Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 02-04-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Sticky Tires = Excessive Rock Chips ??

Just curious. I was wondering if the sticky compound would throw excessive small rocks marring rear quarter panels prematurely.

I see only two solutions, neither of which I like:

1) Mudflap/rockguards
2) Clear Bra

I could look in the Accessory forum which I will but I feel this is a ZL1 issue (vs Std Camaro Issue) based on tires specific to ZL1 and it may be of help to ZL1 folks.

If anyone has a preferred mudflap, please advise reco's/links! Thanks!
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
The current P-Zero tires have the same problem if you drive a lot of gravel roads. Here in Florida for everyday driving, there hasn't been a problem for me with either car. The only chip I've got in two years, is one on the gill of the SS. The only other ones would be on the inner lip of the front fender where it hooks to the wheel well. I have around 32k mile between the two cars, and the paint has held up rather well for water based.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
Drake Heminger

Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51
my road has a lil gravel on it :/
Old 02-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
it kind of depends on the car design.

I had an 08 Z51 that had the goodyear F1 supercars did not really suffer much of an issue. on my Z06 with the wide rear fenders it is the front kicker rocks at the rear quarters. So on it to solve the issue you eather clear bra the rear quarte area by the brake ducts, run apis front fender flares.

The sucky thing about his is getting somone do design a product that does not may the car look stupid.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
1st Gen Forever
ZL1 #140

Drives: Camaros: 68 SS, 10 2SS/RS, 12 ZL1
I think the clear bra is going to be the best option. I'm not speaking from experience on that though as I'm still trying to find out definitively if the clear bra itself leaves damaged paint when removed for fresh clear bra install every three years or so.

Reason I don't think mud flaps will work is the aerodynamic changes on the ZL1 have altered the wheel wells. There's plastic bits extending out from the wheel wells for air flow. That will both make the existing Camaro accessory mudflaps not fit and the mudflaps themselves will change the aerodynamics...
1st Gen Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
LS1hawk

Drives: 11 SGM 2SS/RS
It all depends on the type of roads where you live. Here, they love to tar and chip the roads, but the chips don't stay in the tar!
Old 02-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #7
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st Gen Forever View Post
I think the clear bra is going to be the best option. I'm not speaking from experience on that though as I'm still trying to find out definitively if the clear bra itself leaves damaged paint when removed for fresh clear bra install every three years or so.

Reason I don't think mud flaps will work is the aerodynamic changes on the ZL1 have altered the wheel wells. There's plastic bits extending out from the wheel wells for air flow. That will both make the existing Camaro accessory mudflaps not fit and the mudflaps themselves will change the aerodynamics...
A clear bra will NOT damage the paint. Period. They have been used for almost 20 years now and if they damaged the paint the industry would have died quickly. Go to any car show and look at the high end cars there. You will be hard pressed to find one without a clear bra. Now would they put film on a car knowing it would damage the paint??? No. I have pulled numerous clear bra kits that have been on cars for up to 8 years.... and the paint was perfect underneath the film.

The Camaro (SS or ZL1) will have a lot of damage no matter what tires are run on the car. It is a combination of the paint quality and the design of the car. If you drive it, it will chip.
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:10 AM   #8
RockyS18

Drives: .
The Pirelli P-Zero's that come on the ZL-1 are very sticky tires. While they increase performance, it is true that they will pick up little pebbles and such. While I can't be sure if this is true for the Camaro, on other cars (such as Ferraris, and other super cars) you can hear the rocks coming off the tires and hitting the metal under the car. You just have to take it easy on gravel roads, otherwise once you get onto main roads it is all good.
RockyS18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #9
george
ZL1 Driver

Drives: Camaro ZL1 & BMW M3/E92
First stop is a clear bra for me. The front end and side gills eat rocks all day long on that body. For me (totally OCD about the paint) it's a good investment for the car. I have an estimate to do the entire front end (both fenders and hood) as well as sides (to include rocker panels) and back bumper for $1500.

George
george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #10
1MtnGoat

Drives: '12 SIM ZL1, 1 of 49
P-Zero's don't come on the Zl1. But yes the tires are a bit sticky.
1MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #11
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
I live on a dirt road, and drive slow. My Pirellis are sticky and tiny rocks do stick to them then get flung up on my gills. As a result I have a lot of chipping now and I have mudflaps but they aren't working. Next I'll have to put 3M film down, I guess, to keep it from getting worse :(

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #12
tsnow

Drives: 12' ZL1, AGM 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by htp autoworks View Post
A clear bra will NOT damage the paint. Period. They have been used for almost 20 years now and if they damaged the paint the industry would have died quickly. Go to any car show and look at the high end cars there. You will be hard pressed to find one without a clear bra. Now would they put film on a car knowing it would damage the paint??? No. I have pulled numerous clear bra kits that have been on cars for up to 8 years.... and the paint was perfect underneath the film.

The Camaro (SS or ZL1) will have a lot of damage no matter what tires are run on the car. It is a combination of the paint quality and the design of the car. If you drive it, it will chip.

How long does it usually take for these clear film companys to produce a pre cut for new models?
tsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #13
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Considering the lower-skirt additions to the rear quarter panel...it's possible that rock chips/road-rash may not be as big of a concern as on the SS...
Old 02-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #14
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsnow View Post
How long does it usually take for these clear film companys to produce a pre cut for new models?
It all depends. If a limited edition car like the ZL1 comes out, the first ones are pretty much pre-sold so they dont sit at the dealer. They need to be therer for half a day for the pattern companies to go out and pattern one off. For the ZL1 though it will just be a bumper change so it should be out pretty quick. I will check around and see if anyone has a kit already since it will be a big seller.
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote