135
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Got the doors back from sandblasting. No surprises which is a good thing. They won't be that bad to do when the time comes, straight forward repairs. Glad I don't have to cut out someone's poor work this time. Also got the wheels machined. It was a bit time consuming especially operating the mill with my friggin' shoulder, because the wheel will now center on the studs the work needed to be accurate so I picked up center of each hole, drilled them, then reamed them to final size and increased the diameter of the counterbores for thick washers. I fit one on the car and everything looks good. The tires will be here tomorrow but I probably won't get them mounted until Monday.
Attached Images

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 05:11 PM   #1136
CFD

Got the doors, latches, window regulators and headlight buckets in epoxy primer. I'll deal with making repair panels for the doors sometime down the road. I want to get this mobile before my surgery. The tires came in and I got them mounted but I didn't get them on the car, I'll do that tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2019, 01:24 PM   #1137
CFD

Didn't have much time today but I did get the tires and wheels on the car. I think tomorrow I'm going to get the doors and latches on the car so they will be functional.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2019, 12:46 AM   #1138
MTA Architects

Drives: FORD
Top 10 Famous Architects

Want to get started with interior design for your office? Then here's MTA one of the top 10 famous architect designers in Chennai. Connect with them for further details.

https://www.mtaarch.com/
MTA Architects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 05:01 PM   #1139
CFD

Been moving right along on the Buick. I was able to set up the door latch in the mill and pick up center on the broken bolt and drill it out so I the got the doors mounted and the latch and handle assemblies installed. These doors never closed correctly and the body lines were off by as much as 1/2". Most likely because of all the poor metal work done previously so I concentrated on the body lines and latches and got them very straight, both doors now function perfectly and the body lines are good. The gaps are really off so I trimmed the passenger door as much as needed to get it to work properly, when I have time I will do all the gaps either by trimming or adding material as needed. I also got the hood, hinges and latches installed as well as the headlights. I need to order the window channel components then I can get the windows in.
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2019, 04:38 PM   #1140
CFD

Haven't posted much but I have been quite busy trying to get the Buick drivable and getting my shop squared away before the shoulder surgery. I did get the transmission controller programmed, made up a quick battery tray, got the fuel tank hooked up, put the car up on jackstands and brought it up to operating temperature and ran it through the gears . I put it down and was able to move it back and forth under it's own power. I also had a lot of small but time consuming things to finish. Made special washers to mount the wheels on the studs, got the window regulators all finished and installed. I also machined the special screw that broke in the door lock. The door handle ferrules and window felts came in so I will work on them tomorrow. If everything goes as planned and the weather cooperates I will be pulling it out tomorrow, drive it up and down the driveway a little to make sure everything seems right and then loading it on the trailer to take to my buddies shop for an alignment and the street exhaust.
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2019, 06:39 PM   #1141
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
I’m drooling....

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 05:07 PM   #1142
CFD

This morning I was able to get the Buick out. I was really pressed for time so didn't get a chance to play with it or get many pictures. I did get to back it off the trailer and drive it into the shop so it is mobile. While there, we will be doing the alignment and exhaust, then I'll be in a good place with it before the surgery. I did get a picture of it in the daylight while on the trailer.
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2019, 10:00 PM   #1143
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
Haven't posted much but I have been quite busy trying to get the Buick drivable and getting my shop squared away before the shoulder surgery. I also machined the special screw that broke in the door lock.
Dude, you're amazing......great job and good luck with the surgery. I'm looking forward to the rest of the saga.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:47 PM   #1144
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhxk3 View Post
I love this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
I’m drooling....

-Don
Me too... probably the coolest car project I've ever witnessed from beginning to end with all the details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h018871 View Post
Dude, you're amazing......great job and good luck with the surgery. I'm looking forward to the rest of the saga.

Love the tire and wheel choice. Seeing this out in the sunlight now is pretty cool as well.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:10 PM   #1145
CFD

Thanks everyone, glad you're enjoying it.

Got it up on the alignment rack and I couldn't be more happy. Other than a minor toe adjustment everything is right to specs . Wheel base is now 119.4 ", it started out at 123", difference being what was needed to center the wheels in the wheel wells. I also started designing the exhaust, it's going to be very simple, pretty much a short straight run of 3" pipe mated to Flowmasters and a small turnout. I'll work on it a little more tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2019, 09:26 AM   #1146
tstodii

Drives: White 2015 Z/28
Awesome progress as always. It's getting closer to being on the road. Can't wait to see video of it going down the road under it's own power.

I was heartbroken for you when the Camaro was wrecked. I really enjoyed watching that build. Keep up the amazing work sir
tstodii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 03:54 PM   #1147
CFD

I've been busy getting my shop in order before my upcoming surgery but I have been working on the Buick. I started rebuilding the window channels, I was able to drill out the broken adjuster for the window channel and save the threads. All the parts came in, I have been unable to come up with the needed rivets locally so I will have to order them. The car is still at my friends shop but if weather permits it will be coming back tomorrow. We finished test fitting the exhaust today, I brought the headers back to fit the outlets for the street exhaust and clean them up a little. Tomorrow we will fit it all together one more time then I will bring it back here and take the exhaust apart one more time to finish the welding and painting them. The mufflers are Flowmaster 4" round with 3" inlet/outlet and pretty much a straight exhaust from header to muffler. Other than installing the windows the car will be a turn key driver.
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2019, 03:52 PM   #1148
CFD

Got the headers and exhaust system welded, painted and installed. Needless to say it's still way too loud for a street car lol. I'll figure something out. Pulled it out of the shop and played around with timing, carb adjustments etc. It's running really nice and sounds great. I tickled the throttle coming up the driveway and instantly broke the tires loose, this is going to be lots of fun. I can almost see the tickets pilling up. Other than installing the glass it's pretty much turn key. I may put the rear fenders on but it's much easier pulling it in and out without them on because of the tight fit.
Attached Images