Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-03-2014, 08:29 PM   #1
batone
2012 2SS/RS vert 6spd

Drives: 2012 Convertible SS/RS
hurst shifter

I tried searching, but didnt find my answer. I just purchased a 2012 ss/rs, with 6 speed manual and hurst short throw shifter. I want to change the know to a hurst t handle. Anybody done this, or can anyone give me some insight into how it can be done?
batone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:41 PM   #2
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by batone View Post
I tried searching, but didnt find my answer. I just purchased a 2012 ss/rs, with 6 speed manual and hurst short throw shifter. I want to change the know to a hurst t handle. Anybody done this, or can anyone give me some insight into how it can be done?

It can be done. Is the the factory hurst shifter or the one done directly from hurst aftermarket? I have the hurst aftermarket one and I installed a pistol grip on mine. I love it. Just wish the upper stick attachment was short to acclimate the pistol grip. It's pretty high
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:26 PM   #3
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thCamaro View Post
It can be done. Is the the factory hurst shifter or the one done directly from hurst aftermarket? I have the hurst aftermarket one and I installed a pistol grip on mine. I love it. Just wish the upper stick attachment was short to acclimate the pistol grip. It's pretty high
I believe you can get shorter sticks from hurst for the billet plus two.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:34 PM   #4
lawman007
Panama-Gulf War Vet

Drives: '11 SW 1LT/RS 6M
Ok so guess I am not following why you want to put a handle shifter instead of the ball shifter in your SS. You increase the throw as you increase the distance from the axis. I then take it you are not interested in the shift speed since the ball would give a faster shift.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:15 AM   #5
batone
2012 2SS/RS vert 6spd

I have the factory hurst short throw shifter, although I am not concerned about shift speeds( i have no plans to race mine), the T handle shifter will not change the height of the shifter much if any. The factory shifter doesnt have a "ball", it has an odd shaped leather covered knob. I just dont like the feel of it.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:55 AM   #6
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
Loosen the jamb nut on the bottom of the ball and then unscrew the ball. T handle install is the opposite. Screw the handle on. Position it. Tighten the jamb nut
Old 08-04-2014, 09:06 AM   #7
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
I think you will need to replace the upper part of the shifter in order to use a threaded shift knob. I think the factory hurst shifter uses the factory upper stick and knob, which is actually what I am using on my aftermarket shifter.

I don't know if the factory hurst shifter has a two piece shaft though, maybe somebody else here can answer that.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:07 AM   #8
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by batone View Post
I have the factory hurst short throw shifter, although I am not concerned about shift speeds( i have no plans to race mine), the T handle shifter will not change the height of the shifter much if any. The factory shifter doesnt have a "ball", it has an odd shaped leather covered knob. I just dont like the feel of it.
If you have the factory Hurst short throw shifter, you will have to swap out the entire shifter for an aftermarket shifter. The factory Hurst short throw shifter uses the factory shift knob and attachment method, which means that the knob is pressed on to the shaft. All these people who are saying that you can just screw the knob off and screw on another one think you have an aftermarket Hurst short throw shifter, which is a completely different design.
There's a thread on this site where someone removed the pressed on knob and actually threaded the top of the shaft with a dye, so he could use an aftermarket knob on a factory shaft. It worked, but it seemed like a lot of trouble to me, just to avoid doing the obvious thing....replacing the shifter with an aftermarket one.
I agree with you about the factory 2010-12 shift knob. It's awful. It was one of the first things that had to go in my car. I replaced my shifter with a MGW shifter. I ordered the shifter with a "ZL1" shaft. This allows me to use a 2013-14 shift knob and boot, which is a huge improvement. Hope this helps.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:09 AM   #9
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo09 View Post
I think you will need to replace the upper part of the shifter in order to use a threaded shift knob. I think the factory hurst shifter uses the factory upper stick and knob, which is actually what I am using on my aftermarket shifter.

I don't know if the factory hurst shifter has a two piece shaft though, maybe somebody else here can answer that.
I think he will have to replace the entire shifter.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:09 AM   #10
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo09 View Post
I believe you can get shorter sticks from hurst for the billet plus two.

I have to look into that.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:17 AM   #11
dcarlos55

Drives: 2017 HBM A10 ZL1
Talk to Hurst. The aftermarket shifter comes with 2 shifter rods. One is threaded and 1 is for the press on factory shift ball. Hope the factory Hurst has a bolted on arm so you can change to the threaded one. I tried to thread my original factory shifter but I wasn't having much luck so I just swapped to the aftermarket Hurst. I probably could have taken the factory shifter out and had the end turned down and threaded but I decided that if I had to take it out I wasn't going to put it back in.

Maybe the guy above using the press on for his aftermarket shifter will sell you the threaded one cheap.

BTW: I love my T-Handle.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:33 PM   #12
batone
2012 2SS/RS vert 6spd

Yep, some confusion as to what I had, mine is not screw on, it is pressed on. What I was hoping for with the initial post was to see if there was an adapter that would press onto the factory shift rod and accept a threaded knob or handle. Really don't want to change the entire shifter, but may have to. Makes no sense that hurst would put that in a car and limit what you could do with it! Then again, I am beginning to think anything that makes sense is never done. Thanks for all the replies, if I figure it out, I'll come back and post.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:40 PM   #13
Whitey 22lr

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Black, MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky1974 View Post
If you have the factory Hurst short throw shifter, you will have to swap out the entire shifter for an aftermarket shifter. The factory Hurst short throw shifter uses the factory shift knob and attachment method, which means that the knob is pressed on to the shaft. All these people who are saying that you can just screw the knob off and screw on another one think you have an aftermarket Hurst short throw shifter, which is a completely different design.
There's a thread on this site where someone removed the pressed on knob and actually threaded the top of the shaft with a dye, so he could use an aftermarket knob on a factory shaft. It worked, but it seemed like a lot of trouble to me, just to avoid doing the obvious thing....replacing the shifter with an aftermarket one.
I agree with you about the factory 2010-12 shift knob. It's awful. It was one of the first things that had to go in my car. I replaced my shifter with a MGW shifter. I ordered the shifter with a "ZL1" shaft. This allows me to use a 2013-14 shift knob and boot, which is a huge improvement. Hope this helps.
Jus in case someone is interested, see this post about threading the stock shifter.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154016

Whitey
Whitey 22lr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:08 AM   #14
batone
2012 2SS/RS vert 6spd

Yeah, that has "Murphy" written all over it. I have no desire to try to thread the shifter rod. My luck I would screw it up then the stock wouldn't go back on. I found a company that appears to have shift balls that will work with the stock setup. I have emailed them, I'll let y'all know what they say. Have I mentioned that I hate the stock shift knob??