Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-11-2008, 11:18 PM   #1
Lifted07Sierra

Drives: 2007 gmc sierra
DI on the 3.6 but why not the 6.2?

If it gets good gas mileage and more power and all that jazz. Why not have DI on the 6.2 also?
Lifted07Sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:33 PM   #2
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted07Sierra View Post
If it gets good gas mileage and more power and all that jazz. Why not have DI on the 6.2 also?
because this isn't a Gen V motor. it's still a Gen IV (LS2, LS7, LS3, LSA, and LS9). the GEN V motors are suppose to have the DI. but with all the talk about gas mileage and wot not they have scaled back on V-8 engine development. so who knows when the GEN V will be out.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:49 PM   #3
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
because this isn't a Gen V motor. it's still a Gen IV (LS2, LS7, LS3, LSA, and LS9). the GEN V motors are suppose to have the DI. but with all the talk about gas mileage and wot not they have scaled back on V-8 engine development. so who knows when the GEN V will be out.
As with all previous generations of GM motors, expect the next generation to be revolutionary. For standard equipment, expect GM to include new technologies not offered by the competition. Unlike the competition, GM will likely offer this as a standard for the next generation. Competitors may offer this in an engine or two, but GM will outperform in every category. Knowing this makes it hard to support another brand in the same way.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:51 PM   #4
Myka
ritired suthern gentlman

Drives: nothing now
They want to save money by giving the camaro a corvette hand-me-down. When the Corvette gets the DI, expect the camaro to get the same soon. And I guess the 'vette hasn't gotten DI because they sell too well to justify investing in new engine technology. The cadillac, on the other hand, had been criticized a lot for being underpowered etc; so they needed a better engine in there. That is where the 3.6 DI came in.
Myka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:08 AM   #5
Lifted07Sierra

Drives: 2007 gmc sierra
The cobalt is not DI correct?

Youd think theyd be rushing to get this type of technology out into their cars to gain another 20% in fuel economy
Lifted07Sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:19 AM   #6
Shadowsong

Drives: 2014 Mustang
Quote:

Youd think theyd be rushing to get this type of technology out into their cars to gain another 20% in fuel economy
I believe the Cobalt SS/TC is DI
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:06 AM   #7
asrapid

Drives: Stratus
There is also 1.4 l I4 with DI coming..but that probably doesn't interes you too much.
Latest rumors I've read is that Gen V (which should bring DI on LS..if that will be code for the engine) will come with corvette which is delayed couple of months again. They are talking about 2012-'13 now . Also it seems there won't be 3.x V6 with TT . It is the latest cancelation due to money problem GM is having. I just hope they don't go and decide not to invest in gen V engine.
asrapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:15 AM   #8
asrapid

Drives: Stratus
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
As with all previous generations of GM motors, expect the next generation to be revolutionary. For standard equipment, expect GM to include new technologies not offered by the competition. Unlike the competition, GM will likely offer this as a standard for the next generation. Competitors may offer this in an engine or two, but GM will outperform in every category. Knowing this makes it hard to support another brand in the same way.
What do you mean by competition? If you mean Ferrari, Porsche vs Vette, they do offer DI in their lineup. And i think that by 2012 (or whenever this engine is supposed to come) more and more company (like audi, mercedese etc) will offer even more technology in their models. Gen V is 4 years. Many things can happen until then.
asrapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:00 AM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:

Who says they're not?
It's more difficult than simply swapping heads out for a Direct-Injected version...that's why they want to offer it in a brand new engine lineup: the Gen V's. They're supposed to debut in 2011 (but don't quote me; things have changed).
Old 08-12-2008, 10:52 AM   #10
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
pretty much what I stated.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:59 AM   #11
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:

The Cobalt SS turbocharged 2.0L is DI as is the Saturn Sky Redline and Solstice GXP.
I think all new Engines GM comes out with will be DI from now on.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:24 PM   #12
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
I imagine its not a simple 'bolt on', for one thing. Secondly, based on the power gains on the 3.6L, a 6.2 would be making ~500 hp. They will do it soon enough though. I am expecting that we might see a 5.7L making about 450 hp, getting something around 26 mpg or more on the highway, in the Camaro (2012 MY?). Just some guesstimations . . .
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:28 PM   #13
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by asrapid View Post
What do you mean by competition? If you mean Ferrari, Porsche vs Vette, they do offer DI in their lineup. And i think that by 2012 (or whenever this engine is supposed to come) more and more company (like audi, mercedese etc) will offer even more technology in their models. Gen V is 4 years. Many things can happen until then.
I don't think there's much to the Ferrari-Chevrolet rivalry. I'm talking about the more mainstream companies. I know that there are exceptions, but I expect every Generation V motor to feature these sorts of technology while other companies will take more time to catch up to these innovations.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:51 PM   #14
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Who says they're not?
It's more difficult than simply swapping heads out for a Direct-Injected version...that's why they want to offer it in a brand new engine lineup: the Gen V's. They're supposed to debut in 2011 (but don't quote me; things have changed).
I'm planning on getting my Camaro in summer of 2012, so even with a delay hopefully they'll get the Gen Vs out by then. If I'm really lucky, they'll also bless it by pairing it with a nice DCT.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote