Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 09-19-2014, 09:23 AM   #57
Z/28Dan

Drives: 2013 HWSE Indy Festial #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebeecamaro View Post
No way in hell would I ever drop $65K on a new car only to be sweatin' my @ss off in the typical balmy summertime weather in FL.

Then again, I wouldn't drop that kind of money on any Camaro ever again. I sold my 2013 ZL1 back in Feb and I'm still slapping myself silly for spending what I did on that car. That regret haunts me every day. :(
Is there a Mini Cooper forum you could be on?

Dan
Z/28Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #58
Spoolin

Drives: 2014 SW 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw View Post
i dont understand GM's pricing ladder and schedule and why prices "overlap" onto other models.
i dont see the value in a Z28 when there are other models which come quite close for less money. the ZL1 still seems to be the better value at alot lesss money. and if I was going to spend 75K for a chevy, i can buy a new 14 vette convertible for less and probably have just as fast a car, and one which has more market appeal and probalby hold its value better in the long run. the Z28 is so limited, which, could be good and bad. good in that the rairity of the vehicle could hold value, but, the bad that not as many people want it now, or maybe later.
I understand what your saying, $75K is alot to spend on a Camaro but value wise, it's easily one of the best bang for the bucks out there, handily eclipsing the ZL1, GTR, and others. It's just that GM gave people SOOOO much with this car in regards to technology, performance, engineering, etc...(And none of that is cheap) that it's price had to be a little higher than what the Camaro fan base is accustomed to.
They could of easily made it fit price wise between the 1LE and the ZL1 but GM wouldn't of been able to throw on the CCBrakes, the DSSV suspension and what not. Those exotic racing parts cost money, and there is no way I can see GM building a car just to lose money on it like Bugatti apparently does.
I would presume that if the public ever saw a price breakdown of what GM earns on each vehicle they produce, I would think the Z/28 is in the same ballpark as most every other vehicle that GM makes, I'm certain that the price of $75K wasn't determined as a means to price gouge their customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post

The Z/28 value proposition is emotion, visceral reward and track-focused engineering excellence.
I think this perfectly sums up what this car is.

Problem arose when GM chose to make it part of the Camaro line-up and use the Z/28 Moniker, it played on a huge fan base that has certain expectations of the car and of course it ruffled their feathers.

If people could step back and look at the car in a different light, not as a Camaro but as something completely different (as a brand new model maybe?) than they wouldn't have Price point expectations associated with the name Camaro Z/28 and judge the car not on it's labeling but on it's content and technology, then they would see what value it really is.
Spoolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:45 PM   #59
JackalopeZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin View Post
I understand what your saying, $75K is alot to spend on a Camaro but value wise, it's easily one of the best bang for the bucks out there, handily eclipsing the ZL1, GTR, and others. .
eclipsing? That is a pretty big word for beating either one of those cars listed by seconds on bigger road coarse tracks and fractions on smaller tracks.. Don't get me wrong the Z28 is a AWESOME car but people buy into the hype So hardcore it is amazing..

To me it is fun to see all of the performance choices out there today with cars.. We have come a long way
Old 09-19-2014, 04:41 PM   #60
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackalopeZL1 View Post
eclipsing? That is a pretty big word for beating either one of those cars listed by seconds on bigger road coarse tracks and fractions on smaller tracks.. Don't get me wrong the Z28 is a AWESOME car but people buy into the hype So hardcore it is amazing..

To me it is fun to see all of the performance choices out there today with cars.. We have come a long way
Beating a car by seconds while driving flat out is a wide margin, especially when those cars have significant power advantages.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 04:45 PM   #61
JackalopeZL1

I don't agree..
Old 09-19-2014, 05:27 PM   #62
Spoolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackalopeZL1 View Post

I'm not talking about lap times, hype or which is better. I'm talking about value, bang for the buck, what your money gets you. There are way faster and better cars out there than the Z/28, without a doubt. But for what you get in return for what your paying, you'd be hard pressed to find anything comparable. IMO

For instance The GTR Nismo is twice the price (at $150,000) and around VIR it's 1.5 seconds faster then the Z/28. The GTR is a sublime and incredible car to be sure but as far as bang for the buck... I think it's fair to say your dollar gets you more with the Z/28. It's not as fast around a track or in a straight line...but for $75K LESS, your right there in the thick of it mixing it up with 6 figure cars.

And FYI I've been called a troll and fanboy on other forum's for defending the GT-R's ever since they came out in 2007 because believe me I love them.
From 2007-2011 I think the GT-R was the best bang for the buck you could get (before their price hike). But today, with the introduction of the Z/28, value wise, I think you get more for your money with the Camaro.

Same with the ZL1, it's an incredible car and you get so much more for your money. But with only $17K difference between the two I think the Z/28 is a far better VALUE. Debating which is a better car is another story, I'm strictly talking about what you get for what you pay.

Maybe I'm wrong I dunno, but that's how I see it.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:34 PM   #63
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
People like you are why manufacturers so rarely invest the time, money and effort into creating truly amazing cars like the Z/28.

The Z/28 value proposition is emotion, visceral reward and track-focused engineering excellence.

Some people get it, some don't.
What's the base price of a stripped-down, no-options Camaro V6? $24,220 MSRP. To me it's something of a minor miracle that the Z/28 team created a car based around the core chassis of a $24K car, and that this vehicle -- the Z/28 -- is spanking cars that are triple it's price point on places like the Nordschleife.

People who don't get the value this car represents should look elsewhere instead of trash-talking the "overpriced Z/28". Before ordering mine I looked at many alternatives for track cars that I could drive to the circuit. The most promising of these was building out a Boss 302 to be, in essence, a streetable 302S. To do that properly was going to take more than $75K total, and the performance would have been eclipsed by the Z/28.

I have yet to hear anyone who's a dyed-in-the-wool road course racer talk this way. 100% of these folks -- including folks I meet at the track who are Mustang or Viper owners -- rave about my car. One guy I know has an insanely developed Z06 track car, with full aero and 750hp by Katech -- along with a curb weight that barely touches 3,000 pounds. He asked to ride with me at Thunderhill, and then proceeded to laugh out loud -- at the end of every straight -- about how insanely great the brakes on the Z/28 are.

People with track cred love the car. I don't much care about discussions that don't focus on the car's performance in the venue for which it was created...
Old 09-19-2014, 05:42 PM   #64
JackalopeZL1

Eclipse.. that is what I am talking about. No price mentioned.. but when speaking of price and I mean 15k less the zl1 runs right with it or close..

I absolutely LOVE the Z28, I caught myself drooling over it at the dealer and I would buy the z28 in a heart beat if it did not cost so much more than a zl1 which is close on the road course and beats it at the strip.. then everyday driver there is no comparison if that is your goal also. Both sweet cars but the ones listed AS "Eclipsed" are not eclipsed by the z28.. more like it just barely eaked out a better time..

In the end it Just come up with what you are planning to do with it, What your Justifications are for a car.. Sweet rides now go drive...lol

Last edited by JackalopeZL1; 09-19-2014 at 06:07 PM.
JackalopeZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:07 PM   #65
Blownhotrodder

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Guess it comes down to unless your looking for a track car its just not too good a value.
Blownhotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:28 PM   #66
Spoolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownhotrodder View Post
Guess it comes down to unless your looking for a track car its just not too good a value.
I would agree with that as well.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:39 PM   #67
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
Zfatuated, everyone looks at different things in a car. i am entitled to my opinion just like you are. i just dont see the price in a Z28 when it overshadows cars like the ZL1 and the vette. thats just me. its a limited market for a car like the z28.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:46 PM   #68
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Those of you saying that the Z/28 was designed for a limited and specific use and customer...Yeah Duh! Like has been said if you don't get it, it's not for you...buy something else and be happy with your purchase. JUST BE THANKFUL THAT GM HAS THE STONES TO DESIGN AND BUILD A CAR LIKE THIS!
Old 09-19-2014, 09:56 PM   #69
razorz28

Drives: 2017 Jeep Rubicon, 2016 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownhotrodder View Post
I kinda disagree with that statement, it is my 3rd car so when I drive it I am getting full value. It is a purpose built car and if you are a car guy it is hard not to love mountain roads and twisties. Not bad pulling up to a light and getting 10 thumbs up from around you as well. I've had both the ZL1 and the Z28 both great cars. If I had both I know which one I'd drive the majority of the time.

Oh if you are a hater of the Z28 it is because you cannot afford it or have your nose out of joint because you are trying to justify that your car is better. How can you be a hater of a car that is within a second of cars costing hundreds of thousand more.
2014 Z/28 Black VIN #176
razorz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:01 PM   #70
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
Quote:
People like you are why manufacturers so rarely invest the time, money and effort into creating truly amazing cars like the Z/28.

Some people get it, some don't.
It's a great street-legal track car. This is a given.

Some people want it, some don't. Not wanting to own one does not make anyone less of an enthusiast or, as some would suggest, a "hater".

Last edited by titanfan; 09-20-2014 at 07:14 AM.
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote