Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-09-2009, 01:11 PM   #29
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Air quality is the reason guys in high altitudes make less horsepower and thus get slower times. Same thing applies here. Try dynoing the car when humidity is below 10% and the temperature is in the 70's.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:12 PM   #30
MTron

Drives: 99 Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTron View Post
actually, on further inspection, those seem very wonky...

i mean run 1, the torque and hp curves are nearly idenicel.....very strange....as well the A/F graph is messed...took a major plunge at 4.5 k rpm to 10:1....NOT normal and 200lb feet of torque at 4000 rpm...i mean....wow...not normal
-run 2 you A:F is low, and your torque is taking a dive, but more normal then the first
-run 3, same issues as 1, A/F dive at 4k rpm torque too low for the rpm at 4000
I still stick to my original opinion, the runs are to inconsistent with other dyno's of the L99....i mean look at the torque values in the 2-4000 rpm ranges, as well as a very inconsistent A/F mix

I think there is defiantly a problem

Just because your car makes the correct peak power (which is still a bit low) really doesnt tell the whole story, the area under the curve, for both the torque and hp are way too low over the entire rpm band for it to be normal, look at this graph Stock L99 as seen in this post (the bottom graph has the L99 making above 275 lbft of torque at 2500 rpm) http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...01&postcount=9

another L99 dyno

Last edited by MTron; 07-09-2009 at 01:22 PM.
MTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:13 PM   #31
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post

This is a brand new car under warranty. I sure hate having to deal with this.

I've pretty much blew my wad as far as time to run around. I'm in doo doo now for being gone yesterday for a while and all this morning.

What about the fuel mixture. It dipped BELOW 10 at one point.

My car has an STD?

Don't know what SAE numbers are.
LOL ... they are just different correction standards. STD correction vs SAE correction.

After some reading it looks like STD correction should show a little higher numbers and SAE correction .. hmm I was thinking STD was more uncorrected .. Maybe someone with a little more knowledge can chime in.

The "SAE Air Correction Factor" which is used by all the dyno guys is:

SAE CF = 1.18[Ps/(Pm-Pv)][sqrt(Tm/Ts)]-0.18
(sqrt = square root)

This formula is right out of SAE Paper #J1349 (revision June 1990), and is the latest form of the air correction formula. SAE assumes 15% frictional loss within the engine, which is probably close for a piston engine. NOTE: this is NOT the losses from the crankshaft to the rear wheels, that is a different loss.

Ps = standard pressure
Pm = measured pressure (barometric pressure)
Pv = vapor pressure of water (relates to RH%)
Ts = standard temperature
Tm = measured temperature

The SAE baseline values are:
------------------------------------
Ps = 29.235 inHg
Ts = 77.0 deg F (534 deg R)
Pv = 0 inHg (dry air, no humidity)

The STD correction just corrects to different values ..

Crowley
Old 07-09-2009, 01:14 PM   #32
matt55

Drives: CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
Just noticed that it showed the STD numbers.

irpq11 do you have access to the SAE numbers? It is a little easier to compare across different dynos (although still shouldn't be comparied). SAE numbers should correct to a higher number.
THanks,
Crowley

EDIT you just posted the samething i did
Old 07-09-2009, 01:23 PM   #33
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Air quality is the reason guys in high altitudes make less horsepower and thus get slower times. Same thing applies here. Try dynoing the car when humidity is below 10% and the temperature is in the 70's.
Well, he showed me the Dyno car he did yesterday and some others. NONE of them had a air/fuel dip like mine did. This guy said he would take it to the deler if it were me and tell them to fix the damn thing.

His words. He said it's wayyyyy wrong.

Quote:
LOL ... they are just different correction standards. STD correction vs SAE correction.

Crowley
Can they be figured after the fact?
Old 07-09-2009, 01:29 PM   #34
matt55

Drives: CTS-V
Wait you have the 21'' rims (heavy?) right , that will rob HP on the Dyno .
But the A/F's do look wack ...
Old 07-09-2009, 01:32 PM   #35
Crowley
Okie doke

Quote:
Well, he showed me the Dyno car he did yesterday and some others. NONE of them had a air/fuel dip like mine did. This guy said he would take it to the deler if it were me and tell them to fix the damn thing.

His words. He said it's wayyyyy wrong.

Can they be figured after the fact?
Yes, he should have saved the infomration. He can pull your dyno pulls back up and apply the correction factors and show the updated numbers. Again, this could show a lower number for SAE if that is how I am reading things.

As someone mentioned, it would have been interesting to see a dyno pull w/ your air filter removed .. just to see if it was a major restriction.

Crowley
Old 07-09-2009, 01:40 PM   #36
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Yes, he should have saved the infomration. He can pull your dyno pulls back up and apply the correction factors and show the updated numbers. Again, this could show a lower number for SAE if that is how I am reading things.

As someone mentioned, it would have been interesting to see a dyno pull w/ your air filter removed .. just to see if it was a major restriction.

Crowley
:( Damn. He kept smiling and saying that. I think he was fishing for me to tell him to do it so he wouldn't have to ask. Then he may feel liable or something.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:42 PM   #37
Crowley
Okie doke

Quote:
:( Damn. He kept smiling and saying that. I think he was fishing for me to tell him to do it so he wouldn't have to ask. Then he may feel liable or something.
Quick question .. since it is hard to really compare results from different dynos, does your guy have any other 2010 Auto Camaro dynos on the same dyno? Just curious as to the results for the other ones (if there are other ones).

Crowley
Old 07-09-2009, 02:03 PM   #38
MTron

Drives: 99 Grand Prix
Quote:

yea...if he suggested it and for whatever reason something got sucked into the engine a case could be made for him to be liable...

with all the mention of an airfilter....it could actually be a reasonable explanation

i believe motortrend or car and driver (cant remember) had a problem with a GT500 not producing the right amount of HP because of a de-laminated airfilter. A new air filter from Ford apparently fixed it right up
MTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:07 PM   #39
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Quick question .. since it is hard to really compare results from different dynos, does your guy have any other 2010 Auto Camaro dynos on the same dyno? Just curious as to the results for the other ones (if there are other ones).

Crowley
Nope. These guys were checking the car out just like we all did when we first saw one. So they hadn't done one before. Another thing to note. This is a ricer tune shop, so don't know.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:11 PM   #40
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:

Crowley
That's where a Camaro Dyno day will come in handy...

Old 07-09-2009, 02:16 PM   #41
LDGn63

Drives: WNABEE
FWIW... removing the air filter got me 10RWHP on my LS3... food for thought.

i am waiting for the Vararam... but may buy a K&N filter in the meantime...
that means that the mirror is 38.75% the size of the vertical windshield...
it sure seems like the ratio could be better... just sayin....

our collective MIRROR patch:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24612
LDGn63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:20 PM   #42
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Try dynoing the car when humidity is below 10% and the temperature is in the 70's.
You haven't been to southern Alabama/Louisiana/Georgia/Mississippi in the summer have you??? (just ribbing you a bit)
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote