Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-19-2011, 11:33 AM   #897
GJG

Drives: 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
+1 yeah... he doesn't want to hang out with us nerds...
+2....and I was looking forward to the photo shoot with PQ.....
Old 01-19-2011, 11:36 AM   #898
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
...The nightmare is not having anyone in Mobile, or even lower Alabama for that matter, that does tuning.
well, there's one here... it'd just be another 2 weeks before he could even get to it

Quote:
It's the cat delete mainly. The rear O2s read all that fuel and throw it off. At least that's what I'm told. It'll run. Just way too lean.
i'm with the next quote, but why don't you just unplug the rear O2s to see what that does?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMRULZ View Post
Hmmm.. My understanding has been that all the rear o2`s do is read if the cats are working properly or not and cause a mil light if they are not working properly, but otherwise don`t do anything to a/f adjustments which are handled by the front o2`s. Perhaps there is some sort of limp mode thats activated when the rear o2`s show insufficient cat activity? I`m not a tuner just a shade tree guy. So one of those guys (tuners) hopefully can chime in on exactly why the rear o2`s cause this issue. Inquiring minds want to know.

Very sorry about your frustration though, I went through it on mine w/ the old GM operating system. So been there done that and got the badge...Lol..
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:39 AM   #899
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJG View Post
I was looking forward to the photo shoot with Bonnie!
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:15 PM   #900
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
...... why don't you just unplug the rear O2s to see what that does?
I never thought about it. I'm gonna do it tonight. Might as well. I gotta start on the ball joints and brakes on the Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
Not quite a thousand anymore.

Seriously though...hope everything gets squared away soon. I would've already pulled every hair out of my head by now. You have much more patience than I do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Hose View Post
WERD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
+1 yeah... he doesn't want to hang out with us nerds...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJG View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
I was looking forward to the photo shoot with Bonnie!

Bonnies brother who lives in Houston said the same thing.

I forgot the price was 1400.00 WITH the tune. Here it was 1400.00 install only. So I was kind of basing it on that. But even after gas and all, I'll be 800.00 to the good. Gas to J-Ville or gas to Houston is the same. 500.00 for the tune makes 900.00 savings. Trailer rental, 70.00 so I"m still doing good.

And anyway, I'll see all you knuckleheads at the fest.

And Bonnies coming now so that's kinda bonus. lol
Old 01-19-2011, 12:49 PM   #901
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Yup. Zebra is coming with me and we are using his truck to pull my car to GTAHVITs plave. There, in Jacksonville, we will have EFI tune my car.
Awwh... yeah. That's the thing to do. My installer uses EFI Live, it's a great tool, and a good tuner will have you up and running in no time at all. I know someone who has headers, and cat delete who is planning an SC install, but doesn't have it yet. The installer is also a very skilled tuner with EFI so I don't think there will be any issues. If they had it done already I'd be able to ask some questions on your behalf, but I think they're waiting for the springtime.
In any case I'm sure things will get sorted out once you start to dial things in with EFI.
Can't wait to hear the good news. Cheers.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:10 PM   #902
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
The rear O2's have no effect on fueling or engine performance in any way. They are only there to report to the ECM on the cat efficiency.

After a lot of driving with no cats, but the rear O2s active in the tune, the only thing that will happen is a check engine light and error code for cat efficiency.

All engine fueling trim adjustments are done off the front O2s. Something else is probably up there, a good tuner should be able to figure it out. Just don't let them go straight to wide open throttle to redline, until digging into what may be causing the trouble codes.

Probably just some little pesky snafu somewhere another set of tuning eyes should be able to find. The engine should be able to idle fine on that base Maggie tune. It's still a stock engine, trying to idle at stock RPM, the air and fuel requirements should be fairly baseline. It's like an air pump. It's still a stock air pump trying to run at 600 rpm. Now if the cam was significantly changed or cubic inches upped... that's when a baseline tune can really have a tough time idling. Because the base airpump has changed significantly. But a stock engine idling at 600 rpm under no load or boost, is going to have a pretty baseling idle fuel requirement. Even if it had open headers or free flowing intake. Assuming the MAF is reading correctly.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:18 PM   #903
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
last saturday, it was idling around 500ish
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:41 PM   #904
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
The rear O2's have no effect on fueling or engine performance in any way. They are only there to report to the ECM on the cat efficiency.

After a lot of driving with no cats, but the rear O2s active in the tune, the only thing that will happen is a check engine light and error code for cat efficiency.

All engine fueling trim adjustments are done off the front O2s. Something else is probably up there, a good tuner should be able to figure it out. Just don't let them go straight to wide open throttle to redline, until digging into what may be causing the trouble codes.

Probably just some little pesky snafu somewhere another set of tuning eyes should be able to find. The engine should be able to idle fine on that base Maggie tune. It's still a stock engine, trying to idle at stock RPM, the air and fuel requirements should be fairly baseline. It's like an air pump. It's still a stock air pump trying to run at 600 rpm. Now if the cam was significantly changed or cubic inches upped... that's when a baseline tune can really have a tough time idling. Because the base airpump has changed significantly. But a stock engine idling at 600 rpm under no load or boost, is going to have a pretty baseling idle fuel requirement. Even if it had open headers or free flowing intake. Assuming the MAF is reading correctly.
Hmmmmmm..............

Well, I'm at a total loss then. And I will just wait to get to the tuner. I've done everything discussed. Even started it without the blower pump plugged in. Maybe something is broke?
Old 01-19-2011, 02:59 PM   #905
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
We'll know in 2 days and a wake up.

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:17 PM   #906
BlownSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Im hoping that everything goes well for ya! Just finished my gauge install today and while looking at my gleaming maggie, I felt bad (about 6 seconds) for you and your tuning ordeal. All will be better soon I hope!
2010 IOM SS/RS LS3, Hennessey HPE550 Polished Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger. 3.4 Pulley. Kooks long tube headers / high flow cats. GHL Full exhaust. ZL1 Fuel Pump/ADM FPCM. MSW Bap. JRE ZL1 Race cam with new springs/pushrods/Trunion Upgrade. FIC 850cc injectors. ZR1 Map sensor. CAI Induction. JRE Tune.
BlownSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #907
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Does your check engine light work? The engine symbol should come on and stay on with the key in the ignition on position, but engine not started. One position past accessory. The seat belt light should come on flashing and right below that the engine symbol should be on. If the ECM can't turn the MIL lamp on during this bulb check, there is something up there.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:00 PM   #908
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
We'll know in 2 days and a wake up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownSS View Post
(about 6 seconds)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Does your check engine light work? The engine symbol should come on and stay on with the key in the ignition on position, but engine not started. One position past accessory. The seat belt light should come on flashing and right below that the engine symbol should be on. If the ECM can't turn the MIL lamp on during this bulb check, there is something up there.
Yup. It works just fine. Exactly like that.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:07 PM   #909
PQ
Booooosted.

Any ideas and I'm still all ears. Last thing I want is to get there and be surprized.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:14 PM   #910
BlownSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Any ideas and I'm still all ears. Last thing I want is to get there and be surprized.
You mean like a drunk clown with a scary face or finding out that you have a wire unplugged?
2010 IOM SS/RS LS3, Hennessey HPE550 Polished Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger. 3.4 Pulley. Kooks long tube headers / high flow cats. GHL Full exhaust. ZL1 Fuel Pump/ADM FPCM. MSW Bap. JRE ZL1 Race cam with new springs/pushrods/Trunion Upgrade. FIC 850cc injectors. ZR1 Map sensor. CAI Induction. JRE Tune.
BlownSS is offline   Reply With Quote