Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 07-23-2018, 07:55 AM   #15
gbeaty

Drives: lots
Is this at the FIRM? What was the best time the car ran?

Thanks.
gbeaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:20 AM   #16
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeaty View Post
Is this at the FIRM? What was the best time the car ran?

Thanks.
The best time it ran with me driving was a 1:18.86 - i have a friend who is a much superior driver to me who ran it a 1:17.79 so he’s nearly a full second faster than i am.
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:45 PM   #17
Jeff.N

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
Probably preaching to the choir at this point, but i figured i'd share. I scooped a 17 SS 1 LE up last month, changed brake fluid, oil and did a track alignment. I did my first event at my local track in it on Saturday and all i can say is wow. I was quite skeptical on buying a camaro for track use. I read and researched this car to no end, but i couldn't imagine it being faster than my E46 M3 on slicks weighing 2900 lbs. That car was a rocket.

Simply put, I bested my E46 M3 time by a second which i knew that car VERY well, and my e92 m3 time by 2 seconds. All on the first day out, on stock pads. Excited to see what this car can do with more seat time.

My friend and "co driver" bested my times by another second, as he is a much better and more experienced driver than me, and bested his time in my E46 m3 by another second. All around a 1:20 track. Can not believe this car is this good out of the box.

This car is just...better. Better than the E46 TT car, better than my track prepped E90 m3, and better than the C6 Z06 I had for a short while (that was on stock runflats, so i can't really do a FAIR comparison. Well, i guess it is stock for stock, i can!). It stays so poised on track, and instills confidence to drive. The BMW's were great cars, but I can't get over how well this car handles its weight and power.

It was 96 degrees on a muggy day in central Florida, and according to cosworth, my max oil temp was 266, and max water temp was 217. Could not believe i did not have any cooling issues in this muggy heat. We ran 20-30 minute sessions (open track) and the car did not blink.

For anyone on this forum looking into buying these for the track, do not hesitate. Chevy did a great job with this thing. "But it's a camaro" - Says the BMW crowd. Whatever that means, I'm a believer.

I'll get some PDR vids up here soon. Thanks for listening.
It was nice meeting you out at the firm, I was the other black 1LE. My 1LE is the first rear wheel drive car I've tracked, and it was an absolute blast to drive. With my little experience in the car I was able to run consistent 1:22's with a lot of room to improve after watching my PDR videos. Hope to see you out there again soon!

Last edited by Jeff.N; 07-26-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Jeff.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 02:22 PM   #18
Apex_Missing_Ape

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
I'm glad I read this. I bought this car specifically because I want to track it without worrying about it breaking and so that I could daily drive it. It was a decision between the SS 1LE and 981 Cayman GTS, but in the end new>used (+ the extra 115 HP helped!) . I haven't had it out to my local track yet (Barber) but I will in October. I can hardly wait to see what it can do. My last track day was in a track prepped E90 at the Nurburgring, so after reading how you like it more than your E46 I am feeling pretty damn happy with my decision. Too bad I can't take my 1LE to the ring.
Apex_Missing_Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:49 PM   #19
Move_Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex_Missing_Ape View Post
I'm glad I read this. I bought this car specifically because I want to track it without worrying about it breaking and so that I could daily drive it. It was a decision between the SS 1LE and 981 Cayman GTS, but in the end new>used (+ the extra 115 HP helped!) . I haven't had it out to my local track yet (Barber) but I will in October. I can hardly wait to see what it can do. My last track day was in a track prepped E90 at the Nurburgring, so after reading how you like it more than your E46 I am feeling pretty damn happy with my decision. Too bad I can't take my 1LE to the ring.
It’s a great car. I’ll be at Barber with PBOC the weekend before thanksgiving.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:40 PM   #20
gbeaty

Drives: lots
Quote:
The best time it ran with me driving was a 1:18.86 - i have a friend who is a much superior driver to me who ran it a 1:17.79 so he’s nearly a full second faster than i am.
Wow, that is a good time for a stock car. Is it a M6? How is the front tire wear? Do you get a lot of inside-outside wear typical of a strut car?

Do you think you could flog it indefinitely at 10/10ths without anything (aside from the brakes and tires) overheating?

I may be joining you guys if I can find a grey 1SS 1LE M6 around here. I used to go out to the Firm all the time - I think I have about 40 track days out there in total.

Last edited by gbeaty; 07-27-2018 at 10:51 PM.
gbeaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:12 AM   #21
Move_Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeaty View Post
Wow, that is a good time for a stock car. Is it a M6? How is the front tire wear? Do you get a lot of inside-outside wear typical of a strut car?

Do you think you could flog it indefinitely at 10/10ths without anything (aside from the brakes and tires) overheating?

I may be joining you guys if I can find a grey 1SS 1LE M6 around here. I used to go out to the Firm all the time - I think I have about 40 track days out there in total.
I was pleased with the times, even for a stock car. Yep, all 1LE’s are m6’s. Driving wise, we beat up on it pretty good. I’m a 9/10th’s driver since I’m not winning anything lol. Had no heating issues whatsoever. Water temps stayed very low and my oil was just fine all day. It was 96 and HUMID out there, so if it didn’t have cooling problems that day, i doubt it ever will. Chevy did good with all these coolers. The Cosworth data is great to have for temps. Really cool.

The stock pads are actually quite good. Change the fluid to srf and go have fun. Tire wear with the track alignment is ok. I’m gonna grind the strut and slot the camber holes when i go 305 all around. Let me know when you’re out there!
Old 07-31-2018, 05:27 PM   #22
Dnfwm

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
I agree with everyone else. I have a honda race car (currently broken) which is stupid fast. The camaro turns a second to two a lap faster than my race car. I also owned a fully modded ISF with headers, exhaust, track pads and fluid and Penske double adjustable race coilovers, and the camaro runs a couple of seconds a lap faster than that car too.

As of now, I have ran 6 track days and I have won the two weekend time attack competitions with fields of about 20-25 highly modified cars. My brother brought out a newer mustang GT on slicks with exhaust, springs, intake and a tune and he got close to me in times (half a second slower). I run with 500 wheel Evo and STI full blown caged race cars. This Camaro is nuts!
Dnfwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:28 AM   #23
Texan4iu
BLEW BIU

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE Hyper Blue
Rookie track guy here. Went to Cresson, TX on Sunday. My first day on a track, ever. Wow this car made me look way better than I actually am. Lol. Another driver was there that had a brand new ZL1 1LE. It was his first time at a track as well. I caught him & kept up with him for the entire 20 minute session. I realize that he was NOT driving his car to it's full capability, but it was still a great experience. Even got to take my 17 year old son along for the rides, so I had an extra 200 lbs tagging along.

I love the quote in a previous post on this thread about "turning on cheat mode in a video game." Greatness!
Texan4iu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:31 PM   #24
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4iu View Post
Rookie track guy here. Went to Cresson, TX on Sunday. My first day on a track, ever. Wow this car made me look way better than I actually am. Lol. Another driver was there that had a brand new ZL1 1LE. It was his first time at a track as well. I caught him & kept up with him for the entire 20 minute session. I realize that he was NOT driving his car to it's full capability, but it was still a great experience. Even got to take my 17 year old son along for the rides, so I had an extra 200 lbs tagging along.

I love the quote in a previous post on this thread about "turning on cheat mode in a video game." Greatness!
If it was a course without a lot of high speed straights, the SS 1LE is not too far behind the ZL1 1LE in the handling department.

The ZL1 1LE has stickier tires and firmer shocks, the extra HP and Aero, will not make a big impact on a non-high speed track. Plus you have the lighter weight advantage.

Taking nothing away from the ZL1 1LE, but the SS 1LE is not that far behind handling wise, unless you are on a track like The Ring.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:41 PM   #25
Texan4iu
BLEW BIU

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
If it was a course without a lot of high speed straights, the SS 1LE is not too far behind the ZL1 1LE in the handling department.

The ZL1 1LE has stickier tires and firmer shocks, the extra HP and Aero, will not make a big impact on a non-high speed track. Plus you have the lighter weight advantage.

Taking nothing away from the ZL1 1LE, but the SS 1LE is not that far behind handling wise, unless you are on a track like The Ring.
Very true. Well said.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:01 PM   #26
Move_Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4iu View Post
Very true. Well said.
Hey Texan - it’s Alex from FB here
Old 11-01-2018, 01:08 PM   #27
Texan4iu
BLEW BIU

Quote:
Hey Texan - it’s Alex from FB here
Small world! Thanks for the posts & all your help.