The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 11-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #1
smola

Drives: 2014
non npp exhaust tips change

I have standard exhaust system on my vette, and I like it , the only problem is look of the exhaust tips. It would be great if this could be changed.
I have asked Corsa if I could buy black chromed tips only, but they refused. Has anyone changed standard tips to 4.5 '' ones?
smola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:40 PM   #2
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
I haven't yet done it, but have looked at what would be involved. On our non-NPP exhaust there is a single exit pipe from each muffler. This then does a "Y" to a dual tip, giving the 4 total. Because of this, none of the tips from Corsa, Borla or Magnaflow intended for their cat-back systems will work - they all use 2 exit pipes from each muffler, much like the NPP. You would need to find a "Y" tip with sizes to fit both the stock muffler outlet and the show diameter you want. Sadly, there aren't many I could find to choose from, with only Stainless Works having high quality. There may be others, but I didn't find any myself. As a final challenge, the factory tips are welded to the mufflers as an assembly. The stock tips would need to be cut off and the new tips clamped or welded in place. I suggest a high quality stainless band clamp, but again its tricky to find the right one - the length from the muffler to the end of the tips is not great, so you will need to make sure you don't cut the stock tips off too close to the muffler, that the new tips aren't too long or too wide for the opening and that there is enough pipe on both for band clamps to fit. There may be additional options possible that I haven't thought of. It will be interesting to see what people do for this.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:00 PM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Yeah, i would think one of the vendors that sells all the appearance stuff would see this as a huge opp for a set of high quality bolt ons that would replica the NPP system. The z51 wheels are out, so should this.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:08 PM   #4
NC C7

Drives: 2014 CRT C7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Yeah, i would think one of the vendors that sells all the appearance stuff would see this as a huge opp for a set of high quality bolt ons that would replica the NPP system. The z51 wheels are out, so should this.
Who has the Z51 Wheels?
NC C7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:32 PM   #5
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Dunno, they are replicas, cast, not forged, somewhere on the sites....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:45 PM   #6
smola

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleRac3r View Post
I haven't yet done it, but have looked at what would be involved. On our non-NPP exhaust there is a single exit pipe from each muffler. This then does a "Y" to a dual tip, giving the 4 total. Because of this, none of the tips from Corsa, Borla or Magnaflow intended for their cat-back systems will work - they all use 2 exit pipes from each muffler, much like the NPP. You would need to find a "Y" tip with sizes to fit both the stock muffler outlet and the show diameter you want. Sadly, there aren't many I could find to choose from, with only Stainless Works having high quality. There may be others, but I didn't find any myself. As a final challenge, the factory tips are welded to the mufflers as an assembly. The stock tips would need to be cut off and the new tips clamped or welded in place. I suggest a high quality stainless band clamp, but again its tricky to find the right one - the length from the muffler to the end of the tips is not great, so you will need to make sure you don't cut the stock tips off too close to the muffler, that the new tips aren't too long or too wide for the opening and that there is enough pipe on both for band clamps to fit. There may be additional options possible that I haven't thought of. It will be interesting to see what people do for this.
Corsa uses 2 outlets , exactly like non npp, so the only change would be maching the diameter, but as I have written , they said no.
I think it is quite easy to do, the only problem are goog quality exhaust tips.
I have checked ebay, and I have found some 4.5'' ones but as I am from Europe , I wouldn't like to buying and finding out it is a crap.
If someone knows good quality tips, please let me know and supply photos of it, than I will be the first one to make it . Technical details and photos will be supplied, so that you could do it as well.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:13 AM   #7
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
I would give Stainless Works a good look. They sell mirror polished tips in a variety of sizes and styles. I have a pair of their tips on my '74 Stingray and they look great! I went with 3-1/2" tips as anything larger was too out of scale for the much narrower C3 body. They are a straight cut double wall tip with a rolled edge, much like the stock non-NPP tip. I do know they list "Y" tips, just not sure if they are the right length. And you're right - Corsa does use single outlet mufflers. I suspect their tips wouldn't be spaced correctly for stock mufflers, since the tip is a single assembly with no ability for adjustment.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:12 AM   #8
smola

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polished-Ang...aae95c&vxp=mtr
According to stainless works web site they have only 4'' ones, the one on e-bay is 4.5'' but I am not sure about its quality. It is single wall so I think it is not good.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:18 AM   #9
smola

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...=main&id=12218

looks nice , what do you think of it? I think it should be ok.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:03 PM   #10
third1
speed freak

Drives: 2015i Cadillac Escalade,10 IOM 2ss
Solo Performance
Current:2015i Cadilac Escalade,2016 Lexus RC350,2011 CVO StreetGlide cammed,tuned & loud. 2010 IMO/IO,custom stripes,GFX,sunrf,solo exhaust,JBA shorties,rotofab,Jannetty tune,Pfadt,JLw6 Audison&Hertz,7/4/09 2GIFKIEJ6A9123779Del 7/10/09
Former Camaros 72 LT1 Z28, 86 z28
[SIGPIC]
third1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:21 PM   #11
smola

Ok , I have asked them if they could prepare it.
I have question for npp owners, what is the width of one pair of exhast tips in npp ehaust. According to my calculation it should be 9.5'', but I would be gratfull if somebody could double check it. I would like to know total width of the all four tips ( it looks like 19,5'')
Old 11-04-2014, 06:44 PM   #12
regguy1

Drives: 2014 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC C7 View Post
Who has the Z51 Wheels?
Here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121437689836...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
regguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:21 PM   #13
NC C7

Drives: 2014 CRT C7