Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 06-24-2015, 03:01 PM   #1
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Gen 6 2016 Convertible images and some details.

hmm I think I might be trading up, the powered hard tonneau is reason enough for me.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topi...and-fun-facts/

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
6/24/2015

Chevrolet released its official images for the all-new 2016 Chevrolet Camaro this morning. The top is cloth with thermal and acoustic insulation. Chevy designed it to look like the hardtop. No easy task. Many convertibles lose some of their visual punch with the top up. This Camaro looks great top up or down. Here are a few facts about the top that point to the Camaro Convertible being fun and easy to live with:
  • Fully automatic operation with latches that automatically release and secure the top
  • Capability of opening or closing at speeds up to 30 mph
  • Remote opening with the key fob
  • A hard tonneau cover that deploys automatically, providing a more refined, finished appearance when the top is lowered and stowed.
Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer, made a bold claim about this new body and convertible design saying, “From the beginning, the Camaro’s architecture was developed to incorporate a convertible with uncompromised driving dynamics. Customers will appreciate what they don’t feel: quivers, cowl shake or an under-damped chassis typically found in a four-seat convertible.” Claims like this are very common at the launch of convertibles. It will be interesting to see how the 2016 Camaro convertible performs.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 06-24-2015, 03:04 PM   #2
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Nice!!
Old 06-24-2015, 08:30 PM   #3
CLOTAGAMES

Drives: 2014 VERT SS/RS
check this out

http://www.chevrolet.com/2016-camaro/
CLOTAGAMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:53 PM   #4
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
The question I haven't seen answered... is there a convertible button on the keyfob? With electronic latches on the top, there's no reason they couldn't do that, but haven't seen it confirmed yet.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:58 PM   #5
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_cowboy View Post
The question I haven't seen answered... is there a convertible button on the keyfob? With electronic latches on the top, there's no reason they couldn't do that, but haven't seen it confirmed yet.
Yes you can lower the top from the fob.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Chevrolet Lifts Lid on 2016 Camaro Convertible
Segment’s most advanced top is fully automatic, with refined appearance
General Motors

June 24, 2015

DETROIT – Let the sun shine in. Chevrolet will offer a convertible model of the all-new 2016 Camaro, featuring the segment’s most advanced top.

The 2016 Camaro is the only convertible in the segment to offer all of the following:
  • Fully automatic operation with latches that automatically release and secure the top
  • Capability of opening or closing at speeds up to 30 mph
  • Remote opening with the key fob
  • A hard tonneau cover that deploys automatically, providing a more refined, finished appearance when the top is lowered and stowed.

The electro-hydraulic power roof system features multilayer construction – including acoustic and thermal barriers – designed for a comfortable, quiet driving experience in all seasons. The top emulates the sleek silhouette of the Camaro coupe.

“The 2016 Camaro coupe will set the benchmark for the segment in terms of technology, performance and design,” said Todd Christensen, Camaro marketing manager. “Adding the most sophisticated top in the segment brings another level of refinement – and driving enjoyment – to the Camaro convertible.”

The new Camaro convertible arrives in early 2016.

Like the Camaro coupe, the convertible benefits from a stiffer, lighter structure that helps reduce total vehicle weight by at least 200 pounds compared to the model it replaces. Consequently, the Camaro convertible retains the coupe’s sharp chassis tuning and nimble reflexes.

“From the beginning, the Camaro’s architecture was developed to incorporate a convertible with uncompromised driving dynamics,” said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer. “Customers will appreciate what they don’t feel: quivers, cowl shake or an under-damped chassis typically found in a four-seat convertible.”

The architecture also enables the Camaro convertible’s sleek design, allowing the top to fold down completely beneath the belt line. The hard tonneau cover automatically covers the folded top, creating a finished appearance.

“With many convertibles, you have to affix a tonneau cover manually – if it’s done at all,” said Tom Peters, design director. “The Camaro convertible’s automatically deploying hard tonneau not only makes it easier to enjoy convertible driving when the inspiration hits, it ensures the car always looks its best.”

About the 2016 Camaro

The sixth-generation Chevrolet Camaro offers higher levels of performance, technology and refinement and is designed to maintain the sporty car segment leadership earned over the past five years.

Offered in LT and SS models, it provides a faster, more nimble driving experience and a broader powertrain range.

Six all-new powertrain combinations are offered, including a 2.0L Turbo rated at an SAE-certified 275 horsepower, an all-new 3.6L V-6 producing and SAE-certified 335 horsepower, and the LT1 6.2L V-8, which is SAE-certified at 455 horsepower and 455 lb-ft of torque – the most powerful Camaro SS ever. Each engine is available with a six-speed manual or eight-speed automatic transmission.

Camaro’s leaner, stiffer platform and slightly smaller dimensions are accentuated by a dramatic, sculpted exterior. Meticulously tuned in the wind tunnel, the exterior contributes to performance through reduced aerodynamic lift for better handling, while enhancing highway fuel efficiency.

Inside, the driver-focused cabin integrates class-leading control technologies, including a new Driver Mode Selector, configurable instrument cluster and a customizable ambient lighting feature.

The 2016 Camaro coupe and convertible will be produced at General Motors’ Lansing Grand River assembly plant in Lansing, Mich.

For more information on Chevrolet, please visit http://www.chevrolet.com

FAST FACT: In 1967 – Camaro’s first model year – the available convertible model came with a manually operated top. A power-operated top was a $52.70 option selected by 47 percent of buyers.

Photography

VIDEOS:

Old 06-24-2015, 11:11 PM   #6
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Sweet, thanks. Now if only they'd introduce a new orange I could probably talk the wife into it.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:30 PM   #7
ajp
50th Anniversary Vert

Drives: Camaro 2017 50th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_cowboy View Post
Sweet, thanks. Now if only they'd introduce a new orange I could probably talk the wife into it.
This.

Froze all spending on my 5th gen as of today.

Will be putting in a pre-order for next spring.

Looking forward to the wind blowing through my hair, while I still have hair.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:01 AM   #8
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
based on some of the videos I've seen it appears the top functions the same way, and may well be using the same parts as the C7 top.

the hard top opens the same; the top appears to retract the same; the magnetic latching system appears to be the same, and the drive and top technology appears to be the same, the only difference is the size of the top.

according to GM:

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/n...nvertible.html

it is constructed of new multi-layer material, which is the same they stated about the C7 convertible.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:16 PM   #9
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
MRC?
Old 06-25-2015, 12:22 PM   #10
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Looks like any other convertible to me but I think the automatic close /open top at 30mph is bad ass.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 01:55 AM   #11
DaveA

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS vert
Man that automatic tonneau is a sexy feature. It only takes me a few minutes but I despise putting it on and taking it off. But I'm not taking the hit for however many thousands of dollars to upgrade from my 2013 w/12k miles.
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:07 AM   #12
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
I really like the hard tonneau cover and the fact that it is all done with a push of a button makes it better. But, will not be trading mine for quite a while.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:19 AM   #13
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Wow! I'm very excited with this car. Two of my problems with the current vert and many others are how they look top up and how bulky it looks behind the back seat with the top now. It makes the current vert look feminine. This is fixed with this car. It looks bad ass top up or down. This will make me a vert driver.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:43 AM   #14
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
hmm I think I might be trading up, the powered hard tonneau is reason enough for me.

The entire look of this 2016 convertble is absolutely terrific. A bit chunkier looking due to its shortened chassis which makes it appear more muscular and the fully automatic top (with key FOB operation!) and hard tonneau are strong arguments which may sway me into trading my 2011 for it.

BTW, are the hood inserts / vents functional or only for aesthetics? They look very similar to the ones on the Saturn SKY.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote